Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
XwarpfactorX

Reged: 11/29/12

Loc: California
Re: Wife found a telescope at our local Good Will. new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5627425 - 01/17/13 04:21 AM

Pretty cool find. Can't say I've ever seen any astro equipment at a Good Will, but I'd be super excited if I did.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: Wife found a telescope at our local Good Will. new [Re: 1Old Timer]
      #5628113 - 01/17/13 01:39 PM

WOW!!!!
Now that is a fantastic find! And at Goodwill?I am absolutely astounded they didn't trash it as home-made junk.

SOMEDAY I may try building such an EQ mount and "dropping" my Z12 OTA into it.
CONGRATULATIONS on a really neat find.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: Wife found a telescope at our local Good Will. new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5628126 - 01/17/13 01:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

hah, just looked at CL and saw a Meade 60mm on EQ mount for $30...can't get cheaper than that.

I believe I found the ad in the local Boston CL. Looking at the link to the manual, it seems that the scope takes 0.965 inch eyepieces. In my experience, it's better to stick with scopes with 1.25 inch focusers, that way you can use the eyepieces and the diagonal you already have.

Jon

When looking at bargain scopes, be aware that for some strange penny-pinching reason, a number of scopes,Tasco and Meade among them, were sold with 1.25" focusers but had inserts reducing the eyepiece size to .965" . Simply removing that insert can allow use of standard 1.25" eyepieces.

And our friend at telescopewarehouse.com has quite reasonable Tasco .965 to 1.25" diagonals in 90 degrees that ,again, allow use of 1.25": EPs in a .965" focuser.(I bought 3 because of a weakness for old classic scopes but not old tiny oculars!These hybrid diagonals really add pleasure to using an old Sears or whatever of the small focuser size because my collection of Plossls now work in them as well!

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Wife found a telescope at our local Good Will. new [Re: BigC]
      #5628142 - 01/17/13 01:55 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

hah, just looked at CL and saw a Meade 60mm on EQ mount for $30...can't get cheaper than that.

I believe I found the ad in the local Boston CL. Looking at the link to the manual, it seems that the scope takes 0.965 inch eyepieces. In my experience, it's better to stick with scopes with 1.25 inch focusers, that way you can use the eyepieces and the diagonal you already have.

Jon

When looking at bargain scopes, be aware that for some strange penny-pinching reason, a number of scopes,Tasco and Meade among them, were sold with 1.25" focusers but had inserts reducing the eyepiece size to .965" . Simply removing that insert can allow use of standard 1.25" eyepieces.

And our friend at telescopewarehouse.com has quite reasonable Tasco .965 to 1.25" diagonals in 90 degrees that ,again, allow use of 1.25": EPs in a .965" focuser.(I bought 3 because of a weakness for old classic scopes but not old tiny oculars!These hybrid diagonals really add pleasure to using an old Sears or whatever of the small focuser size because my collection of Plossls now work in them as well!

Hybrid diagonals are a help but need to be included in the cost calculation. And too, sometimes there is not enough inward focuser travel and the scope won't focus with the diagonal in place. A $30 scope ends up costing $50 and then you are still stuck with the narrower field of view. I just make a practice of staying away from scopes with 0.965" focusers unless they are otherwise admirable scopes.

Jon

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Wife found a telescope at our local Good Will. new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5628171 - 01/17/13 02:12 PM

although there are some fine .965 oculars out there, but they are hard to find. Like the 1.25" replaced the .965, the 1.25 is slowly being replaced by the 2", and now, we have mfgs coming out with a 3"....

pftarch
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/21/07

Re: Wife found a telescope at our local Good Will. new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5629917 - 01/18/13 01:02 PM

Quote:

Not cheaper, but I got my Nexstar ST80 for $35. I would point a beginner toward that ahead of a 60mm/f11. (But I bought one of those for $27 new at a going out of business store.)

I actually use the ST80 on occasion (unlike the 60) and I see them pop up on Craigslist a fair amount.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2978

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics