Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Video and Electronically Assisted Astronomy

Pages: 1
cnoct

Reged: 09/02/10

Bi-Ocular I2 viewer new
      #5119930 - 03/13/12 10:41 AM

Inspired by Bob S. and his Collins equipped Siebert BN 25's, I thought those interested in Bi-Ocular I2 viewer might like to see a common PVS-7C adapted for telescope use. The modification which allows the 7C to mate up to a 2" focuser is really simple, just a piece of ABS machined to fit the objective bell of the unit. The PVS-7B/D is also superb as Bi-Ocular and simply requires a c-mount adapter in place of the objective bell and lens. I'll post pictures of the PVS-7B/D in it's telescope configuration at a later date. Either type are fantastic Bi-Ocular viewers. It's noteworthy to mention that both feature a diopter adjustment range of +2 to -6. This feature can eliminate the need for corrected vision. The interpupillary distance is also adjustable.

Here's the photos of the PVS-7C in its telescope configuration:

^Original 1x objective lens and housing are seen in the background.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
Re: Bi-Ocular I2 viewer new [Re: cnoct]
      #5119946 - 03/13/12 10:49 AM

Nice cnoct! I like the sound of that diopter adjustment. What're we talking price wise? :-)

GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
      #5119947 - 03/13/12 10:50 AM

NEAT!

Bob S.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/05

Re: Bi-Ocular I2 viewer new [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #5120506 - 03/13/12 04:09 PM

Very nice! How much for that rig is what we all want to know? I looked up the model number and they seem to sell for about $3200 in the military configuration. How much and easy was it to modify?

Edited by Bob S. (03/13/12 08:58 PM)

cnoct

Re: Bi-Ocular I2 viewer new [Re: Bob S.]
      #5120942 - 03/13/12 09:01 PM

Both the PVS-7C/A and PVS7B/D cost anywhere from $2200 - $4000 for a new unit. Both these systems are readily available on the used market for $1500 - $1800 for good systems. There just isn't any other Bi-Ocular I2 device that will perform as well as the PVS-7 systems.

ETA: Bob, adapting the PVS-7C/A (M972/M973) didn't cost more than $10 in parts (ABS fitting for plumbing). Machining those ABS fittings shouldn't cost more than $50, I did that myself on a cheap hobby lathe. The easiest and cheapest way of adapting the 7C/A is to just make a split ring that fits over the objective assembly, see picture below:

The PVS-7B/D is the simplest to adapt since the adapter can be purchased. I think Aurora Tactical may have the adapter. The adapter replaces the objective assembly and is a simple thread off - thread on procedure. I'll post some pictures of the 7B/D with the c-mount adapter once that unit comes back from being loaned out. In the mean time here's a picture of the c-mount adapter:

MRNUTTY,

The diopter range on the Collins is extremely limited, I can't bring it into focus without the aid of glasses. All the other systems I use have more than enough diopter range for use without correction. In my case, the Collins housing needs another 5-10mm of threads to be used without correction. In the absence of extra threads, the ocular will separate from the housing before focus is reached. The best unit for using as an image intensified eyepiece is the Micro monocular from Night Vision Depot

The Micro is available in a kit with everything but the image intensifier. You could simple pull the tube in your Collins and install it in the Micro. I have a video on YouTube of the installation process. The diopter range on the Micro is -2 to +6 and I've never had a problem bringing it to focus.

A true comparison of the Micro and Collins is best left to another thread but here are a few images of the units and their respective oculars:

Edited by cnoct (03/13/12 09:39 PM)

GlennLeDrew
Postmaster

Reged: 06/18/08

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
      #5121315 - 03/14/12 02:41 AM

DIY for the win! If there's anyone who is an advocate for do-it-yourself, that's me! Relying solely on ready-made is a potential recipe for disappointment, dissatisfaction and disaffection. Employment of imagination can solve many a seemingly intractable problem.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
Re: Bi-Ocular I2 viewer new [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #5121538 - 03/14/12 09:45 AM

Thx cnoct - I have the same issue With the Collins and my eye wear. I can't bring it into focus without my glasses; nearsighted.

cnoct

Re: Bi-Ocular I2 viewer new [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #5121610 - 03/14/12 10:30 AM

Your not alone on this. I didn't have an issue until having an Inter Ocular lens implant.

KMM
journeyman

Reged: 02/23/10

#5612859 - 01/08/13 10:51 PM

Sent you private message regarding PVS-7B/D adapter.

cnoct

Re: Bi-Ocular I2 viewer [Re: KMM]
      #5613127 - 01/09/13 04:07 AM

Okay!

Pages: 1

Extra information
2 registered and 11 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  csa/montana, JayinUT 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1762

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics