Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> ATM, Optics and DIY Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
MKV
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/20/11

Re: Ross (et al) Null testing parabolas new [Re: Ajohn]
      #5835365 - 05/01/13 10:44 PM

Quote:

Seeing mention of ray tracing test set ups I wonder if some one could post an example oslo file. So far I haven't found a method of introducing a near point source with or without a lens in the light path.

In the Surface Data spreadsheet for OBJect THICKNESS enter the the near point distance. It's in the instructions, you know.

Mladen

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Ajohn
sage

Reged: 12/03/07

Re: Ross (et al) Null testing parabolas new [Re: MKV]
      #5835754 - 05/02/13 08:00 AM

I didn't really ask the question very well MKV. Taking the problem as a whole I don't think oslo can cope with it other than being given precise source to lens and lens to mirror distances and or via sliders.

2 options on point sources - a perfect lens or a stop of pin hole diameter neither of which I believe involve changes to object distance. Not sure if the pin hole sized stop will work out or if it can be illuminated with a field angle close to 180 degrees.

John
-

radicell2

Reged: 01/15/10

Re: Ross (et al) Null testing parabolas new [Re: Mike Lockwood]
      #5857141 - 05/13/13 10:14 AM

Quote:

The 200" Hale telescope was mostly tested with Foucault, then a little bit of caustic testing, and finally Hartman mask testing in the telescope itself. Yes, a 200" f/3.3 mirror was made mostly with Foucault testing.

The 200 inch mirror was figured using a three lens null corrector designed by Ross.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, richard7, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3468

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics