Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | >> (show all)
mistyridge
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/28/05

Loc: Loomis, CA
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: powerstroke01]
      #5886020 - 05/26/13 06:36 PM

A couple of questions regarding the AVX. Does the AVX have a wide "Losmanday" saddle or is it the narrow V style saddle? If it is the V style saddle, can the V saddle be removed easilly? Does ADM or Robin Casaday offer a wide saddle that can be bolted onto the AVX. All of my scopes have wide dovetails.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: mistyridge]
      #5886033 - 05/26/13 06:46 PM

It is Vixen format, just like the CG5.

mistyridge
Post Laureate

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: rmollise]
      #5886041 - 05/26/13 06:54 PM

Do you know if anyone makes bolt on wide saddle?

zawijava
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/06/07

Loc: Wells, Maine 04090
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: mistyridge]
      #5886064 - 05/26/13 07:05 PM

ADM does...just released.

Quote:

Do you know if anyone makes bolt on wide saddle?

mistyridge
Post Laureate

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: zawijava]
      #5886099 - 05/26/13 07:26 PM

Thanks.

MartinTreadgold

Reged: 04/17/13

Loc: Netherlands
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: SunBlack]
      #5886460 - 05/27/13 12:58 AM

I have that polar scope for the VX mount, and as far as i can see.. when you look through it, you see the constellation cassiopeia and ursa major templates through the eyepiece, you just need to rotate the polar scope until these templates are in line with the actual constellations.. So you don't need to know what month it is.

I've only bought it the other day and not tried it yet, the summer months are now too light to do any astronomy.

I do know you need to calibrate it during the day time.

Hope this helps

Best regards

Martin

dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/05/12

#5899976 - 06/03/13 03:35 PM

Quote:

Also, an older non-plus HC loaded up with the latest (4.21) ASGT firmware will work with the mount...

As I understand it also from that conversation the hardware on the HC hasn't changed only the code and they were using other GEM controllers to mate up with the new AVX's so that would make sense.

Edited by dr.who (06/03/13 03:35 PM)

dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: cn register 5]
      #5899980 - 06/03/13 03:38 PM

Quote:

Personally I'd forget about the polar scope but get a reticle EP. This will help to give a good alignment and so a good polar alignment using ASPA.

Chris

Depends. If you like getting down on your knees and/or into odd positions to look through it... Game on! I jest! Seriously though some like it some don't. ASPA is the recommended option.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: dr.who]
      #5900153 - 06/03/13 05:07 PM

Quote:

As I understand it also from that conversation the hardware on the HC hasn't changed only the code and they were using other GEM controllers to mate up with the new AVX's so that would make sense.

No...if I am understanding you correctly, the Plus controller hardware is definitely different.

dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

#5900204 - 06/03/13 05:30 PM

Quote:

No...if I am understanding you correctly, the Plus controller hardware is definitely different.

Hi Rod-

When I spoke to the Celestron guy one of the things he mentioned was that in the beginning they were shipping with existing GEM controllers. They may have switched since that initial production run but I don't have first hand knowledge of such. What he told me however validates your post regarding older hand set new code. Sorry for the confusion.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

#5900262 - 06/03/13 05:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Personally I'd forget about the polar scope but get a reticle EP. This will help to give a good alignment and so a good polar alignment using ASPA.

Chris

Depends. If you like getting down on your knees and/or into odd positions to look through it...

Odd positions? You are aware that it's possible to fit scopes with diagonals? It's far easier to polar align on Arcturus or Denebola using the main scope and a diagonal than grovelling around trying to peer through a straight through polar finder, especially at 52 deg N.

Chris

rmollise
Postmaster

#5900308 - 06/03/13 06:23 PM

Quote:

Hi Rod-

When I spoke to the Celestron guy one of the things he mentioned was that in the beginning they were shipping with existing GEM controllers. They may have switched since that initial production run but I don't have first hand knowledge of such. What he told me however validates your post regarding older hand set new code. Sorry for the confusion.

I got a new Plus controller with my VX/Edge 800 combo, but, honestly, I'd have been happier with the old one.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: cn register 5]
      #5900313 - 06/03/13 06:28 PM

Quote:

Odd positions? You are aware that it's possible to fit scopes with diagonals? It's far easier to polar align on Arcturus or Denebola using the main scope and a diagonal than grovelling around trying to peer through a straight through polar finder, especially at 52 deg N.

Chris

And it is far easier still to use AllStar for _polar alignment_. The main scope won't have a polar reticle, for one thing.

dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: cn register 5]
      #5901844 - 06/04/13 01:41 PM

Quote:

Chris

Chris-

I was attempting (and failing) to be funny.

I was also referring to the polar scope. I used one quite extensively with my CG5 until I discovered the joy that is a high power laser (35mw) for rough polar align.

I now simply fit the laser into the polar scope hole via PVC bushing hack on the AVX and adjust the mount via moving it or the knobs until the laser points roughly at Polaris. From there I either fine tune via an EP in the scope which gets me close enough for government work and visual observing or drift align after ASPA for AP.

No need to get down on my old and busted knees and twist my old and busted back/neck into a position to look through the polar scope.

Now if you are telling me there is a RACI or even RA polar scope that will fit in or on the AVX I will gladly and quickly pay a reasonable amount of money immediately for it and go right back to it as I found the polar scope easier for my little bean head to work with than ASPA in terms of visual and rough polar for AP.

dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: rmollise]
      #5901847 - 06/04/13 01:43 PM

Quote:

Looked last night at the replacement HC I got from Celestron. It is for sure a different HC than what I started with. So it must be the + controller you are referring to.

My point was that the original GEM controller will work with Rev 4.x code on the AVX just like you said. Looks like we are violently agreeing here.

PaulN

Reged: 10/12/08

Loc: Massachusetts
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: dr.who]
      #5902622 - 06/04/13 08:52 PM

I like that idea with laser for the rough alignment.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5903438 - 06/05/13 09:01 AM

Quote:

Looked last night at the replacement HC I got from Celestron. It is for sure a different HC than what I started with. So it must be the + controller you are referring to.

My point was that the original GEM controller will work with Rev 4.x code on the AVX just like you said. Looks like we are violently agreeing here.

Yep...as for your new controller...if it has that funky Celestron symbol on one of the keys, yes, it is that dadgum plus.

Works fine...I just don't like going down one menu level to get to the Ms and NGCs...

Edited by rmollise (06/05/13 09:02 AM)

dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: rmollise]
      #5904561 - 06/05/13 07:00 PM

Cheers Paul. Here are two shots of the system. The first one shows the rails and clips I use. The rails on the Edge are from ADM as are the clips for the finder and the rail on the Tak is from Celestron. The setup allows me to move my finder, guider, and laser from one OTA to another. On topic somewhat (I hope) since there is a shot of my AVX in there as well...

This second one shows the laser on top of the rail on the AVX...

Again trying to keep this remotely on topic... The 8" and the Tak ride very comfortably on the AVX without strain and weigh in at about 29 lbs all up. The Edge 1100 was out at this last Saturday's star party and also did very well on the AVX. Better actually than my CG5 as it would strain a bit in certain positions even with good balance.

Rod-

Funny you mention that... I was annoyed by that this weekend too and didn't realize until now why I got confused at first and then annoyed at myself because I thought I was imagining things. Now I am just annoyed at Celestron.

bersonic

Reged: 01/20/13

#5907280 - 06/07/13 01:52 AM

What are your thoughts on mounting an orion 8" astrograph for astrophotography on the Avx?

Holltim4103

Reged: 02/25/13

Loc: Plattsburgh, NY
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: bersonic]
      #5910589 - 06/08/13 11:16 PM

I have the VX with the 8 inch Astrograph and I was getting two minute subs without auto guiding. I have the 50 mm guidescope for auto guiding and it handled the weight no problem. You can see some of my images with this setup at the link below. I love my setup and am definately impressed with the mount although I am currently having technical problems with the mount. I am waiting on Celestron for a new hand controller and may need to ship my mount back to them for replacement if the hand control doesn't fix the mount.

Pages: << 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | >> (show all)

Extra information
26 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 80135

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics