Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | >> (show all)
starhunter50

Reged: 09/08/10

Loc: Tilbury,Ontario 42N , 82W
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Holltim4103]
      #5916218 - 06/12/13 01:36 AM Attachment (78 downloads)

Hi guys, so far all is well with the mount, the DEC is very well behaved as
compared to my CGEM. The RA is a bit jumpy,but not excessive.
about 0.6 pixels E/W , a few PHD parameter changes might help.
at the moment i run nothing under 300sec, getting round stars @ 2.11 FWHM.the
offset if any is still in my cutting shortcuts in the Polar alignment. the GOTO
are spectacular..
hibernate works great, and im tear down not Perm DOME.
love my HC, very simple to use bright LCD,slanted buttons helps on the menue when changing settings .
So far so good, even though my Firmware is outdated, i dont change things when
it works well.
More to come.
Mitch

Edited by starhunter50 (06/12/13 01:41 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
SunBlack
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/05/11

Loc: Rome (IT)
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Holltim4103]
      #5935014 - 06/22/13 05:10 PM

I'm still learning before buying one of these VX mounts.

A question about PECTOOL: from whatta i understood, i can do a session of PEC trainings via a laptop and PECTOOL, then the software averages them, then i can upload the averaged thing back to the mount.
Well the question: This averaged thing is permanently stored into mount? Next sessions i would use PEC, should i only playback it by HC and it starts the averaged thing i previously uploaded, without need of a laptop?

@Holltim4103: two minute subs without auto guiding? Which FL and camera?

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: SunBlack]
      #5935023 - 06/22/13 05:18 PM

PECTool:
Yes, once you have downloaded the PEC corrections to the mount they stay there. All you need to do is start PEC playback.

However I would also keep it on the PC because a factory reset or software upgrade may delete it from the mount and being able to reload it may be useful.

Chris

SunBlack
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: cn register 5]
      #5935038 - 06/22/13 05:25 PM

Of course a backup would be desiderable.

SunBlack
professor emeritus

#5937423 - 06/24/13 02:34 AM

Another quick question: i supposed to have read that Vixen GP polar scope is compatible with CG5 mounts (with VX then too), am i wrong?

Carl N

Reged: 03/18/12

Loc: San Diego, CA
      #5955263 - 07/04/13 08:54 PM

Just noted there is an update to the SkyQ app that fixes the bug for the AVX. I haven't tried it out yet.

Edited by Carl N (07/04/13 08:55 PM)

grid

Reged: 03/27/13

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: cn register 5]
      #5964811 - 07/10/13 10:04 PM Attachment (66 downloads)

Thanks for the advice on looking for the battery to fix the date and time issue. I'm not sure if this is standard or not, but I had to open this up and there was a small piece of plastic blocking the battery from completing a circuit. I had to remove the piece of plastic for this to work. This is on the side of the mount and requires you to remove the side panel and the circuit board on the panel to see the battery. See the attached picture.

Edited by grid (07/10/13 10:06 PM)

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: grid]
      #5965036 - 07/11/13 12:13 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the advice on looking for the battery to fix the date and time issue. I'm not sure if this is standard or not, but I had to open this up and there was a small piece of plastic blocking the battery from completing a circuit. I had to remove the piece of plastic for this to work. This is on the side of the mount and requires you to remove the side panel and the circuit board on the panel to see the battery. See the attached picture.

That looks like a normal battery protector that is used to conserve these batteries, but I have never seen one still in place inside a mount. I have only seen them (sometimes) on new boards.

starhunter50

Reged: 09/08/10

Loc: Tilbury,Ontario 42N , 82W
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: benula]
      #5970618 - 07/14/13 04:03 PM

If anyone wants to contribute to our AVX group please pass it on or sign up...
http://ca.groups.yahoo.com/group/celestronVX/
Mitch

186vett

Reged: 01/29/13

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: starhunter50]
      #5971385 - 07/14/13 11:00 PM

So, with my VX mount, now at 3 months, at some point, I'll need to replace the battery?
Thanks Folks for your Response-Jerry

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: 186vett]
      #5971912 - 07/15/13 09:47 AM

Well, yeah, any battery will have to be replaced eventually. It should take a long time for the VX battery to need replacement, however. Maybe as much as a couple of years.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Carl N]
      #5972810 - 07/15/13 05:58 PM

Quote:

Just noted there is an update to the SkyQ app that fixes the bug for the AVX. I haven't tried it out yet.

Please let me know if it worked for you. I updated the app and it still doesn't show EQ mode just Alt/AZ.

palmer570

Reged: 09/04/12

Loc: Scranton, Pennsylvania
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5973515 - 07/16/13 02:35 AM

Finally first night out under the stars with the VX, and the wait was worth it. Rough polar align, two star align with 2 calibration stars and it was dead on the couple targets I glanced at.

My main objective was to get first light with VX, SSAG, PHD, Elbrus, and Sequence Gen. and try to get everything working for tomorrow night which looks like its going to be even better.

However once I got PHD up and running (graph looked pretty good from the start but what do I know lol) I took my time tweeking it to smooth it out the RA a little. I started to just sit there staring up at the stars and barely glancing at the graph.

Didn't get to plate solving or imaging but was a great night out.

seawolfe
sage

Reged: 06/26/13

Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: palmer570]
      #5973656 - 07/16/13 07:20 AM

I'd like to save my alignment from a night before session. I've marked out in paint on the grass on the field where I observe where my tripod legs go. Also painted a marker where North is.

So, can I use Last Align to really used a saved alignment? I tried using hibernate but I must have done something wrong using it because when I powered up out of hibernate, slewing to the Moon was way off.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: seawolfe]
      #5973663 - 07/16/13 07:39 AM

The scope doesn't know it has moved so if you want to preserve an alignment then you must replace the scope in exactly the same position.

If you want to get arc minute accuracy the tripod legs would need to be in the same place to within a fraction of a mm. Also the Last Alignment would require that the mount be set to the index position to within an arc minute. That may be possible with index switches but probably not by aligning the marks on the mount by eye.

Similarly with Hibernate - and the mount itself must not be moved.

Starting from the same position should help with doing the alignment though.

Chris

seawolfe
sage

Reged: 06/26/13

Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: cn register 5]
      #5973767 - 07/16/13 09:41 AM

Well that beats it then, I'll just have to run the alignment every time.

I have the paint markers just a little wider than the tripod feet, so the putting the feet down is within a 1/4 inch.

I need to take the telescope inside or store it in my shed as I live in an apartment with a 5 acre lawn at my back door (it has a natural gas pipeline, so no one can build on it).

heyjojos

Reged: 05/19/11

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: seawolfe]
      #5982374 - 07/21/13 02:28 AM

Hi
I live in Singapore where the latitude is 1.4 deg and would like to buy the AVX mount. I have read that the specification for the mount is 7-77 deg. I have written to Celestron asking if the mount would work if I install a half pillar on the tripod. I'm concern that there would be interface issues between the counterweight and tripod. Unfortunately, Celestron responded that it would not work despite installing the half pillar on the tripod.

I do like some second opinion as I still think that it would work. I like to have this confirmed before I my purchase. Has anyone tried this and work? Appreciate any advise. Thanks.

Jojos

jrcrillyAdministrator
Refractor wienie no more

Reged: 04/30/03

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: heyjojos]
      #5982382 - 07/21/13 02:44 AM

Quote:

Hi
I live in Singapore where the latitude is 1.4 deg and would like to buy the AVX mount. I have read that the specification for the mount is 7-77 deg. I have written to Celestron asking if the mount would work if I install a half pillar on the tripod. I'm concern that there would be interface issues between the counterweight and tripod.

If you tilt the tripod 5.6 degrees then tripod/counterweight issues would be the same as if the tripod were level and your latitude 7 degrees. Then you'd just have to worry about how far that shifts the center of balance. I didn't do the math but it seems as though it should still be well within the tripod legs.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: jrcrilly]
      #5982387 - 07/21/13 02:56 AM

There's a photo back in this thread showing the mount on a pier set to about zero latitude. It's about half way down page six.

Chris

KevinS

Reged: 12/27/11

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: ETXuser]
      #5984100 - 07/22/13 07:49 AM

I had a similar problem.
After experimenting, I believe it works like this...
The HC can be set to get time from it's config memory, a remote GPS, or the motor board (RTC). The default is for it to get it from the HC (config memory)
Since this is static information, you have to set it every time the unit is turned on.
The RTC still has a time of day when it was made/qc checked/initialized.
If the RTC battery were dead or not connected then you wouldn't see this time progress between power cycles. (Worth checking before opening the circuit cover.)
I found that you can set the RTC clock after you enable it in utilities then walk backwards through the menus until you get to the location/time setting. RTC does not get set in the default power up time setting. You have to back into it to set the RTC.
Again, this is what I derived from experimentation. Your results may vary.
Love this mount, hate the manual.

Pages: << 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | >> (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 72353

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics