Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | (show all)
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: cn register 5]
      #6078357 - 09/13/13 08:55 AM

Quote:

It's obvious that no one has actually measured the current the AVX takes.

If you do so you will see that the claims that the AVX takes 3 amps when slewing are totally untrue.

Chris

Okay, then, how much?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: rmollise]
      #6078414 - 09/13/13 09:33 AM

I posted some time ago but no one seems to have believed me.

If you measure it for yourself, then you can post what you see, and not rely on CN myths.

Chris

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#6078508 - 09/13/13 10:44 AM

So, IT'S A BIG SECRET with you, then?

I don't recall you or your post, sorry.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: rmollise]
      #6078765 - 09/13/13 01:29 PM

Don't be silly Rod, how can something that anyone with a mount and a meter can check for themselves be a secret?

If I post people will not believe me. If you do they will.

It's like the myth of having to realign after ASPA. I had been trying to get this across for years but got nowhere. You try it, post on your blog and everyone believes you. The only thing that changed was that you said it would work.

The huge reputation that you have carries a responsibility; you have to be careful that what you say is correct. It would not be reasonable for you to believe me, an anonymous poster on CN, this is why I suggest that you try this for yourself.

Chris

faltered
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/01/05

#6078891 - 09/13/13 03:03 PM

I agree with what Chris is saying - Rod does hold some serious weight on CN. But for the sake of this conversation, I agree with Rod. How about you just post your results?

nodalpoint
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/03/13

Loc: FEMA camp
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: faltered]
      #6079117 - 09/13/13 05:37 PM

Several weeks ago I asked to see photos taken using the AVX. I managed to find a few on Astrobin and those, along with the higher weight capacity, prompted me to buy an AVX over the smaller iOptron. My mount arrived a couple weeks ago and I've been able get my first ever astrophotos. Below are results from my second and third nights out (sorry the small jpgs look a little softer than the full resolution). The All-Star polar alignment is awesome; I took these from a back porch with no way to see Polaris and limited views south, east and west.

I know I have a long way to go but hopefully there are other beginners out there who might benefit from my early experience with the AVX. It's my first GEM and I've found it simple to set-up and align, the go-to's are fantastic and overall it's been great so far.

Susan H

Reged: 08/01/13

Loc: Texas
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: nodalpoint]
      #6079390 - 09/13/13 08:41 PM

Nodalpoint, those are great pictures! I have finally figured out my new AVX with the help of the guy I purchased it from. The first mount just was broken, the second was fine, but the hand controller was broken. Now, it works as advertised. I have a lot to learn about it's potential yet. It is a wonderful mount. Glad I got it.

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Susan H]
      #6079542 - 09/13/13 10:32 PM

Hey Susan,
You were supposed to keep us posted on your scope ,,, Am glad its all working for you,,, is good to know what fixes a problem, happy viewing,
Kasey

00Billy

Reged: 09/14/13

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: ghataa]
      #6080345 - 09/14/13 12:49 PM

newbie here...been doing my bit pricing a setup (120ED +CGEM) = what I want..but (Vx6"+vxmount)what can I afford.

I contacted support about the 6" + VX mount...they didnt expand.
------------------
Hello William,
Thank you for contacting Celestron Technical Services. The Ota is the same. The Cg5 mount has been discontinued and the VX mount has replaced it.
Thank you,
Tyler
---------------------

For me reality is a VX mount and a skywatcher 100ed apo ...then my budget will allow for AP extras. Heard the mount is rated for 35lbs i think...worried about not getting CGEM now.

Jon_Doh
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/16/11

Loc: On a receiver's back
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: 00Billy]
      #6080526 - 09/14/13 02:32 PM

Quote:

newbie here...been doing my bit pricing a setup (120ED +CGEM) = what I want..but (Vx6"+vxmount)what can I afford.

I contacted support about the 6" + VX mount...they didnt expand.
------------------
Hello William,
Thank you for contacting Celestron Technical Services. The Ota is the same. The Cg5 mount has been discontinued and the VX mount has replaced it.
Thank you,
Tyler
---------------------

For me reality is a VX mount and a skywatcher 100ed apo ...then my budget will allow for AP extras. Heard the mount is rated for 35lbs i think...worried about not getting CGEM now.

I'm using the AVX with a 6" achro and the mount handles it just fine.

joelimite
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/01/08

Loc: Fayetteville, AR
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: nodalpoint]
      #6080917 - 09/14/13 07:00 PM

Terrific shots, nodalpoint! What're you using to autoguide?

Nippon
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/22/09

Loc: Central Florida
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: joelimite]
      #6081037 - 09/14/13 08:21 PM

I received my Celestron VX mount last Monday and I'm pretty impressed so far. I had one clear night to try it out and just put my 4" refractor on it. It was easy to do a two star alignment and a couple of calibration stars, after an eyeball polar align. The mount put everything in the center or near center of the eyepiece. Granted its a 795mm refractor using a 32mm eyepiece. Everything worked right out of the box and I had no issues with stiff RA or DEC axis like I have read other people have. I also read that someone was concerned that the axis lock clutches won't lock it up tight. But perhaps that is to allow the axis to slip if the scope gets driven against a tripod leg. Who knows but they do lock up tight enough. I was also impressed that the motors are pretty quiet and have a nice precision sound. My hope was to try it with an 8"SCT tonight but alas Central Florida this time of year. One more thing I have a GP2 that I consider quite solid with the SCT or the refractor but the AVX is like a rock, at least with the 4" scope.

Nippon
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Nippon]
      #6081083 - 09/14/13 09:06 PM

Still cloudy so here is a photo with the SE C8 OTA. And yes only vanity I know but I could not resist buying the ADM aluminum anodized orange polar scope cap and cover. They were pretty inexpensive.

Nippon
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Nippon]
      #6081089 - 09/14/13 09:08 PM Attachment (86 downloads)

Silly me. Forgot the photo

Susan H

Reged: 08/01/13

Loc: Texas
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: dragonslayer1]
      #6081242 - 09/14/13 10:48 PM

I'm sorry, Kasey. Things kind of got slow waiting on Celestron. Then the HC wouldn't function. I was at wits end with it all. I'm hoping to go out in the morning and find my favorite...M42, and Jupiter. Can really see them good this time of year from my yard. Report back later...

dragonslayer1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: SLC, UT
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Susan H]
      #6081287 - 09/14/13 11:36 PM

Just giving you a hard time LOL ,,, check out Mars too. enjoy your scope,
Kasey

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: faltered]
      #6081568 - 09/15/13 06:06 AM

Quote:

I agree with what Chris is saying - Rod does hold some serious weight on CN. But for the sake of this conversation, I agree with Rod. How about you just post your results?

OK, let's try it.

AVX mount, 12V SLA battery.
Power on, waiting to be ready, no tracking 0.24A
Aligned and tracking 0.3A
Slewing RA full speed, no load 0.5A
Slewing Dec, full speed, no load 0.45A
Slewing to object, both motors 0.63A

If I apply a load to the motors to simulate being out of balance the current increases but I couldn't get a single motor above 0.7A, that's total current draw.

I was using a StarSense so that includes the StarSense module. I doubt that the normal HC will be much less.

So allowing an average of 0.5A would seem reasonable for estimating battery life.

Why the high power specification for the PSU?
This is because when DC motors start they take a much higher current while they are starting. This is only for a short time but the power supply must be able to deliver it. This is for such a short time that it doesn't make much difference to the average current that affects how long a battery will last.

This is the result of actual measurement. It is not speculation, guesswork or made up.

Chris

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: cn register 5]
      #6081885 - 09/15/13 11:20 AM

Quote:

This is the result of actual measurement. It is not speculation, guesswork or made up.

Thanks, Chris. Very good data. I've experienced nearly the exact same readings with a CGEM DX with two well-balanced side-by-side refractors mounted with a combined weight of over 50lbs. Balance makes the difference when it comes to stressing the motors and increasing current draw.

nodalpoint
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/03/13

Loc: FEMA camp
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: joelimite]
      #6082448 - 09/15/13 05:10 PM

Quote:

Terrific shots, nodalpoint! What're you using to autoguide?

Thanks! Using the Orion 50mm guide scope and an ASI120MM camera with PHD. Pretty basic.

Eric38

Reged: 05/04/07

Loc: Chicago
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: rmollise]
      #6132043 - 10/11/13 09:42 PM

Been doing some visual observing with the AVX and a de-forked C8. I think the C8 is going to stay with the AVX until I get a newer one, as the one I have is over 25 years old. Not that that is a bad thing though. The goto accuracy is the best I have ever experienced. I have had a Meade, still have an Ioptron smartcube and Orion's intelliscope push to. It gives the user great confidence in knowing once slewed to an object it will be there. If I can not resolve the object I know it is not the mount but other factors like seeing, light pollution or the optical train. Last Wed the 9th was a fantastic evening with a limiting visual mag of about 6. Mag 9.5 to 10 were about the limit with a 26mm wide field eyepiece. Neptune and Uranus were really awesome to find and observe. Even got the Sculptor galaxy (NGC253). The mount is sturdy and very capable. I may need to get another counter weight because I have maxed it out with my visual set up and I suspect that camera equipment would be as heavy or heavier. Counter weights from my CG-4 will fit though but I do not like to scavenge from one set up to the next.

Quote:

Not sure what you mean regarding USB-serial. A Keyspan works just fine with my VX and Windows 7 64-bit machine.

What is a "Keyspan"?

Edited by Eric38 (10/11/13 10:12 PM)

Pages: << 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | (show all)

Extra information
27 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 80167

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics