Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | >> (show all)
alancygnusx2
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/25/08

Loc: CA
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Jeff2011]
      #5834537 - 05/01/13 02:29 PM

This VX mount looks promising.

I know very little about computerized GEM mounts so I will ask the following:

for a 4" refractor, how long would the set up be with the VX just to get decent tracking for visual? How long to get decent tracking and GOTO for visual?

It says its rated for 30lb, could the 23lb FS-152 (f/8) be used on this mount for visual?

Thanks,

Alan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
bunyon
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: alancygnusx2]
      #5834555 - 05/01/13 02:38 PM

I usually image unguided with a 50mm lens. The CG5 will go minutes unguided at 50mm. And that is a great way to start AP. However, once the focal lengths get out beyond 200mm, I think it only makes sense to guide - given the cost of everything else you need, a little guider isn't much more.

But, of course, if you can make it work, unguided is simpler and I'm not holding it against anyone for wanting it. I just think long exposure, medium EFL imaging unguided is a lot to ask from relatively inexpensive mounts.

Alan, the AVX doesn't take long to align. For purely visual use, I probably wouldn't bother with ASPA assuming you have a good view of Polaris and can visually align on it. The 2+4 alignment for Goto takes a few minutes - 10 maybe? It can easily be done before full dark.

I have no experience with the refractor, so wouldn't want to guess at whether it wiill hold it well. Seems like a big scope for the mount but I don't know.

gmartin02
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/11/05

Loc: Santa Clarita, CA
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: nine44]
      #5834696 - 05/01/13 03:54 PM

Quote:

My light polluted location does prevent me from taking exposures beyond about 1 minute. So winning the accurate tracking / guiding duration contest isn't a goal for me anyway. I really need to get to a dark site.

Sounds like you could use a light pollution imaging filter - when I started using the Astronomik CLS (clip-in) filter, I was able to double my exposure times. The down side is that I now need to color correct my exposures, but I get a lot better results when imaging emission nebula or galaxies from my "orange zone" site (which is my back yard.)

Carl N

Reged: 03/18/12

Loc: San Diego, CA
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: gmartin02]
      #5834739 - 05/01/13 04:29 PM

I mount up over 40 pounds and for visual there is no issue. It takes me about 5 minutes to 2+4 for visual and the go to is dead center of my 5mm ilum plossl by the 2+2 point. As stated, for visual, no need for ASPA.

One note, as I get up around 40 lbs, it does become important to ensure rebalancing, especially in RA, as the weight can make the clutch slip if not in balance and I lose alignment.

Edited by Carl N (05/01/13 04:31 PM)

starbob1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/11/07

Loc: IN
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Carl N]
      #5834762 - 05/01/13 04:44 PM

Myself the Tak fs152 is a long scope and heavy. It would benefit from a cgem. The AVX could work but I would not try it. Plus it would look stupid I think. Bob

alancygnusx2
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: starbob1]
      #5834919 - 05/01/13 06:03 PM

Quote:

Plus it would look stupid I think. Bob

Well, the FS 152 would look great on an AP900, but at some point the wallet and wife say - "you're done for a while!"

JonM

Reged: 07/25/08

Loc: Colorado
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: MartinTreadgold]
      #5835564 - 05/02/13 01:38 AM

unless you have a black Atlas.

MartinTreadgold

Reged: 04/17/13

Loc: Netherlands
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: nine44]
      #5835782 - 05/02/13 08:23 AM

One think I have noticed, is when you use a polar scope on the mount, the Latitude screw handle is in the way of looking through the polar scope.. anyone else noticed this?

Well, as a half-fix... I swapped the 2 latitude knobs around. it improves the situation somewhat, but not totally great..

If you see dcbrown73's photo above, you can see the knob screw handle i am talking about.. it really gets in the way.

Best Regards

Martin

Edited by MartinTreadgold (05/02/13 03:35 PM)

Carl N

#5835970 - 05/02/13 10:27 AM

I think that depends on your Latitude. Here in San Diego, at 33degrees, I don't have that problem.

Carl

jonbosley
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/19/05

Loc: Texas
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Carl N]
      #5835990 - 05/02/13 10:39 AM

Anyone using this with a C9.25 and 50mm guidescope? If so what subs are achievable?

Jon

alancygnusx2
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: bunyon]
      #5836231 - 05/02/13 12:52 PM

Thanks to everyone for posting info on this mount, I pulled the trigger and ordered it from astronomics for use with my 4" Tak.

Of note, when I ordered the scope they said the VX works fine with Celestron's 6" f/8 refractor. In fact, Celestron sells the VX with their 6" f/8 as a package! I will cautiously try my FS152 with it.

dr.who
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/05/12

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: bunyon]
      #5837218 - 05/02/13 08:54 PM

For purely visual I just move the mount and adjust the screws until I see Polaris in the EP then I do a 2+3 align and by the 1st and rarely 2nd calibration star it's in the EP near dead on then GOTOs are also within the 17mm Delos on my 8" Edge with little fiddling so it's pretty accurate. Setup time would be about 10-15 minutes from decision to observe to finishing alignment and viewing and that includes hauling everything out. It will handle the weight of the 152 fine. I had a 152mm ES Achro (yard cannon) on my CG5 without problem.

Edited by dr.who (05/02/13 08:56 PM)

alancygnusx2
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: dr.who]
      #5837453 - 05/02/13 11:27 PM

Thanks, thats good news. This mount will be a bargain if it will do handle both of my refractors.

core
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/23/08

Loc: Mostly in Norman, OK
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Ken Hutchinson]
      #5837646 - 05/03/13 04:27 AM

Quote:

I think low latitude users will be happy with it. You will have to remove one of the adjustment screws. I believe if you live below about 5 deg you will have to tip the tripod slightly to get CW clearance. However it does adjust down to zero degrees and if you mount it on a permanent pier of small enough diameter it will be completely at home at the equator.

Was wondering if anyone has tried out the VX at low latitudes <5° (well, specifically 1° ), or at least a simulated setup? I presume one would loose fine adjustments on the tilt of the mount head since you have to remove the front tilt adjustment screw? It also looks like the North azimuth pin can be positioned either over one leg or between two legs?

MartinTreadgold

Reged: 04/17/13

Loc: Netherlands
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: core]
      #5837666 - 05/03/13 05:18 AM

is there a thread somewhere describing how to do a polar align if you are on the equator? always wondered how it would be done?

core
Pooh-Bah

#5837996 - 05/03/13 10:26 AM

Quote:

is there a thread somewhere describing how to do a polar align if you are on the equator? always wondered how it would be done?

The previous method was to drift align the mount (iirc should be described in almost every celestron gem manual), with the newer nextstar firmware, use the all star polar alignment routine (ASPA).

Also, check post #5834261 and google search for drift align using dSLR, for final adjustments to ASPA

Edited by core (05/03/13 03:03 PM)

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

#5838266 - 05/03/13 12:24 PM

From a look at the AVX altitude setup there's no need to remove any screws to get to low latitudes, the normal adjustment will go there. The reason C seems to specify a minimum of 7 degrees is that the counterweights will hit the tripod. Mounting it on a pier would solve this.

I believe there's a photo showing this somewhere back in the thread.

Spending half an hour going through this thread would be useful for anyone wanting to know more about this mount, there's a lot of useful information here, sometimes more than once.

Chris

core
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: cn register 5]
      #5838547 - 05/03/13 02:58 PM

Quote:

From a look at the AVX altitude setup ...

I believe there's a photo showing this somewhere back in the thread.

Spending half an hour going through this thread

Well, one way to skin the cat is to view all 33 pages (at present) of the thread in one browser window by clicking on the show all link, than do a Ctrl-F to find for certain text (eg, "low latitude" - 6 instances, "remove" - 15 instances)

Ken's post #5616985 indicates "I think low latitude users will be happy with it. You will have to remove one of the adjustment screws." There are a couple of pictures posted that indicate that the cwt bar or cwt itself, depending on its position on the bar, might hit the front adjustment screw (the one with the T-handle). There's a photo at post #5628812 (thanks again, Ken!) which shows the mount at a close-to-0° latitude setup, but in that thread Ken's discussion is with respect to the AVX's problems mating to a Orion pier. There's also your post #5615750 "
The latitude adjustment goes down to slightly less than zero degrees, but I'm not sure if the counterweight will miss the tripod at low latitudes." iirc there are some GEM's that allow you to position the cwt between 2 of the tripod legs, which helps with low-latitude clearance issues (not sure about stability though).

Anyways, just to re-phrase, would appreciate if anyone has actual use of the AVX at low latitudes!

Carl N

#5854171 - 05/11/13 05:30 PM

I posted photos on Flickr for someone else on this forum, thought id let everyone in on them. just photos with my D7000 and an 80-200 lens on the AVX. unguided no PEC set at f/5. A satelite crossed the first, 2 minute, image.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carlnank/

nine44
sage

Reged: 01/19/13

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: alancygnusx2]
      #5854451 - 05/11/13 09:53 PM

Anyone's else's VX come with clutch levers installed incorrectly? I noticed that my clutch levers were positioned such that, when the mount would slew, the levers would hit the mount housing, and get loosened to the point that the clutches would slip (both RA and Dec). I contacted Celestron and verified that they were installed incorrectly. Unfortunately, the stainless steel screws that attach the levers to the brass bolts (that apply clutch pressure) were impossible to remove. I had to drill both out, order new parts (Celestron sent for free) and re-install. Works great now--but just curious if the "new guy" put mine together or if this is a wider issue.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=d1850a231c1fb32e#cid=D1850A231C1FB32E&id=D...

Pages: << 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | >> (show all)

Extra information
22 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 71674

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics