Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
m1618

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: Orange County - CA
Meade Field Tripod Hub Replacement
      #5612255 - 01/08/13 04:22 PM Attachment (31 downloads)

Are there any known replacement hubs (the plate? the part that all the legs attach to) for a Meade Field Tripod (LX)?

Got the tripod from a user on CN but the tripod arrived broken on 2 of the 3 legs of the hub. Seller blames USPS but I doubt corrosion happened enroute. Anyhow, I digress.

Meade does not sell the hub alone. Wondering if there's an EQ head alternative that can use these legs?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mak7
sage

Reged: 09/29/07

Loc: light polluted Phoenix AZ
Re: Meade Field Tripod Hub Replacement new [Re: m1618]
      #5612489 - 01/08/13 06:42 PM

Short of buying another tripod, get to a hardware store for some JB Weld metal glue. Seems to work on metal and aluminum and is stronger than the original.
A friend used it to repair a broken stern clamp arm on an outboard motor and it is still going strong 6 years later.

Worth a try and cheap enough to try. Hopefully you have the parts still.
Brad

m1618

Re: Meade Field Tripod Hub Replacement new [Re: mak7]
      #5612712 - 01/08/13 09:04 PM

It looks as if the previous owner already tried that! The way it broke off... must be some bad casting. Looked like cement not metal. Trying to put a heavy LX200 SCT on it so JB Weld would get me nervous.

Wishing there was a compatible EQ that I can defork to... or someone have a spare hub? OR anyone needs spare legs?

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
      #5612794 - 01/08/13 10:03 PM

it is aluminum. there are some types of welders that can weld aluminum.

if i had it i would try to tap a hole in the tab so that i could bolt it from the other side. i would also reinforce the tap with little aluminum brackets. and on top put JB weld.

StarmanDan
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/27/07

Loc: Deep in the heart of Texas
Re: Meade Field Tripod Hub Replacement new [Re: orlyandico]
      #5613038 - 01/09/13 01:10 AM

Happened to me with an older tripod too. Had a friend weld it back on. Works as good as new!

Raginar
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Rapid CIty, SD
Re: Meade Field Tripod Hub Replacement new [Re: StarmanDan]
      #5614504 - 01/09/13 09:10 PM

Find Jack Huerkamp, he was making LX80 replacement 'heads'. Perhaps you could mail him the broken head and he could have his supplier fashion you a new one.

He sells the Mallincams in the states. website here:http://mallincam.tripod.com/

Good luck!

m1618

Re: Meade Field Tripod Hub Replacement new [Re: Raginar]
      #5617445 - 01/11/13 03:14 PM Attachment (17 downloads)

Im now using a hub originally for the advanced field tripod used on ETX 125s... and noticed these hubs are better designed??

On that...Can anyone shed light on why tripods in general uses tension hubs and extension struts (those thin awkward bars at the bottom of tripods) instead of a "stopper" at the hub?

ryanr256

Reged: 04/21/09

Loc: Southwest Ohio
      #5617812 - 01/11/13 07:12 PM

I have this:

I don't think it's an exact match though. But maybe you can make it work?

-Bob

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Meade Field Tripod Hub Replacement new [Re: ryanr256]
      #5620872 - 01/13/13 02:04 PM

Quote:

I have this:

Looks like a replacement hub I got from my dealer's inventory clear out. I used it to repair a broken tripod. The only problem was that the threads in the leg hinge tabs were tight (6mm?) I had to run them out to 1/4-20. Later tripods are cast in China. I've found Meade's Chinese castings to be very high in silica. This makes them brittle. With a better alloy the hub's design may have been OK, in the cheaper alloy the casting isn't heavy enough.

The #887 (Advanced Field Tripod) that was sold with the LX10 and as an optional ETX tripod was not adjustable and had no spreaders to bring down the cost. The heavy blocks outside the hub are to restrain the legs in the erect position. Otherwise it's the same hub.

These tripods are attached to the scopes in two ways. For the early LX scopes that came with a wedge a 1/2-13 threaded rod with 3" handwheels at each end threaded through the center hole. Under the hub a 3 legged rigid spreader was installed over the rod. The rod then was threaded through the hub and tension applied stiffening the tripod. The wedge was then fit on the rod thread above the hub then the handwheel was installed to retain it. Three additional 5/16-16 bolts secured the wedge to the hub.

For the later LX scopes with no wedge the 1/2-13 threaded rod had one 3" handwheel at one end. It ran through the center hole, which was smooth bored, where it was retained by a circlip. The same 3 legged rigid spreader was installed over the rod under the hub. The scope's mount was centered over the hub and the rod was threaded into the mount and tension applied both securing the mount and stiffening the tripod.

m1618

Re: Meade Field Tripod Hub Replacement new [Re: Geo.]
      #5621320 - 01/13/13 05:46 PM

Quote:

The heavy blocks outside the hub are to restrain the legs in the erect position. Otherwise it's the same hub.

I wish Meade made them all with the blocks.
If someone were to have a broken strut, the legs would be like a deer on a frozen lake.

ryanr256

Reged: 04/21/09

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Re: Meade Field Tripod Hub Replacement new [Re: Geo.]
      #5625464 - 01/15/13 11:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I have this:

Looks like a replacement hub I got from my dealer's inventory clear out. I used it to repair a broken tripod. The only problem was that the threads in the leg hinge tabs were tight (6mm?) I had to run them out to 1/4-20. Later tripods are cast in China. I've found Meade's Chinese castings to be very high in silica. This makes them brittle. With a better alloy the hub's design may have been OK, in the cheaper alloy the casting isn't heavy enough.

The #887 (Advanced Field Tripod) that was sold with the LX10 and as an optional ETX tripod was not adjustable and had no spreaders to bring down the cost. The heavy blocks outside the hub are to restrain the legs in the erect position. Otherwise it's the same hub.

These tripods are attached to the scopes in two ways. For the early LX scopes that came with a wedge a 1/2-13 threaded rod with 3" handwheels at each end threaded through the center hole. Under the hub a 3 legged rigid spreader was installed over the rod. The rod then was threaded through the hub and tension applied stiffening the tripod. The wedge was then fit on the rod thread above the hub then the handwheel was installed to retain it. Three additional 5/16-16 bolts secured the wedge to the hub.

For the later LX scopes with no wedge the 1/2-13 threaded rod had one 3" handwheel at one end. It ran through the center hole, which was smooth bored, where it was retained by a circlip. The same 3 legged rigid spreader was installed over the rod under the hub. The scope's mount was centered over the hub and the rod was threaded into the mount and tension applied both securing the mount and stiffening the tripod.

I've had this since sometime around 2006-2007. I had an ETX-90 and Meade warrantied a Right Tube Adapter (RTA) replacement.

This is what they sent. I eventually got the RTA and they told me to keep the hub.

-Bob

Pages: 1

Extra information
13 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1178

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics