Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | (show all)
cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Dr.Don]
      #6055485 - 08/31/13 03:29 AM

Power.

I had a power tank that was going bad, it was delivering 10V instead of 12 and gave this sort of inconsistent behaviour. Changed to a good battery and it was perfect.

Chris

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#6055673 - 08/31/13 09:01 AM

During tracking, ONLY the RA motor is in use. If it "jumps," something is badly wrong with your mount and it needs to be returned to your dealer.

Dr.Don

Reged: 05/31/13

Loc: Northern California
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: rmollise]
      #6056570 - 08/31/13 07:21 PM

I'm running mine off a 15 Amp supply and while I haven't measured it I'm sure that isnt the problem.

With excellent alignment only the RA will move but I expect some small movements in Dec to occur when the alignment is off a bit. But it shouldn't be jumping. This jerkiness happens occasionally when I use the HC. My mount has about 5 hours of use so I wonder if I just need to run it longer.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

#6057062 - 09/01/13 03:43 AM

If you are just tracking and not guiding then you should be seeing absolutely no movement of the dec axis at all. It will only move if one of the dec guide signals is sent to the motor controller through the AG port on the mount or if an up or down button is pressed. The stars may drift, depending on how good the polar alignment is, but that should be smooth.

What direction are these jumps you are getting? Are they in the same direction as the left right buttons move? That's the hour angle axis and if it isn't tracking smoothly in that direction I'd talk to your dealer. Maybe the Ha axis has been set too tight. This could also account for the motor being loud, it seems louder than I would expect.

Chris

MartinTreadgold

Reged: 04/17/13

Loc: Netherlands
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: cn register 5]
      #6057196 - 09/01/13 07:20 AM

From the last year of reading AVX issues, here's Check list to follow:-
- Factory Reset
- Firmware update of the HC using an R232 cable to your PC
- Make sure the DEC and RA Clutch locks are not hitting the housing.
- DateTime + GPS location settings are correct
- Battery is fully charged, low batt causes strange tracking.
- Loose power connectors and cables.
- Payload is correctly balanced.
- You calibrated the mount on the HC menu
- you're not placing anything too heavy on the mount, max payload 30lbs advertised etc
- The tracking slew rate on the hand control is set correctly? hence factory reset will solve that..
- Its aligned properly? try to align with 4 calib stars, then do an ASPA polar alignment

What you are describing, I don't think i have read anything like that on this forum before, where the motor kicks in an jumps erratically, unless it's one of the things on the above check list.

Persevere with it for now, could be something simple

Best regards

Martin

Edited by MartinTreadgold (09/01/13 07:21 AM)

Carl N
sage

Reged: 03/18/12

Loc: San Diego, CA
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: MartinTreadgold]
      #6057638 - 09/01/13 12:55 PM

How much jerking? Is it possible that your final movements are not using the up and right arrows? If so perhaps what you are noticing is backlash effects.

Hobbes42
journeyman

Reged: 03/07/13

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Carl N]
      #6058639 - 09/02/13 02:45 AM

Just received my 8 EdgeHD/Advance VX combo and have been putting the AVX though its paces, all while dodging the New Mexico monsoon season. Everything seems to be working well with one observation. Both the RA and DEC axis seem quite stiff, to the point that balancing scope is not as obvious as it should be. GOTOs are working well after a 2+4 alignment. I'm coming off a loaner fork mount SCT so a EQ mount has a bit of a learning curve for me. Is this a issue that will resolve itself as the mount bearings settle in or do I need to call the vendor/Celestron for assistance. Thanks for any advice

Carl N
sage

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Hobbes42]
      #6059522 - 09/02/13 03:34 PM

I have found that my clutches are not so tight after break-in and balancing is much more obvious.

Dr.Don

#6059836 - 09/02/13 07:00 PM

The Dec will jump about 20% of the field of view every few seconds. I am careful to follow the up&right movements. This also happens when I use the hand control. I can hold the right arrow down for up to a few seconds before the mount moves and then its 1 quick jump, like a high speed slew. Almost none of this is 100% repeatable but once the Dec motor starts jumping every few seconds while tracking it will do it continuously.

I will go through the factory reset/careful balance/firmware version check et al that was recommended.

One advantage I have is that the Orion store in Cupertino is 10 minutes from my office so I can stop in at lunch.

Don

Hobbes42
journeyman

Reged: 03/07/13

#6059971 - 09/02/13 08:46 PM

Carl,

Thanks for the reply. A better way of expressing the issue with my VX mount would be to say that with the clutches fully released the RA and DEC axis each do not spin freely or easily. When I was considering the ZEQ25 I saw a video with the RA spinning like a top and very little drag. My VX seems to have significant drag in both the RA and DEC. Not sure if this is a problem or not.

Dr.Don

#6060099 - 09/02/13 10:01 PM

I did a factory reset and all of my tests with the Dec issue are going to be done without the OTA and counter weights - just the mount.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

#6060438 - 09/03/13 03:19 AM

Quote:

The Dec will jump about 20% of the field of view every few seconds.
One advantage I have is that the Orion store in Cupertino is 10 minutes from my office so I can stop in at lunch.

I'd take it back to them and see what they can do, that seems to be a mechanical problem to me. It's a lot easier than us trying to help remotely.

I made my first ever astro purchase at the Cupertino store, a 17mm Sirius Plossl. Then went to a star party at Fremont peak to try it.

Once I got home (the UK) I bought a mirror set and made my first scope.

Chris

rmollise
Postmaster

#6060650 - 09/03/13 09:02 AM

Quote:

Carl,

Thanks for the reply. A better way of expressing the issue with my VX mount would be to say that with the clutches fully released the RA and DEC axis each do not spin freely or easily. When I was considering the ZEQ25 I saw a video with the RA spinning like a top and very little drag. My VX seems to have significant drag in both the RA and DEC. Not sure if this is a problem or not.

The same was true to an even greater extent with the CG5. And yet, I was able to do 10-minute autoguided shots with the CG5, and its go-tos were dead on and still are 9 years later. I expect the same will be true of the VX.

rmollise
Postmaster

#6060652 - 09/03/13 09:03 AM

Quote:

The Dec will jump about 20% of the field of view every few seconds. I am careful to follow the up&right movements. This also happens when I use the hand control. I can hold the right arrow down for up to a few seconds before the mount moves and then its 1 quick jump, like a high speed slew. Almost none of this is 100% repeatable but once the Dec motor starts jumping every few seconds while tracking it will do it continuously.

I will go through the factory reset/careful balance/firmware version check et al that was recommended.

Don

You're saying declination jumps during normal tracking? If so, something is incredibly wrong. The mount's declination motors don't operate during normal tracking.

Nippon
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/22/09

Loc: Central Florida
      #6061310 - 09/03/13 04:36 PM

I have a Celestron AC power supply that I use with my NexStar 8 SE. Will that same AC power supply work on the AVX I just ordered?

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Nippon]
      #6061346 - 09/03/13 05:08 PM

What's its current capacity (amps)? The one Celestron sells with the VX will put out about 4-amps which is about right.

Nippon
scholastic sledgehammer

#6061369 - 09/03/13 05:28 PM

It puts out 2.5 amps. I just looked on Celestron's site and the Advanced VX is listed as compatible with the one I have. But I have read that the VX mount has a threaded power supply port.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Nippon]
      #6061401 - 09/03/13 05:47 PM

It's threaded but a non threaded connector will still usually work. 2.5 amps is OK but marginal.

Nippon
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: rmollise]
      #6061412 - 09/03/13 05:56 PM

I am going to the Chiefland Star Party Group star party in Oct. I have a 17 amp hour Celestron power tank but I do not know if that will run the VX mount and dew heaters to keep a C8 dew free all night. I only saw the ac adapter I already have and the 5 amp one for the CGEM and CGE Pro listed on Celestron's site. Is there a 4 amp one that they have not yet listed?

Carl N
sage

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Hobbes42]
      #6061666 - 09/03/13 09:06 PM

That was definitely not the same as mine. When the clutches are released she spins like an oiled top.

Pages: << 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | (show all)

Extra information
17 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 78224

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics