Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Observatories

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
1965healy
The Snarkster

Reged: 06/23/07

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: How do you keep scorpions out? new [Re: CMacD]
      #5606547 - 01/05/13 12:50 PM

Mothballs might work, I'd research the effects of naphtha on optical coatings, electronics etc. The outgassing may be detrimental in a confined space under high temps. You could put them on the ground under/around it but they would probably degrade quicker or get washed/blown away. I'd also worry about their accidental effect on more benign critters.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Littlegreenman
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/09/05

Loc: Southern California
Re: How do you keep scorpions out? new [Re: korborh]
      #5606942 - 01/05/13 04:43 PM

Korborh posted: "The only insecticide I have found working for scorpions is Cy-kick CS."

Scorpions and spiders are not insects, but arachnids. Think lobster. Your typical insecticide is not very effective on them. The problem is the chemciclas that are effective also tend to be more toxic to humans. But if this is going to be a remote site without contant human precence, that is less important. But, apply with care.

We have few scorpions or tarantulas where I've live, but we do have lots of black widows. The danger is reaching into a nook or cranny and hitting their web. Usually they will scoot away.

LGM

korborh
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/29/11

Re: How do you keep scorpions out? new [Re: Littlegreenman]
      #5607248 - 01/05/13 08:29 PM

Yup, arachnids. The insecticide is to kill their food (roaches/crickets) but probably does not affect the scorps directly. When the food is gone, the scorps tend to go away too. Other insecticides I have tried are very temporal only acting for a few days, while Cykick works for months.

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/26/10

Loc: Moonstone Observatory
Re: How do you keep scorpions out? new [Re: korborh]
      #5608270 - 01/06/13 12:35 PM

Although probably not environmentalty correct, I would create a moat around the access points into the trailer.

1.) Pour a thin concrete slab with a brick high curb around each location, or perhaps use some type of appropriate size metal pans, etc.
2.) Set the trailer wheels and hitch stand, high up on blocks inside these moats.
3.) Fill the shallow moats with used oil, etc. creating a nasty barrier.

Of course, if your expecting rain, then you need to put in small plumbing traps to drain any water away from the bottom of the moats; water is heavier than oil after all.

Bugs don't like oil, at least thats my experience.

CMacD

Reged: 01/23/12

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: How do you keep scorpions out? new [Re: Mike E.]
      #5608368 - 01/06/13 01:21 PM

Quote:

Although probably not environmentalty correct, I would create a moat around the access points into the trailer.
Bugs don't like oil, at least thats my experience.

Mike, that is a really neat idea. I like it a lot. The trailer sits on 4 jacks that can lift it as high as 3 feet above the ground. With a large bowl of motor oil at the foot of each jack that might just do the trick for all the crawly critters. The only real issues would be water, snow, and evaporation - if motor oil even evaporates. Up here in Canada we undercoat the bottoms of our cars with different formulations of oil to keep the rust at bay for all the salt that is put on the roads during winter. That might even be a good idea too.

rigelsys
Vendor (Rigel Systems)

Reged: 08/22/06

Re: How do you keep scorpions out? new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5610800 - 01/07/13 07:44 PM

Hear Hear! Hope the exterior is self sealing for bullet holes :-)

Quote:

The sad part is if the wrong group stumbles across your setup; if they can't steal anything; they will amuse themselves with destroying it to the limit. I would never consider leaving equipment in a remote place unattended. If you got it in there, others can also access the site.

CMacD

Re: How do you keep scorpions out? new [Re: rigelsys]
      #5611017 - 01/07/13 10:12 PM

Quote:

Yeah - Up in Canada the gun culture is almost non-existent compared to the states. It is something I am trying to wrap my mind around.

poodle
sage

Reged: 01/21/05

Loc: Breckenridge, Texas
      #5611669 - 01/08/13 10:24 AM

When we moved to present house we were over-run with scorpions. We might kill 3 a week in our house. Then out of nowhere we had Geko lizards move in. Bye bye scorpions. We have not seen another scorpion in about 6yrs since the Gekos arrived. The little lizards have even found there way into the house. You see one ever couple of months and it will only be a brief view at that. My wife will clobber you if you hurt her lizards. She much prefers them to scorpions.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: How do you keep scorpions out? new [Re: poodle]
      #5611750 - 01/08/13 11:08 AM

Quote:

She much prefers them to scorpions.

So would I!!

rigelsys
Vendor (Rigel Systems)

Reged: 08/22/06

#5612168 - 01/08/13 03:28 PM

Picture says it all :-)

Quote:

Quote:

Yeah - Up in Canada the gun culture is almost non-existent compared to the states. It is something I am trying to wrap my mind around.

Edited by csa/montana (01/08/13 05:29 PM)

CMacD

Re: How do you keep scorpions out? new [Re: rigelsys]
      #5612265 - 01/08/13 04:28 PM

Quote:

Picture says it all :-)

Ouch! I would like to keep my trailer away from that thank you. Which states should I avoid?

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5612374 - 01/08/13 05:34 PM

vandelism in any form, can happen anywhere! Doesn't matter which state, country, etc. That's why you should take all precautions leaving valuable equipment unattended.

1965healy
The Snarkster

Reged: 06/23/07

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: How do you keep scorpions out? [Re: csa/montana]
      #5612400 - 01/08/13 05:53 PM

I think the point that a number of us are trying to make is that creepy crawling things are really the least of your worries with an unattended but ultimately accessible and very likely "portable" and expensive rig. In the best of all possible worlds it would sit in some remote spot and image the night sky for you. In what is, unfortunately, the real world it will sit there until it's discovered by someone. I wouldn't bet on that someone being a mature, responsible adult who walks around it a couple of times and then walks away.

Joe Bergeron
Vendor - Space Art

Reged: 11/10/03

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: How do you keep scorpions out? new [Re: Littlegreenman]
      #5617718 - 01/11/13 06:21 PM

Lobsters aren't arachnids…they're crustaceans. Just wanted to clear that up. They're all arthropods though.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Christopher Erickson, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2225

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics