Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | >> (show all)
WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: Snohomish, WA
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: ohioalfa64]
      #5698865 - 02/24/13 08:12 PM

Quote:

It is very realistic because it is true. Wise up to where prices really are.

Um, you do realize that Uncle Rod literally wrote the book on SCTs, right? He also wrote The Used SCT Buyer's Guide.

He's a bit of an authority on this topic.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mistyridge
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/28/05

Loc: Loomis, CA
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: WadeH237]
      #5699228 - 02/25/13 01:43 AM

QUESTION?...Will this mount carry a C9.25 with a video cam? Or, is it only usful for a C8.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: mistyridge]
      #5699375 - 02/25/13 07:42 AM

Quote:

QUESTION?...Will this mount carry a C9.25 with a video cam? Or, is it only usful for a C8.

It will. Not as steady as a C8, natch, but quite good for a Mallincam, that's for sue.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: WadeH237]
      #5699450 - 02/25/13 09:08 AM

Quote:

Um, you do realize that Uncle Rod literally wrote the book on SCTs, right? He also wrote The Used SCT Buyer's Guide.

He's a bit of an authority on this topic.

Well, thanks. I really don't know much more--if anything more--than anybody else, but I do know the price of a good cigar and the price of a good telescope (mount).

Carl N

Reged: 03/18/12

Loc: San Diego, CA
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: rmollise]
      #5699618 - 02/25/13 10:45 AM

I don't know about OhioAlfa getting some special deal, but right now a new CG5 is on sale for $639 at Woodland Hills. Maybe they "hyper tune" for no additional fee. But that's still not $499.

dr.who
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/05/12

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Carl N]
      #5699954 - 02/25/13 02:35 PM

Carl,

I talked to Farah this last Friday and I believe she will be dropping the price quite a bit more than that. I would call and ask... The number I heard was closer to $500 than $600...

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: dr.who]
      #5699996 - 02/25/13 02:57 PM

That may be. It's a discontinued product now.

ghataa
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/20/11

Loc: Central, NJ
      #5700529 - 02/25/13 08:31 PM

Love my CG5 after Ed's hypertune. Smooth.

George

GTBaker

Reged: 02/01/13

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: ghataa]
      #5702196 - 02/26/13 06:13 PM

My shipment of Edge 8 and VX mount have become separated. The scope is in but mount is late. Always the way.

I wonder of the Edge 8 is handhold-able mounted on the Canon 5DMKII?

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: GTBaker]
      #5702268 - 02/26/13 06:50 PM

That is referred to as "Staging."

-Rich

R L Harris

Reged: 01/31/13

Loc: Tecumseh, OK
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Starhawk]
      #5702297 - 02/26/13 07:09 PM

To all
Want to hear if anyone with 8"SCT have achieved good
results imaging with this mount?

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Ken Hutchinson]
      #5702479 - 02/26/13 09:06 PM

Maybe ADM could be enticed to make a replacement azimuth post to allow mating of the VX head to CG-5/Sirius/SVP accessories like Orion's pier extension.

Sadly that won't help me. I run my CG5 on Antares piers (48" and 60" depending on OTA length) and the azimuth posts on the piers is part of the casting of the top plate.

Still, I'm wondering if I could rig something that I could JB Weld to the cast-in post on one of the top plates. I have two piers and two top plates, and could run one as a VX dedicated plate and the other for other CG5 compatible heads.

- Jim

watcher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/21/07

Loc: St. Louis, MO
      #5702917 - 02/27/13 05:31 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Y'all's thoughts on the good, old CG5's replacement?

The ergonomics look nice. Just don't like improvements being made for imagers that visual only folks are gonna have to pay extra for. Not a huge price increase, but still....

Imagers only? Better tracking and steadiness will be more than welcomed by visual obsevers as well.

Better than what? Depending on how lazy I am at set up,with my "old" CG-5 AS-GT, I can put something in the eyepiece and watch it till my eye bleeds, and it's rock solid with all the scopes I use on it. Like I said, it's a pretty mount, and imagers look to be very happy with the improvements, but at a realistic 100 to 150 dollar difference, it's not gonna rock my world for visual use. YMMV.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: watcher]
      #5703116 - 02/27/13 09:28 AM

Quote:

Better than what? Depending on how lazy I am at set up,with my "old" CG-5 AS-GT, I can put something in the eyepiece and watch it till my eye bleeds, and it's rock solid with all the scopes I use on it. Like I said, it's a pretty mount, and imagers look to be very happy with the improvements, but at a realistic 100 to 150 dollar difference, it's not gonna rock my world for visual use. YMMV.

Well, if you are happy with your CG5, and don't want better, don't buy a VX. You won't hurt my feelings.

RishM

Reged: 03/19/12

Loc: Near Boston, MA
      #5703321 - 02/27/13 11:31 AM

Got the new VX mount last week and the initial impressions is very good. Nice sturdy mount. Quiet slewing. It is quite heavy to transport. So, if you have a couple of steps to handle from/to your scope storage (like I do), it could be quite a work-out.

This is my first Go-To and I was a bit flummoxed by the handset software at first. For example, on the first setup screen, you get a chance to choose a city or setup the Lat/Long co-ordinates. For the life of me, I could not figure out a way to switch between those options. It appears as a drop-down box, but the arrow keys don't switch between the options - the SCROLL keys do. Quiet counter-intuitive, I'd say.

It has been cloudy/stormy ever since I got the mount. I will add my impressions after star-light.

watcher
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/21/07

Loc: St. Louis, MO
      #5703410 - 02/27/13 12:19 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Well, if you are happy with your CG5, and don't want better, don't buy a VX. You won't hurt my feelings.

OK , then I won't run out and replace the CG-5! As long as I know it won't hurt your feelings, I'll stand pat. Seriously, though, I'm glad I got it when I did last year. I don't need to be paying for PE this and arc second that. It's only better if it's needed. If the CG-5 doesn't last me the rest of my life, at least it should last until the VXs go on sale awaiting THEIR replacement.

GTBaker

Reged: 02/01/13

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: watcher]
      #5703548 - 02/27/13 01:45 PM

Got my mount and scope. Can't wait to unbox it after work. The two boxes barely fit in my Yaris. I could barely change gears.

Starhawk
Space Ranger

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: Tucson, Arizona
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: GTBaker]
      #5703616 - 02/27/13 02:30 PM

I am just enjoying this mental image.

There's always a lot of foam in Celestron's boxes for the valuable parts.

-Rich

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: jrbarnett]
      #5703897 - 02/27/13 05:29 PM

Quote:

I run my CG5 on Antares piers (48" and 60" depending on OTA length) and the azimuth posts on the piers is part of the casting of the top plate.

Still, I'm wondering if I could rig something that I could JB Weld to the cast-in post on one of the top plates. I have two piers and two top plates, and could run one as a VX dedicated plate and the other for other CG5 compatible heads.

- Jim

Something like that may be possible. The AVX fits on the AS-GT tripod, it's just that the azimuth adjusting post is too close. It may be possible to extend the post outwards a bit or drill and tap the existing top plate and fit a new adjustment post.

The usual disclaimers apply of course.

Chris

jfrech14

Reged: 01/17/12

Loc: Virginia, USA
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: cn register 5]
      #5703928 - 02/27/13 05:47 PM

To anyone thinking about putting a 9.25 on the avx.. Id say give it a whirl. I have 25 lbs on this mount with amazing results (although mine is pier mounted). I believe this mount has more stability and is more capable than anyone really thought. It is quite a stunning mount for its class

Pages: << 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | >> (show all)

Extra information
24 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 71629

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics