Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Sketching

Pages: 1
Chopin
Canis Insanus

Reged: 02/03/05

Loc: In the doghouse.
Jupiter 2013 01 08
      #5611638 - 01/08/13 10:11 AM

It's been a long three weeks of holiday and sickness. The day after xmas the throat began to tingle, and by this time last week I had a full blown sinus and ear infection. Woohoo. Well, since I'm guessing I'm not the only one to have suffered sleepless nights, I'll retreat from my sorrows. The worst of it has been the bitter cold and cloudy skies. Not an opportunity to pull out the scope...until last night.

I was fortunate to have an hour to spare, so I set up the small Newt without any expectations. Jupiter was the target, and I had my sketching easel ready to work. Seeing was curious. Most of the time I could make out only soft equatorial bands, along with excitedly dancing moons. But every so often the image would freeze, maybe 10/10 Pickering. These moments would last for two or three seconds before returning to mush. I estimate that I possibly experienced a dozen or so "frozen" moments. Just enough to denote major features, but not enough to study the depths of the polar regions, or the EZ. Still, I like what I could see. I had no idea that I would catch the tail end of a Europa shadow transit. Nor was I prepared for the alien surface of Jove. Being three weeks since my last sketch, it took a good 5-10 minutes just to reorient myself with what I was seeing. Initially I believed that I had witnessed a double shadow transit, with a dark point-like object preceding the GRS in the STZ. "Wait...no...is this the tiny dot that accompanied the BA a few weeks ago? No, it actually has a soft tail that is trailing." So I sketched it as I saw it and still had no idea that it was actually the dark band that had trailed the GRS previously. Then I spent some time with the SEB. Wow! What a trip. It seemed like it was breaking apart to me, with a division located centrally across the disk. The closer I looked it gave an impression of pale emptiness, but maybe something was still there??? Additionally, it was the first time that I could clearly see two distinct colors and shadings in the band, separated by undulating waves. Later I could see a pale elliptical form "dripping" from the STB. I surmised this to be BA, although I never did see the tiny companion dot. I imagine the two features meshed together for me. And then the illustration barely shows how subtle the hues of the polar regions appeared. North seemed a bit grey, while south was slightly sepia. The (assumed) festoons were rather quiet since I had last recorded them, and possibly not as obviously bluish.

Regarding the illustration, I tried my hand at a variation in technique. After recording the "eyepiece" sketch along with notes, I rehashed the drawing at the kitchen table with colored pencils. Now that I am seeing the wealth of colors that Jupiter has to offer, I am no longer content with color mapping my B+W drawing in Photoshop to achieve my vision. Also, the shades are quite a bit darker than they appeared at 110mm of aperture...whatevah!

Dang, those moments of calm were so addictive. I lust for a night with more time to try and eek out information from those darn moons...

110mm Newtonian reflector
129x, 173x
Seeing A-I, A-V (no joke)
Transparency 5/6

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JeanB
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/11/11

Loc: Montreal, Canada
Re: Jupiter 2013 01 08 new [Re: Chopin]
      #5611680 - 01/08/13 10:31 AM

Jason,

thanks for this entertaining and detailed report. Jupiter observation is always packed with pleasure. I am glad you managed to add the moons and the shadow. It adds a nice touch to your excellent sketch.

Let me tell you I am amazed by the level of details you can see with a 110mm feflector! You certainly have a keen eye my friend!

Jean

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Jupiter 2013 01 08 new [Re: JeanB]
      #5611712 - 01/08/13 10:51 AM

Welcome back, Jason.

Beautiful observation with that clumsy personal touch we can all relate to...but usually don't. Sometimes I am disoriented, spun around, and inside out. Especially on the moon, lemme tell ya...

Hey, you had some dead calm skies. Yes, addicting...they spoil you like a generous grandmother.

And two colors in one band, "HAPPY FOR YA!"

(Sorry for yelling, just in case your ear infection hasn't quite cleared.)

niteskystargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/05/09

Loc: 41-43'-28" N 87-42'-39" W
      #5612309 - 01/08/13 04:56 PM

Jason,

Very good sketch of Jupiter .

CS,KLU,

Tom

frank5817
Postmaster

Reged: 06/13/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: Jupiter 2013 01 08 new [Re: niteskystargazer]
      #5612739 - 01/08/13 09:15 PM

Jason,

This is an excellent sketch and fine narrative.
You captured Jupiter beautifully.

Frank

Ibmelrod
sage

Reged: 10/18/04

Loc: Ontario Canada
Re: Jupiter 2013 01 08 new [Re: frank5817]
      #5612778 - 01/08/13 09:48 PM

Jason,

Amazing detail that really sets a standard!

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Re: Jupiter 2013 01 08 new [Re: Ibmelrod]
      #5612882 - 01/08/13 11:03 PM

Thanks everyone! It was nice to get out again.

Heidescoper
sage

Reged: 11/21/10

Loc: Niedersachsen, Germany
      #5613074 - 01/09/13 01:58 AM

hi Jason,

very good sketch. I like Your "design" style.

Bye
Christian

stray1
sage

Reged: 09/03/12

Loc: SW Ohio
Re: Jupiter 2013 01 08 new [Re: Heidescoper]
      #5613156 - 01/09/13 05:25 AM

Heh...three weeks is a long time to wait for a look at our favorite object. I miss the Big J with a passion. Clouds have rolled back in.

Great render, Jason, I like the colored pencils to add "life" to the sketch; however, the wife and kids bought me a Bamboo art pad for Christmas, so I guess I'm going to have to go with it to add color to my pencil sketches (of whatever).

-stray-

astronz59
sage

Reged: 09/15/10

Loc: Auckland, New Zealand
      #5616621 - 01/11/13 02:49 AM

Jason, lovely capture of what I am referring to as the GPS - Great Pale Spot. Your sketch shows the GPS exactly as I see it with my 102 mm refractor. I am envious of our better equiped collegues who are seeing it with a distinct colour!

PeterDob
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/29/05

Loc: CarĂ¹, Italy
Re: Jupiter 2013 01 08 new [Re: astronz59]
      #5616677 - 01/11/13 04:26 AM

Superb drawing, Jason! Moreover because you made it with a modest instrument. It clearly shows that you've got a very high level of observation skill, combined with a lot of drawing talent.

Peter

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Jupiter 2013 01 08 new [Re: PeterDob]
      #5617373 - 01/11/13 02:32 PM

Nice work Jason. Your hues and intensities are first rate. A lot of intriguing details in that rich image. The whole piece is one refined success and reflects the true visual experience with fidelity.

I used to think seeing tossed up better moments of 10/10 seeing if even quickly but I've come to believe the laminar airflow needed ho truly produce 10/10 seeing can only be realistically supported by at least 8/10 seeing as opposed to say, a 5 Pickering seeing sky interspersed with 10. I think seeing can give the illusion of excellence even if its just 7/10 seeing on a 5/10 night by virtue of relative calmness and contrast enhancement. When 10 finally hits and its really ten for me its just short of a religious experience with contrasts I hadn't even delivered possible . Lol it's been too long.

One of your best Jason. Really an exquisite piece.

Pete

Rob55

Reged: 12/15/12

Loc: Fort Polk, LA USA
Re: Jupiter 2013 01 08 new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5619851 - 01/12/13 09:39 PM

Wow, what talent. I saw Jupiter and moons for the first time in my own scope on 6 JAN 13. I will never be able to draw like that. Will you send me a large file I can print and frame?

JimPie
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/10/07

Loc: S.E.Michigan
Re: Jupiter 2013 01 08 new [Re: Rob55]
      #5620862 - 01/13/13 02:00 PM

Jason, Beautiful sketch of Jupiter .
I too have been plagued with poor nights for observing. Glad you got some time in.AND Hope your feeling better!

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Re: Jupiter 2013 01 08 new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5624021 - 01/15/13 09:01 AM

Again, everyone, thank you so much for the kind words. Jupiter is just a blast to look at in any instrument. But best are the times when high magnification and cooperative atmosphere come together.

Quote:

Nice work Jason. Your hues and intensities are first rate. A lot of intriguing details in that rich image. The whole piece is one refined success and reflects the true visual experience with fidelity.

I used to think seeing tossed up better moments of 10/10 seeing if even quickly but I've come to believe the laminar airflow needed ho truly produce 10/10 seeing can only be realistically supported by at least 8/10 seeing as opposed to say, a 5 Pickering seeing sky interspersed with 10. I think seeing can give the illusion of excellence even if its just 7/10 seeing on a 5/10 night by virtue of relative calmness and contrast enhancement. When 10 finally hits and its really ten for me its just short of a religious experience with contrasts I hadn't even delivered possible . Lol it's been too long.

One of your best Jason. Really an exquisite piece.

Pete

Pete, you are likely spot on with your estimations. Given my propensity to always draw the GRS too large (scale illusion) I probably struggle with accurate assessment of seeing levels, too (turbulence illusion). Those brief, tranquil moments do indeed come across as extremely detailed when buffered by mush on either side, but you're right that 10/10 is probably a stretch. That's why I try to avoid the Pickering scale when denoting the conditions, where as Antoniadi feels easier to grasp...at least for these novice eyes.

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
      #5625328 - 01/15/13 10:21 PM

Jason,

Excellent observation and rendering. You saw some great detail with your modest aperture when the seeing steadied for you (as a general rule of thumb, seeing trumps aperture).

I too have been under a persistent overcast and had the flu, but just happened to look at Jupiter a couple of hours after your observation. The seeing for me was below average but trending towards improvement so there were good moments.

By the time I looked, the GRS had rotated to the preceding limb and I got a good view of the turbulence following the GRS as well as the reddish color of the NEB and the blue of the festoons that you captured so well. Also the very dark STB which is following the GRS as well as preceding it as you show.

Unfortunately, I had to work the next day and couldn't wait for the seeing to improve to make a sketch so I packed it in.

Interestingly, three of the Galilean moons were in a diagonal line (like Orion's belt) preceding the planet.

Chopin
Canis Insanus

Re: Jupiter 2013 01 08 new [Re: Special Ed]
      #5625447 - 01/15/13 11:34 PM

Thanks for the comments, Michael. As I understand from more recent observations, made by others, the SEB is undergoing a reasonable change. Quite interesting. It's great that you caught the satellites in a "slash" formation. I was tickled by the triangle that presented while I observed that night.

As for that seeing vs aperture comment, although I generally agree, I'm still pumped about my 10" project. I'm closing in on the home stretch... just need to finish painting the tube and constructing the curved spider.

Dean Norris
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/08

Loc: Santa Cruz, Ca
      #5626366 - 01/16/13 03:11 PM

Jason,

Excellent sketch of Jupiter with the moons. I'm glad you had some great seeing.

Dean

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, JayinUT, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 897

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics