Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | >> (show all)
EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: nine44]
      #5854510 - 05/11/13 10:35 PM

Quote:

Anyone's else's VX come with clutch levers installed incorrectly? I noticed that my clutch levers were positioned such that, when the mount would slew, the levers would hit the mount housing, and get loosened to the point that the clutches would slip (both RA and Dec). I contacted Celestron and verified that they were installed incorrectly. Unfortunately, the stainless steel screws that attach the levers to the brass bolts (that apply clutch pressure) were impossible to remove. I had to drill both out, order new parts (Celestron sent for free) and re-install. Works great now--but just curious if the "new guy" put mine together or if this is a wider issue.

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=d1850a231c1fb32e#cid=D1850A231C1FB32E&id=D...

That's a new one. Definitely the new guy on Friday afternoon. They have really started thread locking those screws in on mounts and they are actually just chromed steel so they are easy to chew up. Good thing it was an easy fix.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Carl N
sage

Reged: 03/18/12

Loc: San Diego, CA
      #5854579 - 05/11/13 11:17 PM

I found the same thing. I was able to loosen the screws, substantially but not completely removing them, until I could re-position the lever position a small bit. Just enough so that the lever clears the motor housing as it slews by.

Loosening the screws was a nervous moment, but they came out with careful application of pressure and a properly sized screwdriver. Not a #2 Phillips!

I found this came into play as I was adding weight. So I try to be careful about not torquing down on my clutch levers.

Edited by Carl N (05/11/13 11:19 PM)

MartinTreadgold

Reged: 04/17/13

Loc: Netherlands
      #5854611 - 05/11/13 11:27 PM Attachment (71 downloads)

thats definitely in the wrong position, i seem to remember someone having the same problem as you on another thread with their DEC clutch. My Dec clutch lock is in an ok position for sure and i don't have this problem with the RA clutch either...

Edited by MartinTreadgold (05/11/13 11:37 PM)

SunBlack
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/05/11

Loc: Rome (IT)
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: MartinTreadgold]
      #5866463 - 05/17/13 06:00 AM

hi all, any experience with pec and-or polar align assisted procedure, verifying a better tracking performance in unguided AP?

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
      #5866906 - 05/17/13 11:19 AM

As a community service, it would be nice for someone who has faced this problem to get back to both their dealer and Celstron, and let them know about the issue. Celestron is unlikely to fix any issue that hasn't caused a boatload of dealer returns and lots of moaning in the reseller channel.

If everyone exercises self-help, they'll never get around to pummeling Synta the factory worker who keeps messing up.

- Jim

MartinTreadgold

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5868650 - 05/18/13 02:09 AM

seems to be a lack of quality control with the RA and DEC clutches. But don't let that put anyone off from buying the VX mount, it will be a small percentage that will be affected, and it is a fantastic mount.

EManT2200

Reged: 04/22/12

Loc: Maryland
      #5869984 - 05/18/13 07:20 PM Attachment (26 downloads)

I have a C9.25 with a CGE dovetail bar. Will that bar fit the AVX mount ?

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: EManT2200]
      #5869989 - 05/18/13 07:25 PM

Quote:

No. The CGE mount accepts a Losmandy-style dovetail plate. The AVX (like most mounts in its weight class) accepts the narrower Vixen-style dovetail plate.

MartinTreadgold

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5870756 - 05/19/13 04:31 AM

It will hold the 9.25 SCT with a vixen dovetail, but you probably will be hitting the load limit, so not much room for adding accessories. The VX mount is best designed for 8 inch max SCT, that way, it gives you more available load to add a DSLR, plus accessories

Edited by MartinTreadgold (05/19/13 04:32 AM)

plav1959
sage

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: Central Florida
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: EManT2200]
      #5871014 - 05/19/13 09:54 AM

Quote:

It will if you replace the stock saddle with an ADM dual saddle. If I was to buy a VX that would probably be the first thing I would do.

SunBlack
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: SunBlack]
      #5873279 - 05/20/13 09:12 AM

up!
Quote:

hi all, any experience with pec and-or polar align assisted procedure, verifying a better tracking performance in unguided AP?

besides: any tip about restorring pec after mount shut down? Ie do park scope and or do not deblock ra axsis to not loose correspondance between gears?

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: SunBlack]
      #5873882 - 05/20/13 02:36 PM

It's all in this thread - somewhere.

I did some tests of the AVX PEC and got a corrected RMS error of 2.6 arc seconds.

IMO the simplest way to handle PEC is Celestron's free PECTool application. It will automate collecting, averaging and uploading multiple PEC cycles. You can also save the PEC data on your PC so you can restore it after something that looses it such as a mount upgrade.

There's no need to worry about restoring PEC, there's a sensor that synchronises it.

Chris

SunBlack
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: cn register 5]
      #5873936 - 05/20/13 03:08 PM

thx Chris for replying. 2.6 is a nice value. Keep in mind i do not use pc on the field, so pec would be managed by hc only, so it is nice to hear that thing about the sensor/encoder.

dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/05/12

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5874535 - 05/20/13 07:57 PM

Quote:

As a community service, it would be nice for someone who has faced this problem to get back to both their dealer and Celstron, and let them know about the issue. Celestron is unlikely to fix any issue that hasn't caused a boatload of dealer returns and lots of moaning in the reseller channel.

If everyone exercises self-help, they'll never get around to pummeling Synta the factory worker who keeps messing up.

- Jim

Jim-

Since I will be pummeling Celestron this morning over the run-the-avx-in-dual-ota-fry-the-hand-controller bug that just happened to me over the weekend where I put up my Tak and Edge 800 in SBS only to have the mount go spastic on alignment to which I powered down to do a factory reset (which cured the spastic alignment problem before on the CGEM, CG5, and AVX) followed by power to the mount head and a dead hand controller I will bring up that many users are posting here that there are clutch install problems.

A friend just took a job with them (expect some VERY cool stuff coming soon from them since he was hired for his expertise in market segments they want to be in but are not doing as well as they could in) and he did mention that this site is monitored by folks there.

This plus the Meade purchase by Scott Roberts and company (I would love to be a fly on the wall for the first week there! Scott walks in to Department X: You, you, and you! You're fired. Get out. And on your way out fire some other people then turn off the lights. LX80 Engineering/Testing? You're not fired. We are just shipping you to China where you are sentenced to 16 years hard labor. Just go with these nice men here please.)

Update: I went down to their office today after dealing with someone in phone support. The person on the phone went above and beyond as did the on site support person. And I got to meet the firmware engineer. Interesting conversation about the hand controller failure. All in all a very good experience so a big thank you to Celestron! Now if Meade would only take notes...

bayleyjordan

Reged: 04/09/13

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: dr.who]
      #5874806 - 05/20/13 10:01 PM

Quote:

And I got to meet the firmware engineer. Interesting conversation about the hand controller failure. All in all a very good experience so a big thank you to Celestron! Now if Meade would only take notes...

Mind telling us what he said about the HC? Mine died my first night out in the field, I got a new one sent from the dealer and haven't had problems since...

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: bayleyjordan]
      #5875035 - 05/21/13 12:22 AM

Any idea on when the firmware bug that makes SkyQ think the Vx is an alt az will be fixed?

mistyridge
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/28/05

Loc: Loomis, CA
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5875093 - 05/21/13 02:48 AM

I was thinking of buy a VX. But I think I will wait until the bugs are worked out. I remember getting one of the early CG-5s and a early CGE and early CGEM all were buggy, The replacements in all three cases work great and never once failed. So I will give them some time.

dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: mistyridge]
      #5875831 - 05/21/13 12:55 PM

Bayley-

DISCLAIMER: This is coming from my memory of the conversation and is not the official Celestron response or even his actual one so please do not hold their feet to the fire for my comments.

There was an issue with the first batch of AVX's shipped that under unknown conditions a partial overwrite of application code occurred. Unknown conditions because of the 10 or so handsets that have failed this way only myself and one other person documented what they were doing prior to the failure. As of yesterday he is attempting to recreate the conditions I reported to see if it is the root cause.

At this time this does not appear to be a widespread issue with the platform/code itself and the issue is only with pre 5.x code.

As noted above for some reason the update software is being called incorrectly causing a partial overwrite of the application code on the handset. The reason for this is that the update code was kept in a separate location than the application code. A stack/buffer overflow could cause the incorrect memory call causing the incorrect code to partially execute.

With version 5.x of the code the update software is now in a location shared by the application and an overflow condition will not cause the incorrect execution of the code.

Celestron's position is that it is "their fault" and thus all hand controllers suffering from this are being replaced.

Short answer is update your handset code to 5.x and this will not be a problem.

bayleyjordan

Reged: 04/09/13

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: dr.who]
      #5876066 - 05/21/13 02:28 PM

Dr. Who -
Thanks for the response. I am familiar with basic coding, but not with telescope mounts and Nexstar HC software, as this is my first go-to scope. I was doing a basic alignment procedure on my new mount when the handset flashed and reset. I restarted the alignment procedure and it flashed again, and went dark, never to work again. The vendor sent me a new HC, and I haven't had a problem in the two viewing sessions since, but I'm still somewhat concerned.

I haven't even checked what firmware version is on my new HC, but you think i should update regardless to prevent future failures?

dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: bayleyjordan]
      #5877760 - 05/22/13 10:57 AM

Cheers mate.

I am actually in email communication with him so I will forward your data. I believe he is also checking this thread.

In my non-Celestron opinion you should be ok since my take away from the conversation was that it was only in the first set of mounts that went out and with the new HC it should have the more recent code on it but that said having the latest stable release of code on there is not a bad thing.

Pages: << 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | >> (show all)

Extra information
34 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 80011

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics