Observing >> Double Star Observing

Pages: 1
WRAK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/18/12

Loc: Vienna, Austria, Europe
Traps for selecting doubles from the WDS catalogue
      #5610600 - 01/07/13 05:23 PM

Selecting doubles from the WDS catalogue with required values for separation, magnitude delta etc. is a good approach for session planning - but besides the unavoidable errors in the advertised data there are also sometimes unexpected changes in the meaning of the listed values. Notably while one would expect consistent visual magnitude values here as the concept of magnitude seems explicitly a visual one there are often values in the infrared band given. So you have suddenly doubles with +8mag primaries on your list but you will find this star on no amateur star map because this magnitude is not visual.
It helps when you check the code columns after selecting - note code "K" means infrared and "R" means "red" magnitudes.
Besides the potential troubles with the magnitude values exist other traps hidden in the note codes "I" and "X" for probably bogus doubles.
Reason for this post are several Köhler doubles in Taurus with infrared magnitudes I got during my session planning for the next clear night in January I hope for.
Wilfried

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Traps for selecting doubles from the WDS catalogue new [Re: WRAK]
      #5610754 - 01/07/13 07:14 PM

Wil thanks for the mention of that.

Pere

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  PJ Anway, Rich (RLTYS), rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 336

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics