Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Re: Moon dog new [Re: mike73]
      #5635867 - 01/21/13 10:36 PM

Jean,
The image you posted immediately above *appears* to be a drawing, not a photo (but I could be wrong.) That notwithstanding, the Moon's disk is blurred, not sharp-edged, and so could be taken to be due to diffusion of light by the cloud layer. The lunar disk will be quite a bit smaller than this fuzzy blob of light.

A photo which clearly reveals the dimmer halo will necessarily greatly overexpose the Moon, which even in the absence of cloud could result in something of a 'bloating' effect. And the scatter induced by the ice crystals will only accentuate this.

The math is pretty clear. A 1/2 degree Moon can only be 1/88 as large as the 44 degree diameter halo. It would be instructive to make a correctly scaled sketch to see this.

In your original drawing, it's not that the halo is undersized, but rather that the Moon is oversized. This is a virtually universal mistake. Look at how huge the Moon is usually made in the movies, for instance. The root cause is this. The very bright Moon appears relatively larger than it is compared to dimmer phenomena.

Try this. Next night out, look at the two pointer stars in the bowl of the Big Dipper (which point the way to Polaris.) By your best estimate, how many full Moons do you suppose could fit side by side between these two stars? As for myself, even knowing the answer I have to really convince myself that some 10 Moons could fit, not the 4 or 5 that my eyes mistakenly suggest.

Perhaps even better; compare the Pleiades with the Moon. The Moon appears to be larger than the whole cluster, but the Mooon can actually fit inside the 'bowl' of this miniature dipper.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JeanB
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/11/11

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Re: Moon dog new [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #5636510 - 01/22/13 09:51 AM

Excellent information, Glenn! Thank you very much. Indeed the math is quite straightforward. I looked at many photos of the moon dog and they all seem to oversize the moon. However you are quite right, in all these photo the moon is blurred and overexposed.

I will keep that in mind the next time!

Many thanks again.

Jean

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1458

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics