Thank you! I want to give this a try.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Darren Drake
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/09/02

Loc: Chicagoland
Re: Another Level of Hard new [Re: Patricko]
      #5623643 - 01/14/13 11:33 PM

I gave this a good shot tonight in the 18 inch. At first when the seeing was about a 7.5 outa 10 I couldn't see the companion. After a while the seeing improved to about an 8.5 outa 10 so I went back. Success! The very faint companion was most definitely there. I was using a paracorr and a 5.5mm Apogee super easyview eyepiece for a mag of 410X. Experienced observer Dan Joyce was there to confirm. (I also showed him the resolved disk of Ceres.)This was fairly difficult in an 18 inch and I can only imagine how hard it would be in a 6 inch Mak. That observation takes some major dedication. Good job Norme!

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

Reged: 08/08/07

Loc: La Union, PI
Re: Another Level of Hard new [Re: Darren Drake]
      #5623705 - 01/15/13 12:38 AM

Thank you Darren. I am happy to hear you report success and that there is indeed a companion.

You know, that kind of spurred a little debate on what it means to resolve a double (again.) Surely seeing a companion as a distinct disc is resolution, maybe a faint flicker of light is not. The former should be relatively less time consuming if the companion forms nicely. The latter, well, I did not realize I was observing it for nearly an hour. My problem is not liking to fail, so I'll persist if there is the slightest chance of success. But, in the end, really there might not have been a reasonable 'split' in the six inch: faint flicker of light as opposed to a steady disc.

A disc on Ceres? Now, that seems a feat. Congratulations, Darren.

Darren Drake
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Another Level of Hard new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5638467 - 01/23/13 09:12 AM

Am I the only one here to get this one? I am wondering who out there tried with no luck in good seeing. A negative result is also valuable info...

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

#5638548 - 01/23/13 10:03 AM

You got it? Cool! What scope? I am wondering if either of your 8" scopes can do it.

I've tried once since. You know, I guess it depends on what you call a split. For me, it's certainly not a nice looking pair, as it were.

Darren Drake
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Another Level of Hard new [Re: Asbytec]
      #5638592 - 01/23/13 10:22 AM

Right as mentioned above I got it on 1/14 in my 18 inch. It was quite difficult even in that big scope. Seeing wasn't the best however.

Asbytec
Guy in a furry hat

#5638781 - 01/23/13 11:55 AM

Ah, okay, I thought you made another attempt. Curious that it was not easy, though. I am learning close, unequal pairs are not as easy as they sound. I guess it could be difficult in an 18", too, for many of the same reasons it's difficult in any aperture capable of splitting that separation: dim companion and diffraction.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  PJ Anway, Rich (RLTYS), rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1827

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics