Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
hoa101

Reged: 02/04/12

Loc: Northern Virginia
Mount for 100mm F/9 refractor
      #5611722 - 01/08/13 10:55 AM

I currently own a 10" dob and a 100mm Skywatcher Pro, which each serve their purposes. I like to drag the SW100ED into the yard for quick views, or break out the big dob for my trips to "dark" sky sites nearby. I have a versa-go mount for the 100ED.

Lately though, the amount of vibration resulting from focusing or nudging the scope to track an object (especially at high power) is driving me crazy. Also, that is typically the scope I break out for non-astronomer guests. Then those issues are even more pronounced. I have to constantly kick people off the eyepiece in order to readjust. Guests also accidentally touch the OTA or whatever and cause many seconds of vibration, which ruins the experience a bit.

Would you all recommend one of the lighter EQ mounts? Perhaps some sort of fancier alt-az mount with gears? I need it to be light enough that lugging it out of the house for 30 minutes does not seem like a huge chore. However, I also need to minimize or eliminate vibration, either through an EQ system or with some sort of gears, etc.

So, thoughts? Thanks for the help.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
michael hester
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/28/08

Re: Mount for 100mm F/9 refractor new [Re: hoa101]
      #5611737 - 01/08/13 11:01 AM

You'll need something with a little beef in it if you're sick of vibration. I'd try a Celestron CG-4. I think a Vixen Porta 2 might work too but I don't have one of those.

Adam Taylor
insignificant bystander

Reged: 11/11/10

Loc: Arizona
Re: Mount for 100mm F/9 refractor new [Re: hoa101]
      #5612062 - 01/08/13 02:25 PM

I had my SW100ED mounted on an Orion SkyView Pro EQ mount, which is currently on sale. A good value in my opinion. The head has a bit more mass than a CG-4, which is a plus. I was always suprised how solid this combination was, considering the length of the OTA. I didn't experience any focusing, or eye to eyecup vibration.

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

Re: Mount for 100mm F/9 refractor new [Re: Adam Taylor]
      #5612230 - 01/08/13 04:05 PM

The Vixen Porta needs wooden legs, the stock extruded aluminum ones are jiggly, its not the scopes weight, its its length that causes the problem,DA.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Mount for 100mm F/9 refractor new [Re: Binojunky]
      #5612251 - 01/08/13 04:21 PM Attachment (16 downloads)

I use an old Vixen Polaris mount with a Celestron 9v RA drive. Very simple & light weight grab n go. Stability is very good on the Vixen wood legs.

Gary Riley
sage

Reged: 12/01/11

Loc: White Bluff, TN
Re: Mount for 100mm F/9 refractor new [Re: SteveG]
      #5612498 - 01/08/13 06:46 PM

+1 for the CG-4 mount ( with 1.75 inch dia. SST legs). Use the mount on my 4 inch f/9.8 (1000mm fl) refractor. Very, very little vibration when focusing.

Gary

AlienRatDog
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/15/05

Loc: Ann Arbor
Re: Mount for 100mm F/9 refractor new [Re: Gary Riley]
      #5612605 - 01/08/13 07:51 PM

CG5 works good...

Pat at home
sage

Reged: 03/16/07

Loc: Campbellton, New Brunswick, Ca...
Re: Mount for 100mm F/9 refractor new [Re: AlienRatDog]
      #5613711 - 01/09/13 01:13 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

Don't laugh too hard at my home made tripod but I have an ED100 that came on a mostly unusable AZ3. I did away with the extruded aluminium legs and replaced with fixed wooden ones. Only a tiny bit heavier but it did turn a useless mount into an enjoyable one. The altitude worm gear still has some backlash but the mount does not jiggle when focussing or slewing.

hoa101

Re: Mount for 100mm F/9 refractor new [Re: AlienRatDog]
      #5613718 - 01/09/13 01:17 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. I will look into those.

Quote:

CG5 works good...

I think the CG5 does not meet my portability criteria. I also like how the "poor" student recommended the most expensive mount of the bunch.

dennilfloss
sage

Reged: 01/06/13

Loc: Ottawa, Canada
Re: Mount for 100mm F/9 refractor new [Re: Pat at home]
      #5613960 - 01/09/13 03:52 PM

Quote:

Don't laugh too hard at my home made tripod but I have an ED100 that came on a mostly unusable AZ3. I did away with the extruded aluminium legs and replaced with fixed wooden ones. Only a tiny bit heavier but it did turn a useless mount into an enjoyable one. The altitude worm gear still has some backlash but the mount does not jiggle when focussing or slewing.

To me that looks very nice. Maybe add some varnish that matches the tint of your window sills and it could just remain there when not in use and totally fit the decor.

frolinmod
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/06/10

Loc: Southern California
Re: Mount for 100mm F/9 refractor new [Re: dennilfloss]
      #5614148 - 01/09/13 05:42 PM

I wouldn't laugh at all. That looks excellent. Much better than the spindly tripod legs that come with most small mounts. Good job!

hoa101

Re: Mount for 100mm F/9 refractor new [Re: frolinmod]
      #5614661 - 01/09/13 10:56 PM

Those legs would support a small automobile. Nice.

People seem to charge a premium for Vixen Polaris because they are "out-of-print" these days. For the price of a VP I could get a Skyview Pro (on sale), which seems the better deal except that it is a bit less portable.

Edited by hoa101 (01/09/13 11:02 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
17 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 716

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics