Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: Damo636]
      #5391146 - 08/28/12 10:10 AM

Quote:

My 2" Celestron OIII filter doesn't screw onto my new 30mm easily, but my Baader tuning rings "spin" on without any effort.

Oddly enough, the filter screws onto the rings just as easily as the rings go onto the EP...

My 2" Celestron O-III filter, (which is really made by Baader), would screw onto my 2" Antares Twist Lock adapters, but I would have problems trying to get it to screw onto some of my 2" eyepieces, so I took the 2" Celestron O-III filter out of the cell and I switched it with my Orion 2" 13% Neutral density filter....I basically switched the filters out from each cell.

When doing this, it was difficult as I had to make sure that I didn't "cross thread" the retaining rings back onto the cells. A good strong pair of glasses helped in doing this.

Now my Celestron O-III filter with the Orion filter cell, screws onto all of my eyepieces easily.

I don't use my 13% Moon filter that much, so all is good. I also tried screwing the moon filter, with the New O-III cell onto all of my eyepieces and it goes on a bit better now...go figure, LOL!

I took pics of both filter cells and you can clearly see that the Celestron threads on the original O-III filter cell is slightly more narrow than the Orion one.

Cheers,

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5391352 - 08/28/12 12:13 PM

I think ES eyepieces are excellent in all regards except they screwed up their filter threads.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: Gastrol]
      #5391373 - 08/28/12 12:22 PM

Quote:

I think ES eyepieces are excellent in all regards except they screwed up their filter threads.

Certainly isn't what I've experienced. As I mentioned, all my filters screw on my ES30 very smoothly. There must have been a few that the filter threads are not up to standard, but that doesn't apply to all ES eyepieces. Also, with their warranty, buyers can certainly be covered in case their eyepiece threads are bad. As mentioned, sometimes the fault lies with the filter, not the eyepiece. Orion was one that was very tempramental to thread onto all of my eyepieces, including ES, TV, Pentax.

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5391385 - 08/28/12 12:29 PM

That was pun intended, btw.
What annoyed me was of the several different 2" ep's I've owned over the years this particular ep was the first that ever gave me this sort of problem. And now I'm finding out others are also having similar issues.

ngc2289
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/13/05

Loc: Corpus Christi, TX.
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: Tank]
      #5392421 - 08/28/12 11:22 PM

Hey Tank, I bought one of the old style 30mm ES 82 series eyepieces from Woodland Hills. I used the link you provided. Thank you for the link! We now return to our regularly scheduled programing.

killdabuddha
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/26/11

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: ngc2289]
      #5485557 - 10/23/12 04:08 PM

It's not ES, at least in our case. We got the 2" Orion Ultrablock and 13% moon filter, two of each for BVing. Amongst these 4, one of each pair will thread onto our ISTAR star diagonals and 31mm Baader Aspherics, but the other two filters will not.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: ngc2289]
      #5485610 - 10/23/12 04:37 PM

Quote:

Hey Tank, I bought one of the old style 30mm ES 82 series eyepieces from Woodland Hills. I used the link you provided. Thank you for the link! We now return to our regularly scheduled programing.

Oh yes, and if the filters don't fit---Smash'em!!

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5485655 - 10/23/12 04:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Certainly isn't what I've experienced. As I mentioned, all my filters screw on my ES30 very smoothly. There must have been a few that the filter threads are not up to standard, but that doesn't apply to all ES eyepieces. Also, with their warranty, buyers can certainly be covered in case their eyepiece threads are bad. As mentioned, sometimes the fault lies with the filter, not the eyepiece. Orion was one that was very tempramental to thread onto all of my eyepieces, including ES, TV, Pentax.

My experience is that 2 inch filters are pretty touchy, the threads are large diameter and fine and the material is very thin, it all adds up to variations between filters and eyepieces.

Like Mark's, my 2 inch Celestron O-III is also particularly touchy, it is very tight on the 31mm Nagler, fits nicely on the 20mm... My 2 inch Ultrablock is also pretty tight in some, a reasonable fit in others.

Jon

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: killdabuddha]
      #5485665 - 10/23/12 05:04 PM

Quote:

It's not ES, at least in our case. We got the 2" Orion Ultrablock and 13% moon filter, two of each for BVing. Amongst these 4, one of each pair will thread onto our ISTAR star diagonals and 31mm Baader Aspherics, but the other two filters will not.

Exactly, it's the Orion filters.

bherv
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/10/06

Loc: WMass
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5485902 - 10/23/12 07:26 PM

I have had trouble threading my Orion filters onto my ES eyepieces at times. I used a Lumicon filter last time out and it threaded onto my ES 30 no problem. I agree that the Orion filters have thread issues.
Barry

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: bherv]
      #5485970 - 10/23/12 08:10 PM

A couple years ago I talked to the production manager at Lumicon. he said that he considered the Lumicon filter threads to be a little undersized, but that it was necessary because a sample of 500 eyepieces showed a HUGE variation in I.D., thread depth, thread cut cleanliness, etc.
So they used the smallest size they measured to determine the thread size they needed, and as a result, never had a customer complain about a non-fit.

Through the years I've had other brands of filters that also didn't fit (it's a REALLY common problem with Orion filters), and here is what I've done:
--use an eyepiece with a steel or brass barrel, not aluminum
--thread the filter in until it catches.
--force the filter 1/8 turn further and then back the filter out completely.
--thread the filter in until it catches
--repeat the 1/8 turn further routine until the filter threads into the eyepiece.

In such a way, the filter is essentially being 'rethreaded' by the action similar to how a tap works to thread a hole.

Long before the Scots were considered thrifty, the Dutch were considered tight with their money. A machinist friend of mine refers to this as a "Dutchman's Thread Chase" because it's cheap and easy to do--especially while watching TV.

My Orion filters all thread in all the way....now.

bherv
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/10/06

Loc: WMass
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: Starman1]
      #5486102 - 10/23/12 09:43 PM

Don,
That is basically what I did with my Orion filters and ES eyepieces. I just kept threading them in and out until they went on smoothly. I do sometimes still have trouble getting the threads to catch but once they do I can thread them on fine.
Barry

killdabuddha
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/26/11

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: Starman1]
      #5486104 - 10/23/12 09:44 PM

Thanks Don, bherv. Will do.

boblakewood
sage

Reged: 04/26/06

Loc: Vlg of Lakewood IL
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: bherv]
      #5490379 - 10/26/12 02:54 PM

I have a ES100 14mm and orion moon filter and ultablock filter. Both filters thread onto the ES ep easily...in fact easier than on my E21.

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: boblakewood]
      #5611523 - 01/08/13 08:44 AM

Time to resurrect this thread!

I just tried threading my 2" Orion Ultrablock onto my 34mm ES 68 and it was a bit touchy at first, but once I got it to catch, it threaded all of the way on!

Cheers,

howard929

Reged: 01/02/11

Loc: Low End of High Ground
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5611755 - 01/08/13 11:11 AM

Quote:

Time to resurrect this thread!

I just tried threading my 2" Orion Ultrablock onto my 34mm ES 68 and it was a bit touchy at first, but once I got it to catch, it threaded all of the way on!

Cheers,

Not that it's worth much but I won't buy any Synta branded filter of any type because of threading issues I personally noticed. Lumicon and Baader so far, seem OK so I'll stick with those.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep [Re: howard929]
      #5612228 - 01/08/13 04:03 PM

The Orion nebula filters are made in Korea, not by Synta. But standardization of threads has always been a problem. Fortunately, filters are light. A couple threads catching is all you need.

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: Filters will not thread on New 30mm ES ep new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5619629 - 01/12/13 06:47 PM

Quote:

I think the question to be asked is why there is no international standard for eyepiece filter threads, not why brand X filter doesn't fit brand Y threads.

Some filter threads fit better on some eyepieces than others, but if they have threads I have always been able to get them to stay on with less thread turns. I belive different filter suppliers and eyepiece makers make threads a little different to get you to want to buy their version.

I mostly use an astrocrumb filter slide now, and some filters don't thread so nicely on that either but they do stay on; and I don't have to fumble in the cold (and drop them like I used to).

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3745

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics