Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | >> (show all)
dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/05/12

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Seanem44]
      #6015153 - 08/09/13 06:00 AM

Quote:

A little bird told me Astronomics is waiting for them to clear customs. Once the wait listers (me included as of this week) are shipped out, there should be a fair amount left if you still want one. They are imminent at this point.

That would be bloody wonderful. Thank you for letting me know!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ddanley

Reged: 08/08/13

Loc: Friendswood Tx
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: rmollise]
      #6017655 - 08/10/13 01:56 PM

Thanks Rod!

I plan on hooking up a 60D to my SE... Do you think I will need an addition counter weight or will the 11 lbs be sufficient?

ddanley

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: ddanley]
      #6017992 - 08/10/13 05:18 PM

Anyone?

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#6018033 - 08/10/13 05:48 PM

Quote:

Anyone?

It may be. I can balance my DSLR with one weight with the Edge 800 on the VX mount. But I usually don't have the 50mm finder on the mount, preferring to use a Quickfinder.

SkipW
sage

Reged: 02/03/11

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
      #6018044 - 08/10/13 05:54 PM

I got a used 3.5# counterweight for an AT6RC on a CG-5 for use with a Canon 60DA in addition to the stock 11# c/w. The stock c/w was about 1 - 2" from the end of the shaft with a visual back (1" spacer ring, focuser, 2"diagonal, adapter, 1.25" EP). The 11# was almost, but not quite, heavy enough to balance with the 60Da (1" and 2" spacer rings, focuser, True-2 adapter, 60Da), if that gives you any help.

Different mount, different telescope, but if your 11# is already close to the end of the c/w shaft, you may need more. Try it and see if it will balance.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: SkipW]
      #6018054 - 08/10/13 06:04 PM

One saving grace is that the VX counterweight bar is longer than the one on the CG5.

mistyridge
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/28/05

Loc: Loomis, CA
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: rmollise]
      #6018181 - 08/10/13 08:00 PM

I replaced the stock saddle on my VX with a ADM wide saddle and found that the 11Lb weight was not enough for my 8" Edge which also has a wide Losmandy style saddle. A 6.5Lb vixen weight was perfect when added to the stock 11Lb. I can move the smaller weight up and down the CW shaft to adjust for different weigh EPs, Cameras etc.

SunBlack
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/05/11

Loc: Rome (IT)
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: SunBlack]
      #6018585 - 08/11/13 06:48 AM

UP....
Quote:

UP....
Quote:

UP.....
Quote:

Another quick question: i supposed to have read that Vixen GP polar scope is compatible with CG5 mounts (with VX then too), am i wrong?

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

#6018706 - 08/11/13 09:41 AM

I don't know.

Chris

Gary Minder

Reged: 06/23/13

#6018804 - 08/11/13 11:08 AM

Quote:

Thanks Rod!

I plan on hooking up a 60D to my SE... Do you think I will need an addition counter weight or will the 11 lbs be sufficient?

I have a C8 XLT on an AVX. With a 450D and an Orion 50mm guide scope/SSAG, my 11 lb counterweight was about an inch from the end of the bar to get balance. I just replaced the stock finder scope with a Celestron 50mm RACI and now the counterweight is at the very end. So I have another 11 lb weight coming.

So the short version is it depends on how much you add to the OTA besides the camera.

mark379
sage

Reged: 02/07/09

Loc: New Jersey
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Gary Minder]
      #6018816 - 08/11/13 11:15 AM

Has anyone tried a C11 for visual? Any more stable than a cg5?
I had a c11 CGEM a while back but with 2 flights of stairs it was a little difficult on my back...

mark379
sage

Reged: 02/07/09

Loc: New Jersey
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: mark379]
      #6018981 - 08/11/13 12:47 PM

BTW it was the cgem , not the c11 OTA which bothered my back...

ddanley

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Gary Minder]
      #6019366 - 08/11/13 05:07 PM

Awesome! Mount has been ordered... Thanks for the inputs!

Brachiopod

Reged: 08/12/13

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: KevinS]
      #6022438 - 08/13/13 08:48 AM

Quote:

I had a similar problem.
After experimenting, I believe it works like this...
The HC can be set to get time from it's config memory, a remote GPS, or the motor board (RTC). The default is for it to get it from the HC (config memory)
Since this is static information, you have to set it every time the unit is turned on.
The RTC still has a time of day when it was made/qc checked/initialized.
If the RTC battery were dead or not connected then you wouldn't see this time progress between power cycles. (Worth checking before opening the circuit cover.)
I found that you can set the RTC clock after you enable it in utilities then walk backwards through the menus until you get to the location/time setting. RTC does not get set in the default power up time setting. You have to back into it to set the RTC.
Again, this is what I derived from experimentation. Your results may vary.
Love this mount, hate the manual.

OK, your posting sounds very much like it is addressing the question I have about the time and date with my new VX, and a problem that I had on my second time out, but I don't fully understand it. On my VX, when I turn the hand controller on, it seems to sometimes return to the time that I had previously entered while aligning and I thought that was the way it worked; you had to enter the time each time like I did on my old Meade LX55, however this morning after a session last night where I reset, when I turned it on it has the correct time! Last night, my second time out, I had a problem aligning, the initial slew to Arcturus was WAY off in RA, like about 4 hours. Each time I turned the hand controller on it had the time that I had entered a few minutes ago when I previously tried to align, not the current time. I checked and double and triple checked the time, date, time zone, lat and lon under site settings and they were correct, messed with the clutches, confirmed visual on Polaris in the polar scope hole, tried it about 8 times with the same crazy way off initial slew. Then I did a factory reset and bingo, the initial slew during alignment was back to correct, plus, and this is the weird part, since then it seems to already have the current time when I turn the hand controller on? Obviously something crazy is going on that a reset helped, I just don't know what.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Brachiopod]
      #6023274 - 08/13/13 03:41 PM

The AVX has a real time clock that should be on. Maybe it had got turned off and the factory reset turned it on.

Chris

SunBlack
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: cn register 5]
      #6045339 - 08/25/13 02:44 PM

Ordered a VX + polar scope, it'd arrive to me next wednesday, i suppose.

SunBlack
scholastic sledgehammer

#6050212 - 08/28/13 08:25 AM Attachment (23 downloads)

Mount arrived. It starts up, a good news.

Some minor issue:
1) the tripod base and the head has very little play, even with tripod central bolt ultra tightened. Once, after many tries, i succeed to secure it, but dunno how. Any idea?
2) the power plug!!!!!!! It has a proprietary thread (see photo) so a DOY 2.1mm plug (i used it on my SW EQ5 goto kit and it's very loose and not threaded) i had doesnt work. How resolve? (i read at http://www.nexstarsite.com/OddsNEnds/PowerSources.htm but i do not understand much)
3) polar scope: the mount doesnt have any RA ring with hour indications, so how could i set it, according to HC Polaris Ha and Clock???? Dont suggest me ASPA, i would try with polar scope first.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: SunBlack]
      #6050273 - 08/28/13 09:08 AM

1. Have also tightened the knob at the end of the threaded rod up against the tripod spreader? That usually takes care of any problems.

2. Have you tried just plugging it in and not tightening the collar? I am skeptical as to the value of the threaded collar, anyway.

3. Can't help you with that. I'd as soon use the polar scope as fly to the moon.

SunBlack
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: rmollise]
      #6050279 - 08/28/13 09:12 AM

2. have not tried to not tightening the collar of supplied power cable, but how care? I mean, i would use a DOY plug which has not the threaded collar, and it doesnt work

bunyon
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: SunBlack]
      #6050370 - 08/28/13 10:08 AM

On the lack of any polar alignment scope scale, just use a program to figure out where polaris is relative to the pole and put it there. Gets it pretty close if the polar scope is aligned correctly. It's especially easy if polaris is directly above, below or left or right of the pole.

I was a long-time polar scope user and think all the people that don't like them are closed-minded sissies. However, ASPA rocks, so I've come around. Keep working with the polar scope but on a moonlit night, play around with ASPA.

Pages: << 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | >> (show all)

Extra information
18 registered and 45 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 79540

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics