Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Eyepiece Advice
      #5611621 - 01/08/13 09:59 AM

Got an Omni 102XLT f9.8 achromat. While my ES eyepieces work in it, I'm finding that it tracks well enough that I don't need all that wide-field. What eyepieces would you recommend for planetary and cluster viewing? While price is not the prime consideration, no $500 eyepieces please, and only currently available. I'be been considering Vixen LV/LW/LVW and Pentax XL/XW, but not very familiar with non-wide field eyepieces....also have a chance (good price) on a televue 3-6mm zoom, but feel this might not get much use in this scope or my 10XTi...your thoughts?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Eyepiece Advice new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5611778 - 01/08/13 11:28 AM

Pentax XW all the way! I use my 10mm and 7mm XW's with my barlow for planets @ 210x and 300x. If the sky is not happening and I need to back off on magnfication, I use my 7mm XW alone on Jupiter and sometimes Venus. I had a razor sharp view of Saturn the other morning using my 7mm XW and my barlow,(which is currently screwed onto my 2" 35mm Blue Fireball extension tube), @ 300x.

For deep sky I will always use the 10mm XW & 7mm XW's!

The glass in the XW's and LVW's is really sweet!

Cheers,

BillP
Postmaster

Reged: 11/26/06

Loc: Vienna, VA
      #5611839 - 01/08/13 12:16 PM

You have a lot of nice wide-fields already. For a different character to the view, especially for planetary, would recommend a good Ortho. Unfortunately the standards are no longer made (BGOs, UO HDs). However, the new Baader Classic Orthos (Alpine Astro sells) are very good optically. The 6mm and 10mm would be good ones to try out.

howard929

Reged: 01/02/11

Loc: Low End of High Ground
      #5611876 - 01/08/13 12:36 PM

You DO seem to be covered nicely with EP's already and just tossing out this random thought since I don't see a binoviewer listed in your sig line. What? What'd I say?

bdcmd
sage

Reged: 03/14/08

Loc: Glen Rose, Texas
      #5612046 - 01/08/13 02:20 PM

I use the 3-6 NZ on my Vixen 100mm f/9 in most observing sessions. Since most orthos are no longer available new, why not add the TV plossls (8, 11, 15) to the NZ and have a set with fairly homogeneous fov and eye relief. I actually prefer the TV plossls to orthos for most observing. YMMV.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Eyepiece Advice new [Re: howard929]
      #5612234 - 01/08/13 04:06 PM

Quote:

You DO seem to be covered nicely with EP's already and just tossing out this random thought since I don't see a binoviewer listed in your sig line. What? What'd I say?

Wha???? Now I need TWO of everything????? Sure you ain't on ES's payroll?????

dcoyle
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/11/05

Loc: Turbulent but dark skies, N.M.
      #5612267 - 01/08/13 04:29 PM

The 3-6 Nagler Zoom is an excellent planetary for resolution, IME, and 50 deg AFOV, and decent ER for non-eyeglass wearers, and who isn't, at these exit pupils?

For the f/9.8 it's a pretty small exit pupil, but on my SW 100/900, f/9, it works fine for me. I don't have much problem with floaters. The exit upil is nice for the 10", if your skies support the magnification.

Dan

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Eyepiece Advice new [Re: dcoyle]
      #5612316 - 01/08/13 05:00 PM

A set of Brandons.

Pages: 1

Extra information
24 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, cbwerner, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 382

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics