Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: EP Grading System? new [Re: Dave Ittner]
      #5609695 - 01/07/13 07:30 AM

Quote:

I have a feeling that it's all of the above. Some know better, others don't and are just trying to unload the items.

That makes buying a lot tougher for us.

Not really... I buy based on the actual description, not on the sales pitch. I am happy to buy eyepieces with cosmetic flaws, it means someone loved that eyepiece and used it. And, eyepieces that get frequent use, just the handling them wears the paint, swapping them in and out of the focuser takes the gleam off the barrel. Swap an eyepiece 10-30 times a night a 100+ nights a year, it will show signs of use. I figure that if someone takes the time to careful describe the flaws, it means they are more concerned about the buyer being pleased than getting a few extra bucks.

Jon

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: EP Grading System? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5609790 - 01/07/13 09:08 AM

While I like to take care of my equipment, (and yes, I silently curse whenever I put a scratch or ding on anything I own) the bottom line is, what shape are the optics in? While I do have a couple of "collector item" eyepieces, I do use them occasionally as not using them would defeat the purpose of why they were built.....

Scanning4Comets
Markus

Reged: 12/26/04

Re: EP Grading System? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5610024 - 01/07/13 11:32 AM

Quote:

When one pays $60 for a type 1, Nagler there is not much to check except your wallet... At that price, problems are to be expected. Not long ago, I purchased a Meade Series 4000 14 mm UWA. I paid $80.

It was described in the Astromart ad as being in "mint" condition. Upon close inspection, it appears to have never been used. The only problem is that it's too perfect to use and yet too pretty to sell... So it just sits and I use my 16 mm type 2 that has Tom Clark's ID engraved on it.

Oh well...

Jon

Dave Ittner
sage

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: SF Bay Area, California
Re: EP Grading System? new [Re: Scanning4Comets]
      #5610043 - 01/07/13 11:42 AM

I am happy to report that a friend had the tool to tighten down the retaining ring. It's snug as a bug.

I will still note that it might come loose again when I go to sell it.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: EP Grading System? new [Re: Dave Ittner]
      #5610247 - 01/07/13 01:27 PM

My pet peeve is on auction at the other site right now. A 31T5 with no description of condition, and two pictures of the same exact view that show an average eyepiece - and no picture of the lenses. And yet it is already at $5 over what I sold my mint 31T5 for, $425. But this one is a complete gamble...

This could be a fine eyepiece but I think, especially when putting something up for auction, you should write at the very least a short explanation of the condition of the eyepiece. Maybe mention if the optics are clean, and if it includes a box? With no description I am very, very skeptical of the condition.

Edited by johnnyha (01/08/13 02:56 AM)

Svezda
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/01/07

Loc: Texas
Re: EP Grading System? new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5611311 - 01/08/13 02:16 AM

I'd never spend close the going rate for an eyepiece that is in excellent or like new condition if there's no detailed description. It just doesn't make sense, because the seller will likely not want to accept a return if the buyer bought the eyepiece without questioning the condition...he might or might not accept a return, but it's a pain to bother with and no one is satisfied with such a transaction. I just limit my purchase to eyepieces described in some detail and, if possible, I buy from sellers with excellent records and reputations. I know a few people from whom I'd buy an eyepiece with no photos and only a brief description - this based on how honest they've been with me in the past, how conservative is their grading system, or how they tend to mention the tiniest flaws (that I may have a hard time finding).

stevenwav
sage

Reged: 02/06/12

Loc: New England
Re: EP Grading System? [Re: Svezda]
      #5612804 - 01/08/13 10:09 PM

I always guarantee anything I sell, meaning that I offer up in an email the fact that I will accept a return if not satisfied. I am not aware of too many others doing this explicitly but I feel that folks we deal with on this site and others are deserving of this option - especially given the fact that there is no standard of grading, the premise of my original posting. BTW - I do this with everything including telescopes. It actually makes me feel better about selling these items, knowing that the other party is completely satisfied. To each their own though.

Mariner@sg
sage

Reged: 06/28/12

Loc: Little Red Dot
Re: EP Grading System? new [Re: Aleko]
      #5614572 - 01/09/13 09:54 PM

Quote:

One term thrown around a lot but not mentioned by BillP is "mint". My expectation for that term is no less than NIB, never been used, but a lot of folks seem to use the term for something that is better described as very good or excellent. Just one of my pet peeves, so I'll get off my soapbox now.

Alex

Something that gets under my skin is the liberal use of the word "RARE" in some ads. Dunno to laugh or cry sometimes.

"Rare" nagler?

Another "Rare" nagler?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
8 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, Scott in NC, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1399

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics