Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

CN Feedback and Vendor Announcements >> Vendor and Group Announcements

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: New Celestron Products announced at CES new [Re: frebie]
      #5615809 - 01/10/13 04:12 PM

Quote:

We would assume that you would still have to do a polar alignment with a German equatorial mount if you wanted the mount to find and/or track anything. Altazimuth mounts (ike the CPC, CPC DX, NexStar SE, NexStar SLT, LCM, etc.) do not require polar alignment.

Attached is a pic of the StarSense.

What's the usb port for? USB scopes or does it have an onboard lit-ion battery and the port is for charging the battery? The camera needs some sort of power I would think.. And more current.. More than the Aux port (amps) could provide? Future update expansion as well?

I guess it has it's own hand controller???

The StarSense Adapter is now on Celestrons Site Here:

http://www.celestron.com/astronomy/celestron-starsense-accessory.html

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: New Celestron Products announced at CES new [Re: Lee Jay]
      #5615818 - 01/10/13 04:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I've just tried it, the latitude scale range is 0 to 75 and it will adjust to just below 0 without hitting anything.

BUT it's never been mentioned that it will work in alt azm mode and there is currently no option to switch the HC to an AltAz mode.

An AltAz mode would need significantly different firmware because in previous mounts the hour angle axis is equivalent to azimuth and the dec to altitude. If the mount it set to zero latitude then the dec axis becomes equivalent to azimuth and the hour angle axis altitude, i.e. reversed.

I would assume that it is not a dual use mount unless Celestron says that it is.

Chris

If it can physically do it, then Celestron would be foolish not to spend the time to give the software this capability, when they clearly already have this capability in other versions of their mounts, both dedicated alt-az such as Nexstar and dual-use such as CPC on a wedge or the new AZ-EQ6.

You would need to go to 90 deg latitude to have an alt azm mode. At zero deg the axes are the wrong way round and it would be really complicated.

I'm going to continue on the thread in the Mounts section, it seems more appropriate.

Chris

wolfman_4_ever
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/11

Loc: El Segundo, Ca, So. Cal
Re: New Celestron Products announced at CES new [Re: cn register 5]
      #5615829 - 01/10/13 04:23 PM

"The StarSense Accessory includes a small digital camera that attaches to the telescope’s optical tube, along with a specialized hand controller. Just set up the accessory, push the Align button on the hand controller, and StarSense starts capturing and comparing images of the night sky against its internal database of 40,000 celestial objects. In about three minutes, StarSense will gather enough information to triangulate its position and align itself. Then, press the Sky Tour button: StarSense will automatically slew to all the best stars, planets, galaxies, and more based on your exact time and location."

Almost.. not completely, but almost seems like it replaces your current computer...

frebieAdministrator
Chief assistant to the assistant chief

Reged: 04/29/08

Loc: Neither here nor there.
Re: New Celestron Products announced at CES new [Re: Peter in Reno]
      #5615879 - 01/10/13 04:53 PM

Quote:

Hi frebie,

Can you find out if the back focus distance for C-8 EdgeHD focal reducer is 105mm? I am hoping it's a typo. I was really hoping they would maintain the same back focus distance as for F/10 which is 133mm.

Celestron should know better that 105mm is too short for many imaging equipment. What about Adaptive Optics, rotator, etc? 105mm will not work with these equipment.
Peter

I hate to assume anything, but I would suspect that the 105mm figure is correct, as it appears both online on the Celestron site and in the new product information that they sent to dealers and handed out at CES. I'll ask, but I don't think it's going to turn out to be a typo.

I would further hazard a guess that they feel that the 8" OTA is going to be used primarily by beginning imagers, as their web page says specifically "Optimized for APS-C sized sensors, including most DSLR cameras and Nightscape CCD cameras." I get the feeling that they assume that the more serious imagers with long multi-component imaging chains are more prone to use 11" and 14" OTAs, or a dedicated astrograph, rather than an 8" scope. Optical design constraints may also play a role, as designing this thing was a much more involved process than simply resizing the larger reducers.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: New Celestron Products announced at CES new [Re: frebie]
      #5616005 - 01/10/13 06:23 PM

105mm is the same distance that the original 0.63 focal reducer used. The original accessories, such as the OAG were designed for this with a T ring on a film camera.

I'd have no trouble using this with a CCD (17mm) and a filter wheel (23mm), that leaves 65mm for connectors and spacers. The original OAG was 50mm so I'd need a 15mm spacer. All I need now is the 8" ED and the FR

Chris

Peter in Reno
Postmaster

Reged: 07/15/08

Loc: Reno, NV
Re: New Celestron Products announced at CES new [Re: cn register 5]
      #5616024 - 01/10/13 06:33 PM

I am aware of the original F/6.3 FR back focus distance. It's the way Celestron has been advertising that's somewhat misleading. First they started selling FR for C-11/C-14 EdgeHD gloating about maintaining same long back focus distance with or without FR. To me, they implied that they would do the same thing to C-8 EdgeHD focal reducer.

I have no issues of getting 105mm back focus but it's going to be less convenient and tighter than I had planned. If the original C-8 EdgeHD forces people to set to the recommended back focus of 133mm, don't you think it's backwards to force us to reduce BF with FR. What if people spent big bucks on buying equipment to tightly fit in 133mm BF and now they can't do that anymore? It forced me to cancel the order for ONAG due to lack of back focus distance. ONAG would have worked for 133mm BF but not with FR. That does not sound good business to me.

Peter

Edited by Peter in Reno (01/10/13 06:48 PM)

VectorRoll

Reged: 11/27/12

Re: New Celestron Products announced at CES new [Re: Peter in Reno]
      #5620531 - 01/13/13 11:04 AM

With all these new products coming out, I have to ask.
Are they going to be discontinuing older products and selling them at a discount any time soon, like what has been done before for some vendors?

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: New Celestron Products announced at CES new [Re: VectorRoll]
      #5620895 - 01/13/13 02:16 PM

Common sense would indicate that the CG-5 is toast. It's been selling at a substantial discount (unofficial) for some time.

frebieAdministrator
Chief assistant to the assistant chief

Reged: 04/29/08

Loc: Neither here nor there.
Re: New Celestron Products announced at CES new [Re: VectorRoll]
      #5621033 - 01/13/13 03:12 PM

The Advanced Series scopes and CG-5 go-to mount have been discontinued and may no longer be available from Celestron. Their dealer website lists all the discontinued products as "Call for availability," which usually means they might have a few pieces left, but are about to run out. I doubt that Celestron has enough inventory for a reduced price sale. The optical tubes can all be used on the new VX mounts, so there would be no need to sell those at a reduced price.

I think that any sales are going to come at the dealer level. At Astronomics, we have already closed out all of the discontinued Advanced Series scopes and mounts we had in stock at sale prices, with the exception of one last 10" Newtonian on a CG-5 mount which is going at $200 off its former price.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: New Celestron Products announced at CES new [Re: wolfman_4_ever]
      #5623611 - 01/14/13 11:02 PM

Quote:

"The StarSense Accessory includes a small digital camera that attaches to the telescope’s optical tube, along with a specialized hand controller. Just set up the accessory, push the Align button on the hand controller, and StarSense starts capturing and comparing images of the night sky against its internal database of 40,000 celestial objects. In about three minutes, StarSense will gather enough information to triangulate its position and align itself. Then, press the Sky Tour button: StarSense will automatically slew to all the best stars, planets, galaxies, and more based on your exact time and location."

Almost.. not completely, but almost seems like it replaces your current computer...

Unless I don’t understand what this thing does….. It automates the typical Celestron GEM initialization procedure, i.e., the old “two stars plus calibration stars” drill. Using this unit you no longer have to center the stars and push buttons. You “push one button” and the procedure is then automated.

I’d rather do it myself and have the 300 bucks in my pocket. However, I can see it being of value for a remote control of the mount, for people who need to be doing other things when setting up, or for lazy people.

In my case, I mostly now observe with both Obsession 20 and ES127ED on a CG-5. It would be nice to have the refractor’s mount doing the initialization routine itself while I did the same with the Dob, but….. I can’t see spending 300 bucks for that.

aberrs

Reged: 08/23/11

Re: New Celestron Products announced at CES new [Re: George N]
      #5623689 - 01/15/13 12:21 AM

((I am still curious what the USB port is for...))

oo_void
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/13/09

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Re: New Celestron Products announced at CES new [Re: aberrs]
      #5625181 - 01/15/13 08:53 PM

You can call me "Lazy" then ...

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: New Celestron Products announced at CES new [Re: oo_void]
      #5626579 - 01/16/13 04:54 PM

Celestron now has a FAQ page on the StarSense Accessory here: web page

Peter in Reno
Postmaster

Reged: 07/15/08

Loc: Reno, NV
Re: New Celestron Products announced at CES new [Re: George N]
      #5626652 - 01/16/13 05:34 PM

After reading the FAQ, I have a feeling the USB port on StarSense is for upgrading the firmware, just like NexStar hand controller.

I am curious. If the Star Sense camera is not well sync with the main scope, then how accurate will the GoTo be for the main scope? Maybe another purpose for USB port is for syncing the Star Sense camera with the main scope. Star Sense may come with a PC software to allow you to view the Star Sense camera on the computer monitor and center both Star Sense camera and the main scope. You may have to do this only once.

Peter

C8er

Reged: 09/15/12

Re: New Celestron Products announced at CES new [Re: aberrs]
      #5641466 - 01/24/13 08:54 PM

With regard to the use for the second port on the starsense accessory, Baader's website has a news pdf that says this below about the starsense accessory's extra port.

"More features
But that´s not all of the advantage. The Star-Sense camera has two ports – one to connect to the scope, the other one is an USB port that can be connected to the computer for software updates – and to use the photos of the camera for other purposes, like autoguiding or for wide angle astrophotography.

Celestron is currently working on several software
adaptations to further increase the functionality of the
amazing StarSense module."

Celestron's website (their blog about the starsense accessory) says the starsense accessory cannot "currently" be used for autoguiding because its camera is only 20mm and f2. They do have a cryptic comment though saying they acknowledge feedback on that, and they use the words "not currently" able to be used to autoguide.

Also this from the baader news pdf on the starsense accessory

"T-Point functionality.
Another advantage is the possibility to extremely increase the positioning accuracy by a „TPoint“ like mapping function. You can „map“ as many stars as you want - means, you point the telescope to a star, center it exactly and save the position with pressing ENTER. That´s it – and
after mapping 10 stars this way, the pointing accuracy is equal to that of a highly professional mount!"

Is that possibly a replacment for what used to be calibration stars on the older HCs, when the accessory and its new HC are used on an EQ mount, or is it something different?

Also this from the baader pdf about using the accessory on EQ mounts.

"Equatorial mounts with Star Sense
„Star Sense“ can also be attached onto equatorial
mounts. At first the user has to do a short
polar alignment with the revolutionary Celestron
„All Star Alignment“. It is only necessary to
drive to one single star and center it with the
ALT and AZ axis. It does not matter wich star
it is, Polaris must not be
visible.

After performing this rudimentary „All Star Alignment“, the „StarSense“ electronic takes over
and takes 3 photos of the sky to find orientation. No
input of the user is necessary, no coordinates, no
time, no alignment stars. 3 minutes later you
can use the telescope!"

I don't know whether those things from baader are correct or not, but that is what they are saying about this beast.

Cheers.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
7 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5335

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics