Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | >> (show all)
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: esthel]
      #5682125 - 02/15/13 06:36 PM

Quote:

I would need to install NexRemote to have Stellarium and any software that requires EqMod. I would not be able to only run only EqMod?

NO. You will not be able to run EQMOD period. It will NOT work with the Celestrons.

To use Stellarium with the scope, all you need install in Stellarium...nothing else.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

#5682164 - 02/15/13 06:53 PM

I think NexRemote may need an upgrade to run with the AVX.

But you don't need NexRemote to run Stellarium. Connect to the real HC. The basic hand controller functionality is the same as all the other NexStar based scopes.

You definitely don't need Eqmod.

Chris

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: cn register 5]
      #5682166 - 02/15/13 06:56 PM

Not sure about an upgrade being needed. At this point I believe the program will run as is...we'll see...

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: rmollise]
      #5682308 - 02/15/13 08:42 PM

Against my better judgement I broke down and bought the SkyQ accessory today and the app. I am actually pretty impressed. Now I also own SkySafari and the SkyFI module which is great but I think for my kids to use I am going to prefer SkyQ.

Ben B

Reged: 02/03/13

Loc: GA
      #5682635 - 02/16/13 12:09 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I would need to install NexRemote to have Stellarium and any software that requires EqMod. I would not be able to only run only EqMod?

NO. You will not be able to run EQMOD period. It will NOT work with the Celestrons.

To use Stellarium with the scope, all you need install in Stellarium...nothing else.

To elaborate a bit more, the Advanced VX comes with a serial cable that plugs into the hand controller. I was able to connect this serial cable to my RS232 to USB adapter (my netbook doesn't have a serial port), install the ASCOM platform, Celestron ASCOM drivers, and control the mount with Stellarium and PHD Guiding without any issues.

So assuming you either have a serial port on your computer or a serial to USB adapter, the mount comes with all the hardware needed to control it from a computer.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Ben B]
      #5682927 - 02/16/13 08:08 AM

Excellent. I'm now hoping to hear from someone who's used NexRemote with the mount...

Edited by rmollise (02/16/13 08:11 AM)

SeptemberEquinox
sage

Reged: 01/29/12

#5683052 - 02/16/13 09:36 AM

Omg, I love this mount.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: SeptemberEquinox]
      #5683332 - 02/16/13 11:48 AM

You don't need to run NexRemote, you can use the real HC as a HC just as usual and control it with Stellarium or any application that uses the ASCOM driver.

There's a new ASCOM driver version, 5.0.30, that's aware of the AVX, it's needed to use the mount based guide commands.

I have tried NexRemote 1.7.22, it basically works but the mount is identified as an AS-GT.

Chris

BTW I'm not convinced this big bucket for all the AVX messages is such a good idea. We end up getting the same questions asked and answered multiple times. Separate threads with meaningful topics would help those who don't have time to go through all 400 odd messages

C

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

#5683454 - 02/16/13 12:47 PM

Perhaps the Mods can lock and sticky this for a month or so and new questions can be asked in new threads?

For the record I am fine with it either way but I do agree that a lot of information is now buried within.

Edited by Whichwayisnorth (02/16/13 12:48 PM)

jfrech14

Reged: 01/17/12

Loc: Virginia, USA
      #5684167 - 02/16/13 08:11 PM

I just made a pier adapter out of an old c8 wedge base.. it was easy as pie and is amazingly sturdy. It will have no problem handling my 25 lb load. The only thing is I felt some play in the gears after I took the scope off and put it back on.. it was verrry tiny play and took a bit of force... but im paranoid somebody put my mind at rest haha the antibacklash works very well and pointing is ridiculously amazing. It works with thesky6 as well as X obviously since it comes with first light edition. I got the ac power adapter.. it is NOT threaded sadly but it sticks in fair enough. Im just gonna tape it to my pier. I am having issues with all star polar align.. I find that drift align works better but I will play around with it more some other time. I come from lx200s so this mount is... relatively silent compared to an lx... im in love lol

jfrech14

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: jfrech14]
      #5684169 - 02/16/13 08:12 PM

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/32612_10151506134449680_966114564...

jfrech14

#5686424 - 02/18/13 04:38 AM

I LOVE THIS MOUNT. After doing 3 hrs of 10 minute drift aligns I have 5 minute guiding in RA only down to round stars and its pretty windy.. This was one of the best investments I've made yet

chasdz

Reged: 01/04/13

Loc: Seattle
      #5691811 - 02/20/13 09:51 PM

So as I have stated earlier in this string I have been a LX 200 user for years. HOW DO I LEVEL THIS MOUNT? Do you level the tripod prior to placing the head on it? Is that good enough?

blave

Reged: 08/11/09

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Tanchistu]
      #5692066 - 02/21/13 12:44 AM

Based on my brief experience with the SmartEQ Pro mount that I briefly owned before sending it back to iOptron just a couple weeks ago, I would give it a miss. I think it's too light to be very useful. I could not get very accurate go-tos with it, and that's being pretty familiar with iOptron's hardware/firmware ((I bought it for purely visual observing, but did not warm up to it even for that). Spend a little more and be willing to lug a little bit more weight around (even the venerable AS-GT) and I think you'd be happier.

My previous mount was an AS-GT, and the current one is an iEQ45, which I've been having reasonably good luck with when using it as a guided mount (unguided has been hopeless for whatever reason; much worse than with the AS-GT).

That said, this new VX mount is very intriguing; its price point is unbeatable if it doesn't suck 8^) . Which is why I'm reading this thread!

cheers,

Dave B.
San Jose, CA

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: chasdz]
      #5692300 - 02/21/13 07:42 AM

Quote:

So as I have stated earlier in this string I have been a LX 200 user for years. HOW DO I LEVEL THIS MOUNT? Do you level the tripod prior to placing the head on it? Is that good enough?

Just level the tripod. Don't spend a lot of time worrying about it. Leveling is not necessary.

tjugo
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/06/07

#5692451 - 02/21/13 10:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Just level the tripod. Don't spend a lot of time worrying about it. Leveling is not necessary.

Yeap, don't spend more than 1 minute leveling the tripod because:

1) EQ mounts doesn't need to be leveled to operate properly
2) The built-in bubble is very inaccurate anyway

Cheers,

Jose

chasdz

Reged: 01/04/13

Loc: Seattle
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: tjugo]
      #5692777 - 02/21/13 01:36 PM

Thanks to all for the help.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: chasdz]
      #5692896 - 02/21/13 02:49 PM

The AVX doesn't even have a bubble. Put it down, say "that looks about right" and get on with your life.

Chris

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

#5693191 - 02/21/13 05:33 PM

Could you guys please explain why level doesn't matter? Tell me like I'm 5. I can't get my head around it.

Seems to me that if the mount was low in the west and you align a star then when the mount sweeps around to the east the mount will be pointing high.

benula

Reged: 04/27/11

Loc: Stillwater, MN
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Whichwayisnorth]
      #5693245 - 02/21/13 06:02 PM

Being out of level in North/South is compensated by changing altitude. Being out of level in East/West needs no compensation.

Compared to someone at a different longitude/latitude, your tripod is always out of level and yet eq mounts work just fine in both places.

This makes sense in my head...maybe someone else will be around to correct me soon.
-Ben

Pages: << 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | >> (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 71664

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics