Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | (show all)
ohata0

Reged: 03/10/09

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Nippon]
      #6062225 - 09/04/13 07:36 AM

the 5 amp one will work with the vx. i e-mailed celestron support after reading conflicting info from their site, and other vendors listing the 5 amp ac adapter as the one for the vx.

they said both will work fine, although they recommend using the 5 amp if you intend on doing astrophotography (more power for the motors)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#6062297 - 09/04/13 08:46 AM

Quote:

I am going to the Chiefland Star Party Group star party in Oct. I have a 17 amp hour Celestron power tank but I do not know if that will run the VX mount and dew heaters to keep a C8 dew free all night. I only saw the ac adapter I already have and the 5 amp one for the CGEM and CGE Pro listed on Celestron's site. Is there a 4 amp one that they have not yet listed?

"5-amp." Mea culpa.

You won't be able to run the mount and heaters off one 17ah pack in Chiefland all night. The good part? There is plenty of AC.

seawolfe
sage

Reged: 06/26/13

Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18
      #6062307 - 09/04/13 08:50 AM

Quote:

I am going to the Chiefland Star Party Group star party in Oct. I have a 17 amp hour Celestron power tank but I do not know if that will run the VX mount and dew heaters to keep a C8 dew free all night. I only saw the ac adapter I already have and the 5 amp one for the CGEM and CGE Pro listed on Celestron's site. Is there a 4 amp one that they have not yet listed?

Before I purchased my AVX, I asked Celestron about their AC adapters and they suggested the CGEM CGE Pro which is rated at 5 Amps if I was going to do anything other than observe.

They also suggested the 17 Amp power tank over the other one. However I went with a jump battery power station from Black & Decker which had a power inverter for AC, two AC plugs as well as one DC plug. I've used it for 3 days (4 to 5 hours a day) observing without having to recharge it.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: seawolfe]
      #6062312 - 09/04/13 08:58 AM

Yep. I do NOT recommend the Power Tanks. Too many problems over the years. A Black and Decker like you got, or a generic jumpstarter from Pep Boys, WallyWorld, or Harbor Freight is much better.

Dr.Don

Reged: 05/31/13

Loc: Northern California
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Carl N]
      #6062488 - 09/04/13 11:21 AM

My old Super Polaris mount on my C8 easily spins around with the clutches released. My VX easily turns by hand but if I give it a good shove it moves but not very much at all.

Dr.Don

#6062501 - 09/04/13 11:32 AM

I ran an experiment last night. I removed the counter weights and OTA. I replaced the OTA with a meter stick clamped in its place. I used the meter stick because it is very light and to make any jumps in Dec much more obvious.

Then I simulated a very poor alignment and tracked about 5 objects scattered across the sky for 4 hours last night. I did not see any jumping in Dec and the arrow keys seemed to drive the mount correctly.

I am leaning to believe that the tight clutches are not letting me get a good balance and that is causing the problems with Dec movement.

If so, should I expect the clutches to loosen up with use (hopefully not too much use) so I can get a better balance?

Don

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Dr.Don]
      #6062561 - 09/04/13 12:21 PM

Balance would not cause the problem you are seeing...some kind of drift in declination while tracking.

Nippon
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/22/09

Loc: Central Florida
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: rmollise]
      #6063121 - 09/04/13 05:50 PM

Perhaps I can just run my dew heaters off the 110 volt AC to 12 volt DC and the VX off the power tank at the star party until the piggy bank builds back up. My converter came from Scope Stuff and they said right on the site that it was not recommended for scope drives due it not having a clean output . Who knew electricity could be dirty. Anyway these little odds and ends add up.

Dr.Don

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: ohata0]
      #6063171 - 09/04/13 06:12 PM

I promised people to check if the printed documentation I received with my new AVX included a reference to a mount bubble level. The online version does not have any reference to a bubble level but the documentation that ships with the AVX still refers to the bubble level in the mount. As was pointed out, the mount doesn't need a built-in level.

Hobbes42
journeyman

Reged: 03/07/13

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Carl N]
      #6063631 - 09/05/13 12:20 AM

Ron/Carl,

Thanks for the words on the stiff RA and Dec. I have a email out to Celestron about my mount. That being said, it looks we have a break in the monsoon so I'll do a tracking test this weekend at high power. Goto is dead on after 2+4 and a polar alignment. Thanks again

Dr.Don

#6064541 - 09/05/13 02:15 PM

I posted more detailed comments about my frustrations with the AVX mount in the thread "Celestron VX mount: experiences and problems". The bottom line is that I'm taking the mount back to Orion today.

Gary Minder

Reged: 06/23/13

#6065261 - 09/05/13 09:42 PM

Quote:

I ran an experiment last night. I removed the counter weights and OTA. I replaced the OTA with a meter stick clamped in its place. I used the meter stick because it is very light and to make any jumps in Dec much more obvious.

Then I simulated a very poor alignment and tracked about 5 objects scattered across the sky for 4 hours last night. I did not see any jumping in Dec and the arrow keys seemed to drive the mount correctly.

I am leaning to believe that the tight clutches are not letting me get a good balance and that is causing the problems with Dec movement.

If so, should I expect the clutches to loosen up with use (hopefully not too much use) so I can get a better balance?

Don

Check out this video for a method to find the dec balance point of your OTA. It negates the problem of a stiff dec axis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T16u6pZLBeA

Carl N

Reged: 03/18/12

Loc: San Diego, CA
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Gary Minder]
      #6065430 - 09/05/13 11:53 PM

Doh!!! How obvious was that! Thanks for posting!

Compendium

Reged: 10/19/10

Loc: Wisconsin, USA, Earth
      #6066542 - 09/06/13 05:00 PM

Quote:

Yep. I do NOT recommend the Power Tanks. Too many problems over the years. A Black and Decker like you got, or a generic jumpstarter from Pep Boys, WallyWorld, or Harbor Freight is much better.

So, something like this in my link would be much better than the Celestron Power Tank and would last longer? I was thinking of buying the Power Tank, but I'll go with something else if it's better.

http://tinyurl.com/m5lqmm2

dr.who
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/05/12

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: mark379]
      #6075352 - 09/11/13 03:12 PM

Quote:

Has anyone tried a C11 for visual? Any more stable than a cg5?
I had a c11 CGEM a while back but with 2 flights of stairs it was a little difficult on my back...

Yes. I have a Edge 1100 I use regularly and quite successfully on it. It does fine on it. Caveat be prepared for vibrations though. I was in the same boat. Using the CGEM was not fun and this is supposed to be fun.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Compendium]
      #6075459 - 09/11/13 04:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So, something like this in my link would be much better than the Celestron Power Tank and would last longer? I was thinking of buying the Power Tank, but I'll go with something else if it's better.

Looks nice...nowhere do I see its amp-hour rating. It's rather expensive unless that is substantially more than 17 - 20 ah or so.

Dr.Don

#6077555 - 09/12/13 06:21 PM

A few notes about batteries.
The capacities of batteries is rated in Amp-hours (AHr). A 10 AHr battery is not capable of supplying 10 Amps for 1 hour but can supply 1 Amp for 10 hours. Batteries have a maximum discharge current and that value is what to use when calculating how long the battery will last. The PowerTank is a 17 AHr battery. I'm going to make that 18 AHr to make the math easier. The max AVX current requirement is 3 Amps. 18 AHr/3 Amps = 6 hours. The 3 Amps is the max needed and that occurs when both motors are running at full speed. The power needed to track is significantly smaller. A fully charged PowerTank can probably run the mount all night if there are no other powered accessories.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Dr.Don]
      #6077693 - 09/12/13 08:44 PM

Actually, don't depend on a 10ah battery delivering one amp for 10 hours, either. It may be in the ballpark, but hat is usually all.

seawolfe
sage

Reged: 06/26/13

Loc: N 47.11.23 W 122.20.18
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Compendium]
      #6078224 - 09/13/13 05:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

This is the one I use and I've been very happy with it.

However, I got mine at Home Depot and for just a little bit less and no shipping...but there of course was sales tax.

Edited by seawolfe (09/13/13 05:10 AM)

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: seawolfe]
      #6078267 - 09/13/13 06:19 AM

It's obvious that no one has actually measured the current the AVX takes.

If you do so you will see that the claims that the AVX takes 3 amps when slewing are totally untrue.

Chris

Pages: << 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 27 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 71629

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics