Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | (show all)
Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: bunyon]
      #6050388 - 08/28/13 10:18 AM

Kochab clock method
http://www.weasner.com/etx/ref_guides/polar_align.html
I do like you suggested with my ETX80. It has a laser finder. I use TheSky6 to show me where the pole is in relation to Polaris and I set the mount for the laser to point there. Close enough for an ETX80 and would be a good starting point for a CGEM/Avx before doing an ASPA.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MartinTreadgold

Reged: 04/17/13

Loc: Netherlands
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: bunyon]
      #6050396 - 08/28/13 10:24 AM

The polar scope I have for my VX, has a Cassiopeia and Ursa Major constellation template, you roughly align the 2 constellations in the polar scope, i.e. the positions of the constellation should match where they actually are in the sky. Ok, accepted, this isn't 100% accurate. I think the idea is to roughly align the mount with the polar scope, then do the ASPA routine to fine tune the alignment.

IMHO, you probably don't need a polar scope, you can just look through the hole, roughly see where Polaris is through the hole, then use ASPA.

Best Regards
Martin

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: SunBlack]
      #6050414 - 08/28/13 10:40 AM

Quote:

2. have not tried to not tightening the collar of supplied power cable, but how care? I mean, i would use a DOY plug which has not the threaded collar, and it doesnt work

You don't need a plug with a threaded collar. If it is the correct PLUG it will work and fit. I guarantee it, because I have done it.

SunBlack
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/05/11

Loc: Rome (IT)
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: rmollise]
      #6050694 - 08/28/13 01:17 PM

Point 2 solved. Bought another plug.

SunBlack
professor emeritus

#6050775 - 08/28/13 02:09 PM

What could happen to the mount if i plug an ac adapter with 2A max powerage (i just own)?
I knew VX need 3.5A min.....

Dr.Don

Reged: 05/31/13

Loc: Northern California
      #6051003 - 08/28/13 04:27 PM

The simple answer is "DON'T DO IT". The vast majority of the current requirements are for the motors. The faster slew speeds will require the most power. Two amps is probably sufficient for tracking but do not attempt a GOTO or any alignments. That is likely to require more current than your power supply can deliver, pulling down the output voltage for the electronics and motors. You will have terrible voltage swings as the motors spin up and down. Your HC will probably go crazy and I suspect you will significantly reduce the motor lifetimes. Some power supplies have over-current protection and turn off.

Treat your new mount nicely and it will live long. I bought an MFJ 4115 15 Amp power supply for $60 (http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-009793) and a $7 cable with mini-battery cable claws on 1 end
and cigarette lighter receptacle on the other end. I use the Celestron-supplied car adapter cable.
My power supply will never be a limiting factor for anything I add-on or simultaneously running a second AVX (pipe-dream).

Read specs carefully. This supply looked promising: http://www.frys.com/product/6986877?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG until you see that it supplies 6 Amps continuously for only 30 minutes. That will not be a problem for a solitary AVX but watch the additional current requirements for add-ons.

SunBlack
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Dr.Don]
      #6051949 - 08/29/13 05:23 AM

Point 1 resolved.
New questions:
4) Polaris Ha and Clock are visualized on HC, by a command/feature?
5) the RA bolt doesnt secure properly the RA axis: even if i tighten the bolt, the RA axis turns (if i put a bit of pressure by hand). How to fix?

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

#6051965 - 08/29/13 06:08 AM

4) Don't understand what you mean by "Polaris Ha and Clock".

5) What do you mean RA bolt? The Ra axis - actually Hour Angle - is the one that's pointing towards Polaris and there isn't a bolt that you tighten. Are you referring to another axis?

As for power it's unlikely that you will damage your mount running it on a 2A power supply but you may find that it's less reliable. The mount only needs the full power for a small amount of time as the motors start. Some power supplies have a surge capability that's enough to handle this. If it doesn't and the power to the computers is interrupted, even for an instant, strange things can happen.

Chris

SunBlack
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: cn register 5]
      #6052009 - 08/29/13 07:07 AM

4) i mean a similar indication http://www.astropix.it/appunti/immagini/HEQ5PF4.JPG

5) i mean this RA bolt http://www.celestron.com/media/blog/avx-small.jpg

Cliff Hipsher
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: North Chesterfield, VA
      #6052061 - 08/29/13 08:08 AM

Quote:

What could happen to the mount if i plug an ac adapter with 2A max powerage (i just own)?
I knew VX need 3.5A min.....

All of the "Magic Blue Smoke" will leak out and the power supply will be ruined... Get a supply that has at least 4 amps.

SunBlack
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Cliff Hipsher]
      #6052280 - 08/29/13 10:42 AM

Besides 4 e 5,
6) First nught is first light, which routines i should perform? I mean, goto calibration, and or others?

rmollise
Postmaster

#6052300 - 08/29/13 10:52 AM

Quote:

Point 1 resolved.
New questions:
4) Polaris Ha and Clock are visualized on HC, by a command/feature?
5) the RA bolt doesnt secure properly the RA axis: even if i tighten the bolt, the RA axis turns (if i put a bit of pressure by hand). How to fix?

4. No. That's Synscan only. Most people use ASPA with the Celestron mounts. Almost any astronomy program or app can give you this, though.

5. I haven't encountered this. As long as nothing slips, it I will be good enough. You don't want to tighten anything excessively.

rmollise
Postmaster

#6052304 - 08/29/13 10:53 AM

Quote:

Besides 4 e 5,
6) First nught is first light, which routines i should perform? I mean, goto calibration, and or others?

I've never worried about these. If you are visual, just sight Polaris in the RA bore and do a good 2+4 alignment. That is all you need.

SunBlack
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: rmollise]
      #6052825 - 08/29/13 03:41 PM

@ rmollise: i use Skymap and Polar Finder....i do not see those Polaris value, any other (little) software to advice?

Carl N

Reged: 03/18/12

Loc: San Diego, CA
      #6052912 - 08/29/13 04:27 PM

The bolt isn't a bolt. It's a clutch lever. Look at the definition of a clutch. If you pull hard enough the RA axis will turn.

SunBlack
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Carl N]
      #6052935 - 08/29/13 04:38 PM

Sorry i come from Italy, my english is not so much fine to know these tech terms

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

#6053019 - 08/29/13 05:35 PM

The Hour Angle axis is supposed to move. There are two screws underneath it that are used to adjust and fix it's position, people tend to call then the altitude adjusting bolts because they are used to adjust the altitude of the Hour Angle Axis.

As for alignment on the first night I would forget about all the difficult things. Set it up with the hour angle axis pointing more or less towards Polaris, do a two star alignment and add one or two calibration stars. Don't bother with polar aligning or calibrating.

Then have some fun. Enjoy looking through your new scope and using your new mount.

Chris

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: SunBlack]
      #6053103 - 08/29/13 06:22 PM

Quote:

@ rmollise: i use Skymap and Polar Finder....i do not see those Polaris value, any other (little) software to advice?

Open Cartes du Ciel and click on Polaris and bring up its information window. The LHA will be there.

SunBlack
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: cn register 5]
      #6053159 - 08/29/13 06:53 PM

I prefer to open another separeted thread. See at: http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=6053771&...
Thanks

Dr.Don

Reged: 05/31/13

Loc: Northern California
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: SunBlack]
      #6055465 - 08/31/13 02:51 AM

I am having my own set of AVX mount issues. Mine is ver inconsistent on tracking. I balance the scope according to the manual. I do a rough polar align with the bore hole then a 2 star align. It's usually pretty good but...
My wife is in the house and says she can hear the motors. I'm not worried about it. But when I use the HC the response of the scope is either very smooth or very jerky. Same happens when it is tracking. It's either super or every 2-4 seconds one of the motors will suddenly turn on and the image jumps about 20% of the FOV.

But other times the tracking is so smooth that I could probably get multi-sec subs.

This is independent of the clutch positions and it isn't consistent.

Other than something is wrong with the mount, what else can I check?

Pages: << 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | (show all)

Extra information
15 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 71874

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics