Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
New Alt-Az Mounts Ordered...
      #5612334 - 01/08/13 05:09 PM

Yeah, that's right, "mountS" in the plural.

In researching various alt-az options for my small arsenal of OTAs, looking to replace my Lapides Teegul Alt-Az, I finally made up my mind and ordered both a DSV-3 and DSV-1 from Raul Medina at Desert Sky Astro.

Ultimately I decided not only to replace the Teegul but also my Televue Gibraltar Sky Tour. I've grown tired of the elevation limitations of the Gibraltar with the long tubed TV-102, and was thinking that a mount capable of handling a very long OTA like my Antares 105/1500 or perhaps one of Richard Day's upcoming AR101/f15s would be nice.

The DSV-1 will replace the Teegul as my quick-look mount at home, and the DSV-3 will replace heavy, battery dependent EQ mounts for multi-day dark sky trips.

The DSV-1 will mostly carry smaller refractors and catadioptrics. The DSV-3 will carry larger refractors abd catadioptrics. I'm really looking forward to giving both mounts a thorough run-through, and will provide feedback on CN either in the form of a formal review or forum post, depending.

Regards,

Jim

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
slyke
sage

Reged: 02/21/08

Re: New Alt-Az Mounts Ordered... new [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5612368 - 01/08/13 05:31 PM

I'm also considering the DSV-3 for a 120mm refractor and a 8" Cat so I look forward to your comments on both mounts. Are you planning on using the AT-111 scope on the smaller mount?
-Stephen

zjc26138
Loved By All

Reged: 02/24/05

Loc: Mingo Junction, Ohio
Re: New Alt-Az Mounts Ordered... new [Re: slyke]
      #5612544 - 01/08/13 07:07 PM

Congrats on the new mounts Jim. I look forward to hearing your reports on their performance.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

#5612606 - 01/08/13 07:51 PM

Hi Stephen.

You asked: "Are you planning on using the AT-111 scope on the smaller mount?"

I am. I'll also use the TV-102, FS-78, SV80S, C90, C5 and C6 and some smaller aperture OTAs on the DSV-1.

Regards,

Jim

Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
      #5612835 - 01/08/13 10:30 PM

Quote:

I'm also considering the DSV-3 for a 120mm refractor and a 8" Cat

that mount should be great for an 8in. my dsv-1 is great for low mag but at high mag it starts getting shaky.

I was thinking about putting the dsv-1 on my gibraltar tripod cause I think those wooden legs are really good for vibration.

but I love the geared center column on my bogen tripod, it's the best for changing positions with refractors.

and if my son or wife want to view with me I throw the cheap 5in reflector on one side and the genesis on the other, no problem. [they get to sit and I'll stand.]

314Sprout

Reged: 06/27/12

Loc: San Diego
      #5612924 - 01/08/13 11:29 PM Attachment (46 downloads)

I love my DSV-1 with dual saddles. It has given me the quick access that I need as my grab and go mount. I've been using the AT-72 and new C-90 with my daughters quite often. I sometimes throw a Celestron XLT-150 Newt on with the AT-72 with no problems. I decided on the Oberwork tripod and it is rock solid. Raul has been great to work with also. Again, thanks to this forum (CN) I found the mount and the ongoing discussion in Cats and Casses helped me jump on the C90, which I also love. Next up is to defork the C-8 and give it a try on this set up!

Ouranos
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/07/06

Loc: Illinois
Re: New Alt-Az Mounts Ordered... new [Re: 314Sprout]
      #5613239 - 01/09/13 08:00 AM

Does the absence of slow-mo knobs make any difference to you? I am looking for a new alt/az mount for my 102 refractor.

Mike W
sage

Reged: 04/30/06

Loc: Upstate NY
      #5613629 - 01/09/13 12:23 PM

Be patient my friend! Didn't you know that the Surgeon General says photons from the zenith fall too fast and can be harmfull to your vision! Just kidding! They can only eat away at the optics! Seriously I have a Gibraltar w/ Sky tour and if it's going to be an all nighter I set up my g-8 beside it. Find stuff in the Gib. & TV102 f8.6. and if I want a long look I switch to the g-8 and 102 f11. I wonder about an extention (half pier for the Gibraltar) You could keep the legs retracted for stability.

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Re: New Alt-Az Mounts Ordered... new [Re: Mike W]
      #5613646 - 01/09/13 12:34 PM

Along those lines, I did also order the 12" pier extension for the DSV-1.

Regards,

Jim

kevint1
sage

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: Michigan
      #5613719 - 01/09/13 01:18 PM

My DSV-3 should be shipped this week. I will use it for my EON 120 plus an 8" cat that I'm looking at. I'll be mounting it on a SV heavy duty surveyor's tripod. Also thinking about the DSV-M to use with my AT 72 on camping trips, etc.

Mike W
sage

Reged: 04/30/06

#5613813 - 01/09/13 02:20 PM

I'm looking at some mini lathes and when I drop the hammer on one I'll make some different length extentions for the Gib. I don't think it will hande a 12" extention but we'll see. I need to stick my TV102 on it and see what would be helpful. I'd probably try 4", 6" , and 8" first. Will need a longer mounting stud as well. Also, I think the legs need an additional clamp up near the head to keep the legs from flexing. Good luck with your new mounts!

314Sprout

Reged: 06/27/12

Loc: San Diego
Re: New Alt-Az Mounts Ordered... new [Re: Ouranos]
      #5613866 - 01/09/13 02:56 PM

I don't miss slow motion controls at all. I'm able to adjust the drag such that tracking is smooth and natural. Not too much force to get it moving and that keeps from over-controlling. That said, I haven't pushed the powers above 120X. But for what I use it for, no problems. And the ability to adjust the saddle on the handle side in elevation make boresighting both scope easy. I wish there was an azimuth adjust too, but it is possible to work a bit of adjustment with some pressure on the scope as you tighten the saddle clamps. But my 9 yo has no problems tracking things and having two girls seeing the same thing at the same time cuts down on the whining for eyepiece time!

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Re: New Alt-Az Mounts Ordered... new [Re: 314Sprout]
      #5613944 - 01/09/13 03:38 PM

Pics and impressions of the DSV-3 when it arrives...I'm sitting on the fence, and getting antsy to jump!

chboss
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/24/08

Loc: Zurich Switzerland
Re: New Alt-Az Mounts Ordered... new [Re: t.r.]
      #5614772 - 01/10/13 12:33 AM

I wonder if the friction design works as good as the ones on the AYO mounts, they have bee superior for smooth tracking to any other Alt-Az mounts wothout slow motion controls I could get my hands on so far...
Looking forward to some A-B comparison.

best regards
Chris

MortonH

Reged: 05/12/07

Re: New Alt-Az Mounts Ordered... new [Re: chboss]
      #5618462 - 01/12/13 04:57 AM

Hopefully great minds think alike as I've just ordered a DSV-3 as well. Been told to expect a 5-week lead time. Then there's the time to ship to Australia so looks like late Feb/early March for mine.

MortonH

#5655655 - 02/01/13 06:51 AM

Jim,

Out of interest, what tripod(s) will you be using with these mounts? My DSV-3 will come with 5/8-11 fitting to allow attachment to my Stellarvue surveyor's tripod, but mostly it will be used on a Meade LXD75 tripod with an adapter that Raul is making for me.

Morton

ichdien

Reged: 11/27/08

Re: New Alt-Az Mounts Ordered... new [Re: MortonH]
      #5655687 - 02/01/13 07:27 AM

Jim:

Just curious: were you unhappy with the Teegul?

Thx

MortonH

Re: New Alt-Az Mounts Ordered... new [Re: ichdien]
      #5661195 - 02/04/13 06:50 AM

I just ordered a DSV-1 as well. It will sit atop the new Stellarvue travel tripod I'll be ordering tomorrow.

Lead time on the DSV-1 is now 5-6 weeks. Get your orders in, folks!

t.r.
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/14/08

Re: New Alt-Az Mounts Ordered... new [Re: MortonH]
      #5661269 - 02/04/13 08:25 AM

Word is getting around...

Pages: 1

Extra information
3 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2026

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics