Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | (show all)
Dr.Don

Reged: 05/31/13

Loc: Northern California
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: rockstarbill]
      #6007955 - 08/05/13 04:46 PM

I see several people complaining the missing bubble level described in the documentation. The online version doesn't talk about a bubble level and isn't called out on page 6 with the parts identification. The word 'bubble' doesn't appear anywhere. Maybe it is a left-over paragraph from one of the other mounts that was removed on the latest version.

I ordered my 9.25/AVX today. I will let everyone know if the printed manual I get still refers to the bubble level.

Don

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Dr.Don]
      #6008003 - 08/05/13 05:16 PM

There is no need for a bubble level on a GEM. If you simply must have one, Harbor Freight has 'em for .99 cents.

ohata0

Reged: 03/10/09

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Dr.Don]
      #6008896 - 08/06/13 07:45 AM

the manual that i downloaded a few months ago says it has a bubble level "built into the mount for this purpose) (pg 29 leveling the mount during polar alignment). i just bought my vx a couple of weeks ago and my printed manual says the same thing about the bubble level.

although, you are right, it doesn't say anything about it in the parts list.

*sigh* still waiting for clear skies...my weather app said it was supposed to be clear. lies. mostly cloudy. still went out there and tried polar aligning as best as i could though, in the breaks.

question about the polar alignment...how accurate is the "display alignment" in the hand control supposed to be? does anyone know how it gets calculated? after i did the aspa, it said my alignment was within 3-4 arcseconds for both RA and DEC.

i'm wondering how accurate that is, because my latitude scale was set to around 27 degrees, but my latitude is 21. does everyone else's latitude scale match their actual latitude after an accurate polar alignment?

EyeSage

Reged: 06/08/12

Loc: Canukistan
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: ohata0]
      #6009208 - 08/06/13 11:21 AM

Starting with a leveled tripod can ease the polar alignment process somewhat by minimizing how much alt. adjustment will be needed from the previous alignment (assuming you're at the same latitude as the last time you set up) and ensuring there is no tilt to the az. adjustment with respect to the horizon. I'm not sure the effort saved matches the effort of leveling the tripod in the first place though. Aside from potentially easing the process, as long as there's not enough tilt to introduce mechanical instability, once you're aligned you're no worse off if the tripod wasn't level to begin with.

There seems to be a perception by some that leveling the tripod is important, even critical, and my feeling is manufacturers include provisions for leveling as reassurance. It certainly doesn't hurt anything to start from level, and I'll even give a quick check with the bubble level app on my iPod if I'm setting up on uneven ground. As long as you're confident you can get a reasonable eyeball level though, I wouldn't sweat it.

I can't answer your question about how accurate the display alignment should be but I can note that if your tripod isn't level to begin with it can affect the apparent latitude as determined by the angle of the alt. axis of your polar alignment. Six degrees sounds like quite a bit though. Is it always out by this amount or does it vary night to night?

Dr.Don

Reged: 05/31/13

Loc: Northern California
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: ohata0]
      #6009301 - 08/06/13 12:06 PM

All documentation should have date and version numbers as part of the document. That would have ended this confusion.

It would be interesting if you looked at the most recent online version of the manual to see how different it is from your printed copy. I didn't see anything on page 29 about leveling the mount as part of the polar alignment process.

I'm sure I will get used to it but the polar alignment process sounds time consuming. It argues for a permanent installation but I'm not going to ask my wife to let me turn the backyard gazebo into an observatory. It's a shame because it is in a good spot for it.

My first thoughts about alignment accuracy is that it is the ratio of the change in declination needed with the change in RA to track objects and is unrelated to PEC.

I have developed a truly marvelous expression for this which this text is too awkward to contain. (Mathematicians can stop laughing now).

SunBlack
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/05/11

Loc: Rome (IT)
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: SunBlack]
      #6009566 - 08/06/13 02:10 PM

UP....
Quote:

UP.....
Quote:

Another quick question: i supposed to have read that Vixen GP polar scope is compatible with CG5 mounts (with VX then too), am i wrong?

nodalpoint
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/03/13

Loc: FEMA camp
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: SunBlack]
      #6009599 - 08/06/13 02:27 PM

Apologies in advance if this is a dumb question, or already answered in the thread and I missed it, but one of the advertised features is the ability to polar align without being able to see Polaris if it's blocked by trees or buildings. How is this done and "does it work"? I ask because one of the places I use to observe has a partly obstructed view but I would like to image from there.

TIA!

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: nodalpoint]
      #6009618 - 08/06/13 02:42 PM

The All Star Polar Alignment (ASPA) method does not use Polaris and yes, it works.

After a normal alignment using at least two stars select a star. Best is one near the meridian and not too high.
Select Align - Polar align - align scope.
Follow the instructions on the display. Basically it moves to the star you selected and asks you to centre it in the field.
Then it does a slew to where the star will be if the mount is polar aligned. You adjust the mount using the scope adjustment bolts to centre the star, when done press Enter.

That's it.

Chris

nodalpoint
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: cn register 5]
      #6009628 - 08/06/13 02:46 PM

Thanks Chris. With the process explained like that it makes more sense to me now.

rockstarbill

Reged: 07/16/13

Loc: Snohomish, WA
      #6010790 - 08/07/13 02:34 AM

You should do 4 stars in your alignment though. The initial 2 and 4 more. I get much better results from the full enchilada than I do from just 2.

Seanem44
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/22/11

Loc: Woodbridge, VA
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: rockstarbill]
      #6011111 - 08/07/13 09:37 AM

Anyone pair this up with an AT65EDQ? I'm trying to narrow down a new mount to the AVX or the ZEQ25. Or maybe I can save and go with the CG5? I'm a stright up novice, as I am moving up from wide field Milky Way astrotrac photos.

nodalpoint
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Seanem44]
      #6011326 - 08/07/13 11:51 AM

Looked through the whole thread and only saw a few images made using the AVX. Is there a place to see more or can anyone share here?

schluterdude

Reged: 08/05/13

Loc: Centerville, OH
      #6011648 - 08/07/13 02:54 PM

Has anyone needed to rebalance significantly as it breaks in? Mine was smooth, but tight out of the box, and needed additional weight to balance. Last time I was out, I checked it out of curiosity, and the CB side sank like a rock!

Carl N

Reged: 03/18/12

Loc: San Diego, CA
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: schluterdude]
      #6012630 - 08/07/13 10:51 PM

I noticed something similar. After 4 months it is still smooth, but not as tight. In fact I had to adjust my clutch locks, see earlier posting this forum.

Edited by Carl N (08/07/13 10:52 PM)

dr.who
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/05/12

#6012761 - 08/08/13 12:16 AM

I have seen it with the AT65 but not done so myself. It worked splendidly. I use it with my Tak TSA-120 and 8" Edge without issue so it should be more than fine. Just can't bloody find a AT65EQ for the life of me or i would have first hand... It has all the same key features as the CGEM at half the weight and with improved motors and card so it is worth the extra money over the cg5. Especially for a novice.

Seanem44
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/22/11

Loc: Woodbridge, VA
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: dr.who]
      #6012960 - 08/08/13 06:49 AM

Quote:

I have seen it with the AT65 but not done so myself. It worked splendidly. I use it with my Tak TSA-120 and 8" Edge without issue so it should be more than fine. Just can't bloody find a AT65EQ for the life of me or i would have first hand... It has all the same key features as the CGEM at half the weight and with improved motors and card so it is worth the extra money over the cg5. Especially for a novice.

A little bird told me Astronomics is waiting for them to clear customs. Once the wait listers (me included as of this week) are shipped out, there should be a fair amount left if you still want one. They are imminent at this point.

ddanley

Reged: 08/08/13

Loc: Friendswood Tx
      #6013788 - 08/08/13 01:58 PM

Hello,

Can anyone tell me if the Nexstar 8 SE will work with this mount or do I need to purchase adapters.

When I first bought this scope a couple months ago, I hadn't really given much thought to Astrophotography... I hooked up my DLSR and got a few second exposures and I think I am hooked.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: ddanley]
      #6013817 - 08/08/13 02:09 PM

Your scope has a dovetail bar, right? If so it will go right on the VX.

ddanley

Reged: 08/08/13

Loc: Friendswood Tx
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: rmollise]
      #6014082 - 08/08/13 04:19 PM

Rod,

I am not sure... Here is a link to the manual with the 8SE being on the right. Is this the Dovetail bar?

http://www.celestron.com/c3/images/files/downloads/1152120348_1106811069manua...

Thanks!

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: ddanley]
      #6014112 - 08/08/13 04:36 PM

Yep, that is a Vixen style dovetail.

Pages: << 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 71799

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics