Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | >> (show all)
Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: dr.who]
      #5878056 - 05/22/13 01:26 PM

Can dead HC's be brought back to life by somehow getting them to accept the new code?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/05/12

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5878357 - 05/22/13 03:26 PM

Yes in some cases. Per my understanding what happens is that as a part of POST (power on self test) the HC checks to see if there is application code for the boot loader to use. If not or if it's corrupted then the HC does not light up.

In this case a portion of the application code was being over written and corrupted thus no HC light up. By reflashing the EEPROM/Flash then the HC goes back to a nominal state.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5878538 - 05/22/13 04:50 PM

Quote:

Yes in some cases. Per my understanding what happens is that as a part of POST (power on self test) the HC checks to see if there is application code for the boot loader to use. If not or if it's corrupted then the HC does not light up.

In this case a portion of the application code was being over written and corrupted thus no HC light up. By reflashing the EEPROM/Flash then the HC goes back to a nominal state.

Also, an older non-plus HC loaded up with the latest (4.21) ASGT firmware will work with the mount...

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

#5878835 - 05/22/13 06:45 PM

Quote:

Ok so if it won't boot up how would I get it into bootloader state? Will menu/celestron kick it in there? I guess instead of typing this I could go get my dead HC and try it myself.

Edit: Nope, stays dead and CFM can't detect it. Oh well was worth a try.

Edit2: There is a SkyQ app update currently awaiting approval from Apple that will fix the problem with SKyQ on the AVX. I look forward to trying it out. Should take a week-ish before it is ready.

Edited by Whichwayisnorth (05/24/13 03:36 PM)

SJMagiera

Reged: 05/01/13

Loc: Western Mass
      #5882836 - 05/24/13 06:22 PM

So far, after a half a dozen under the sky uses, I love mine. Getting the itch to try my luck at astro photography, and was wondering if polar scope a good idea? I may be mistaken, but I once recall Uncle Rod giving the polar scope a thumbs down on the CG 5 .

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: SJMagiera]
      #5882850 - 05/24/13 06:29 PM

Personally I'd forget about the polar scope but get a reticle EP. This will help to give a good alignment and so a good polar alignment using ASPA.

Chris

SJMagiera

Reged: 05/01/13

Loc: Western Mass
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: cn register 5]
      #5882931 - 05/24/13 07:11 PM

Thanks for input. Appreciate it

Madratter
Postmaster

Reged: 01/14/13

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: SJMagiera]
      #5883034 - 05/24/13 08:05 PM

I see very little utility to the polar scope. My vote is also to save your money and use it on something more worthwhile. A reticle eyepiece is a good suggestion. Personally, I actually just do my alignment using my main camera. So I don't even need my reticle eyepiece.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Madratter]
      #5883424 - 05/25/13 01:57 AM Attachment (106 downloads)

Was a little bored tonight.
Seeing is really really bad.
Full moon or close enough
Advanced VX with 8" EdgeHD
Canon T1i Modified (no reducer)
NO PEC running.
Not guided.

Pempro graph attached
PE is +/- 16a/s for about 32a/s Peak to Peak.
Blue line is where it started out. Was kinda rough but by the second cycle it started behaving.

PEMPRO log: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9YQW6cArCw1Q04tcVVsNXFxWkE/edit?usp=sharing

PEMPRO export data: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9YQW6cArCw1TnFhdy1FY0dZODQ/edit?usp=sharing

PEMPRO .ppc file: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B9YQW6cArCw1azhDR01JS3VRT1k/edit?usp=sharing

derangedhermit
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/07/09

Loc: USA
      #5884602 - 05/25/13 07:47 PM

I'm interested in starting widefield astrophotography, using a DSLR and the lenses I have for it - 17-400mm focal length. I have no interest in mounting a scope on this mount or doing through-the-telescope photography. I'd rather not get into guiding, so PEC seems like a requirement.

It seems to me this may be a very good mount to do such play. I'd rather have something more compact, that mounted on one of my existing sturdy photo tripods, instead of acquiring another one.

Questions:
- am I on the right track?
- do they sell the head alone, or do you have to buy the tripod? if you have to buy it, is there any market for it? Is something difficult about mounting this to a photo tripod, like a Gitzo 2x or 3x series?
- I think in this thread there is a pointer to a way to mount the DSLR/lens to the head (buy an adapter plate, I think). Any problems doing this?

I'm thinking about using this, whatever adapters are needed, and tether to a laptop running something like Backyard EOS, and that's about it - again, for widefield photos.

Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: derangedhermit]
      #5884617 - 05/25/13 07:54 PM

I think this mount would do what you need. It looks like the iOptron ZEQ25 would be a good option also.

Don't think the mount is available without a tripod but there is one for sale here in the CN classified ads now for about $660.

All you need to mount your DSLR is a short dovetail bar that attached to the bottom of the camera.

mshedden

Reged: 10/05/12

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: derangedhermit]
      #5884793 - 05/25/13 10:50 PM

Perhaps something like the iOptron SkyTracker might be more suitable for you? This is a self contained, battery powered, motorized, photo tripod mounted polar aligned device that accepts a ball mounted camera.

The polar alignment scope is an option, but I don't see how you could use it without one.

Sky Tracker

CN thread here: http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/5587355/Main...

User suggests one of these would be almost mandatory for adjusting azimuth when aligning...

Panning Base

Manufacturer page here:

http://www.ioptron.com/index.cfm?select=productdetails&phid=6f80ac1c-1ec6...

Vixen also make something similar I believe.

Edited by mshedden (05/27/13 02:50 PM)

Carl N
sage

Reged: 03/18/12

Loc: San Diego, CA
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: mshedden]
      #5884825 - 05/25/13 11:15 PM

If he is looking at the AVX, then my guess is the 6.6 pound payload of the IOptron is not going to meet his needs. We'll see!

derangedhermit
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/07/09

Loc: USA
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Carl N]
      #5885006 - 05/26/13 01:47 AM

I read the threads here on the Skytracker and the Polarie.

The Skytracker drive accuracy is possibly not good enough consistently enough - there is some discussion about that. The Polarie seems better, but the cost of Polarie + needed accessories seems to be $550 and up. Both have PE of course, and neither have PEC. In either case, I would be pushing the rated weight at times. The heavier-duty offerings from Losmandy, Kenko, etc. cost much more than the AVX does. I started looking into midrange EQ mounts as having the best potential for my needs, and found this thread after a search on CG-5.

The AVX seems better in every way to the SkyTracker and Polarie except compactness and weight. Payload 4x higher, counterweighted for balance, PEC-equipped, and ready for connecting electronics / laptop. In general, a heavier-duty device with greater built-in precision. It seems to me the mount should certainly be up to the task I intend, but I've never done this before.

So the camera is easily mounted, albeit by buying something else. How about the tripod? Is it not feasible or economical to mate this head to something like a stout Manfrotto, Gitzo or Benro etc tripod? I really don't want to carry (or store) another bulky piece of hobby gear. I see astrophotographers who look like the Borg has assimilated them, and I would rather do without the photos than end up with a set-up like that.

SunBlack
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/05/11

Loc: Rome (IT)
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: derangedhermit]
      #5885100 - 05/26/13 04:13 AM Attachment (50 downloads)

I looked at the image of polar scope....(see attachment), the ring arrowed why does not show an index with the months? (my gpdx polar scope does), how you can align properly the polar scope without that index? I mean, how can i predict if internal reticle is in proper position? (for my vixen i referred to this guide http://www.backyardastro.com/?page_id=51 and make that oct 10 at 1.20h thing: for cg-5/vx is impossible??? )

Edited by SunBlack (05/26/13 04:18 AM)

ohata0

Reged: 03/10/09

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: derangedhermit]
      #5885102 - 05/26/13 04:19 AM

you say you want PEC, but don't want to get into guiding.

I'm not sure if this would be a problem for you, but according to the manuals of both the ZEQ25GT and the VX, in order to enable PEC, you need to autoguide for 10 mins so the mount can record the PEC.

I'm not sure if there are other mounts that do this differently (don't require guiding to enable PEC), but i didn't realize that in order to enable PEC you need an autoguider.

oh, also, the ZEQ25GT doesn't store the PEC--it's lost every time you power down (you might as well guide).

there may be adapters to attach the mount to a photo tripod...i know that people have attached mount heads to what looks like surveyor tripods (and people have adapted those as photo tripods).

i don't think they sell the mount heads by itself though, unless you are getting the heavy duty mounts--many people put those types of mounts on piers, so you wouldn't need the tripod in that case.

as for attaching the camera/lens to the mount, you can buy a dovetail adapter for it.

ETXuser

Reged: 03/02/10

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: ohata0]
      #5885128 - 05/26/13 05:33 AM

Hi, I have had one of the Celestron VX Advanced mounts for 2 weeks now and due to 12 days of solid cloud cover I only got to try it last night.
I think the handset or the internal electronics may have a fault.
The handset will not keep or remember the Time & Date I enter into the celestron Handset,even when the mount is powered by my celestron portable 12v battery pack which is fully charged & working ok the VX mounts handset does not keep the Time & Date.I have switched off the mount for 30 minutes & when I switch it back on the Time & Date I switched the mount off is supposed to show in the handset (Do I have this part correct?)but no it shows a Time of 01hr 00min 00sec & 01/03/00 Date, which was the Time & Date the mount has shown since I took the mount out of it's box when I first got the mount.
I try a Quick align and set the location to a nearby city from the list in the Handset I then put in the correct current time & date and the Handset says align ok.
So I then go back to the handset menu to view the Time & Site info and it is never the time or date I have only just set it always reverts to a time of 01hr 00min 00sec & a US date format of 01/03/00.
The date last night when I got my first chance to try the VX mounts 2 star align was May 26th 2013, so in the handset I put the US date format 05/26/13 and the time which was 12.50AM. So far so good I think, So I tried the 2 star align and the mount slewed nearly 180 degrees from where the 2 align stars were. So I went into the handset menu to view the Time & Site and guess what yes the time & date I set was not remembered it had reverted to the 01/03/00 date and 01hr 00min 00sec time.
I DO have the Real Time Clock in utilities set to ON.
I have tried turning the real time clock "RTC" in the handset to OFF then back to ON in case the handset was being funny but no luck.
I have reset the handset back to Factory Defaults but this does not help keep the Time & Date I set for my location.
I am beginning to think I got a duff VX mount.
Ideas from more experienced users than me would be helpful please?

Edited by ETXuser (05/26/13 05:48 AM)

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: ETXuser]
      #5885145 - 05/26/13 06:03 AM

I'd check the RTC battery, it's under the panel with the connectors. You need to remove the 4 screws to open it and maybe remove the circuit board. IIRC it takes a CR2032 battery.

If you aren't happy doing this then you need to contact Celestron and/or your dealer.

Chris

ETXuser

Reged: 03/02/10

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: cn register 5]
      #5885388 - 05/26/13 11:03 AM

Thanks for the help, I'd be interested if other new users of the celestron VX have had similar problems with the RTC not keeping the Time & Date info while the mount is in use or if they also had to replace the RTC battery?
Thanks great forum.
sorry double posted

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: ETXuser]
      #5885590 - 05/26/13 01:11 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the help, I'd be interested if other new users of the celestron VX have had similar problems with the RTC not keeping the Time & Date info while the mount is in use or if they also had to replace the RTC battery?
Thanks great forum.
sorry double posted

I have seen new mounts with the RTC battery already dead, so it is not particularly surprising to find one that way.

However, if the handset is loosing the time even when you have not turned the mount off, then something else is going on. If there was a problem with the RTC or the battery, then each time you turn the mount on it would display the date from the previous time that you used the mount. The only time the hand controller should revert back to a default date and time is when you do a factory reset or firmware update on the HC.

I would try a factory reset on the controller and see if that helps. If not, then try a firmware update. If neither solve the problem then you should contact Celestron about a replacement since there have been some problems reported with some of the new hand controllers.

Pages: << 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | >> (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 80146

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics