Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1
petrus45
sage

Reged: 01/31/11

Loc: SW Ohio / N Ky.
Eyepieces for 10" Dobsonian new
      #5602046 - 01/02/13 10:11 PM

I would be grateful for any advice on EPs optimized for use with a 10" Dob, mostly in a city (or out in the boonies when I can get there), for viewing a little of everything - planets and moon, but also DSOs when seeing is good.

By optimized, I'd really like some thoughts on what Dob eyepieces you find most enjoyable in all respects - not just viewing, but also the holistic experience, including the small details of machining quality, feel, grip, lens cover fit, and just overall satisfaction.

I have currently: Z 2" Plossl 36, 1.25" Nagler T6 13, 2" ES 9/100. I enjoy them all. I use the big Plossl as a finder, spend most time with the Nagler, and then typically finish up with the ES 100, but tend to get worn out with the big image and hazier image quality at high mag.

TV definitely has the best machined "quality feel" to it - sort of like the shifter on a Ferrari (not that I've driven one). But there is satisfaction in just the quality feel of the EP, and that's what I'm after. I am wondering if anyone uses TV plossls still, and whether you get the same sense of satisfaction and quality, or whether wide field fanaticism overshadows these factors.

I also have a 1.25" ES 24 on order. I would have loved a Panoptic but couldnt afford it.

Also, I'd be grateful if anyone has a primer on filters useful for city viewing of nebulas, other DSOs, moon, and planets.

I know it's a bunch of questions here, but I'd be grateful for your input.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Eyepieces for 10" Dobsonian new [Re: petrus45]
      #5602410 - 01/03/13 06:21 AM

Your questions are good ones, among other telescopes, I do have a 10 inch F/5 Dob that has seen a good amount of eyepiece time.

- I like Naglers, the ES-100s are supposed to be good. You need some eyepieces lower power eyepieces. Plossls are fine eyepieces but the narrow field of view is not "Ferrari-like." Something around 20mm would be nice, it could be a 68 degree eyepiece, an 82degree eyepiece or even a 100 degree eyepiece. If it were a 100degree eyepiece, namely the ES-100, then it would cover your low power needs quite nicely.

Otherwise, in your situation, I would want something with a wider field of view than the 36mm Plossl. It's at the lowest powers where the widefields come to life. Ideally, it would be 31mm Nagler but there are a number of more affordable eyepieces that also provide good, wide views.

As far as filters go, there is a nice thread in the beginners forum...

Nebula Filter Ideas

Jon

tnranger

Reged: 01/14/12

Re: Eyepieces for 10" Dobsonian new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5602462 - 01/03/13 07:38 AM

Jon,

What would you recommend the lowest power eyepiece be? Do you worry about exit pupil?

aa5te
Genial Procrastinator

Reged: 08/30/08

Loc: Clinton, TN
Re: Eyepieces for 10" Dobsonian new [Re: tnranger]
      #5602529 - 01/03/13 08:42 AM

I also have a 10" f/5. I'd say that I prefer the comfort and view thru the Meade 5000 series 40mm SWA to my 31mm Celestron Axiom LX. The Meade gives me 0.12 degrees (measured) more TFOV with an ~8.1mm exit pupil (vs. 6.25mm with the Celestron), and the view just seem more "heavenly".

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Eyepieces for 10" Dobsonian new [Re: aa5te]
      #5602537 - 01/03/13 08:46 AM

Love the ES82* 24mm in my 10XTi. It's my most used eyepiece. Mine's the older, nonwaterproof version. It's heavy (2.2lb) and big (top of eyepiece is almost 4" across)and some people take off the outer "shroud" to lighten the weight, but the views are fantastic in that eyepiece. It's my favorite with the 10XTi.

petrus45
sage

Re: Eyepieces for 10" Dobsonian new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5603052 - 01/03/13 01:52 PM

I saw you also have the ES 68* 24mm. How is that one in comparison to the 82*/24mm?

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Eyepieces for 10" Dobsonian new [Re: petrus45]
      #5604285 - 01/04/13 08:57 AM

Still on backorder. Ordered them at the same time....ES (Eventually Seen). The 82* is a 2" eyepiece, the 68* is a 1.25" eyepiece; obviously, you will get a larger AFOV with the 82*. Compared to the other 68*, I prefer the 82* in the dob. I really got the 68* for the refractor more then the Dob as the wider FOV from the 82* gives me more "nudge time". For the Dob, the 82* 24mm fits easily, and is not a weight problem, even with a paracorr. The 10XTi uses teflon bushings instead of springs, so heavier eyepieces are not a problem. With a small scope or a refractor, the 82* 24 and 30mm might be too heavy (the 24mm is 2.2lb, the 30mm is 3.08lb). These are the older nonwaterproof ones, but the views are just wow.....

petrus45
sage

Re: Eyepieces for 10" Dobsonian new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5605210 - 01/04/13 04:57 PM

Cool. Thanks for the info. I have an 82 on order (Eventually Seen) and will let you know how it works out.

GadgetAce

Reged: 09/04/10

Loc: Texas
Re: Eyepieces for 10" Dobsonian [Re: petrus45]
      #5612940 - 01/08/13 11:40 PM

I have a Zhumell 10 inch Dobsonian with a 1250mm focal length that puts it right at about an F4.9 and use a variety of eyepieces depending on what I want to look at. With F4 and F5 reflectors you do get noticeable comma that you can either live with or correct using comma correcting lenses. I believe that you do well to stay with 50 to 60 degree field-of-view eyepieces unless you have a quality comma corrector and superb collimation of your mirrors. I am astigmatic and must wear glasses, so excellent eye-relief in an eyepiece is essential to comfortable viewing; so, I am partial to long eye-relief lenses.

Admittedly no match for TeleVue Naglers, I recently purchase the Meade Series 5000 HD-60 eyepiece set, which includes 25mm, 18mm, 12mm, 9mm, 6.5mm and 4.5mm. The AVOF is 60 degrees; and the eye relief is between 17 and 20mm (actually better on average than TV Plossls). These work well even without any comma correction. As for the overall impression of the 5000 Series, I am very impressed with the look and feel of their construction as well as with their performance on all sorts of objects, including planets, solar, lunar and DSO's. A little known, mostly undocumented, fact about these eyepieces is that they have a built-in, fully adjustable tele-extender (1 centimeter range).

As for filters, I also live close to a big city and suffer from light pollution; so I find quality filters are helpful. Though no filter in the city can compare to getting out in the country a good 30 to 50 miles (when time allows)! But, if you must get DSO filters, I say consider saving up and getting Baader Planetarium series. For the most part, you get what you pay for when it comes to filters. There are some great in-depth posts on filters here at Cloudy Nights!

Now back to your first question about EP's optimized for your scope: I would say that when it comes to wider AFOV eyepieces (over 60 degrees), comma is much more apparent regardless of which eyepieces you go with but especially with super and ultra-wide field (70+ degrees). Comma generally begs correcting in focal lengths shorter than F6 in my experience. I believe that you will want to invest in a comma corrector to get the most out of an 82 degree eyepiece. I purchased a GSO 2 inch comma corrector for about $120 and and very pleased with it. The quality is impressive considering the price. It is a bit heavy. I had to reconfigure the OTA balance, which was relatively easy on my scope.

I hope my two cents worth holds some value for you.

Clear skies!

Pages: 1

Extra information
20 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 973

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics