Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | >> (show all)
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: mpgxsvcd]
      #5664944 - 02/06/13 10:34 AM

Quote:

I think it really affects the tracking when you get close to the limits of these lower end mounts with imaging scopes and equipment.

All I can say is I've never had a problem visually with a C11/binoviewer and all the fixins on the CG5 despite balancing in "casual" fashion.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
zawijava
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/06/07

Loc: Wells, Maine 04090
      #5664956 - 02/06/13 10:41 AM

seems like quite a few of these mounts are getting set up and used but very few pictures of users setups are getting posted

how 'bout some pics

mpgxsvcd
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/21/11

Loc: Raleigh, North Carolina
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: rmollise]
      #5664982 - 02/06/13 10:57 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I think it really affects the tracking when you get close to the limits of these lower end mounts with imaging scopes and equipment.

All I can say is I've never had a problem visually with a C11/binoviewer and all the fixins on the CG5 despite balancing in "casual" fashion.

Well. Like you said these things are only important for imaging. I am sure that most people buy this mount for observing. However, some of us also would like to see if when pushed to its limits it can do ok for imaging. It sure would be nice to use an $800 mount instead of a $1400+ mount for imaging. Even better if it can be done without guiding as well.

Ben B

Reged: 02/03/13

Loc: GA
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: zawijava]
      #5664992 - 02/06/13 11:01 AM

Quote:

seems like quite a few of these mounts are getting set up and used but very few pictures of users setups are getting posted

how 'bout some pics

I only remembered to take a couple of unboxing pictures last night - forgot to snap any things completely put together. Here you go - http://www.flickr.com/photos/benbrowning/sets/72157632704046692/

If you'd like to see pictures from a specific angle or a closeup of some specific part let me know and I'll be happy to snap some more.

zawijava
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 10/06/07

Loc: Wells, Maine 04090
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Ben B]
      #5665037 - 02/06/13 11:31 AM

thanks for those pics! I was hoping to see what people had for different OTA's on this mount. It's always easier to get a size perspective when you see familiar OTA's mounted. I'm sure pics will start to get posted sooner or later once the newness wears off. -Tim

mpgxsvcd
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: zawijava]
      #5665051 - 02/06/13 11:38 AM

I get severe rubbing on my CG-5 where the locking levers rub against the mount head. I have to take the locking lever off after I lock it down.

Does the VX have this issue? That will be a huge plus for the VX if it has fixed that issue. Anyone got a better solution for the CG-5?

TopherTheME
sage

Reged: 02/11/11

Loc: Rochester, MI
      #5665285 - 02/06/13 01:38 PM

Quote:

I get severe rubbing on my CG-5 where the locking levers rub against the mount head. I have to take the locking lever off after I lock it down.

You know you can just change the position of that lever to stop this from happening.

mpgxsvcd
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: TopherTheME]
      #5665334 - 02/06/13 01:59 PM

Quote:

Quote:

You know you can just change the position of that lever to stop this from happening.

On my mount it is the round part that is scraping on the head not the lever part. There appears to be nothing that I can do except for removing the lever all-together. Sorry I don't have a picture to show this right now. I will take one tonight though.

mpgxsvcd
Carpal Tunnel

#5665338 - 02/06/13 02:03 PM

Page 13(Fig 2-15)of the CG-5 manual clearly shows the rounded part of the lever touching the head. On mine it has worn a nice little groove in the mount and I suspect it is affecting my tracking.

The manual can be found here.

http://www.celestron.com/c3/images/files/downloads/1196122269_cg5mount9151791...

Edited by mpgxsvcd (02/06/13 02:04 PM)

morecoffee

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: USA
      #5665356 - 02/06/13 02:08 PM

Thanks for sharing Ben. No polar scope in your box correct?

Ben B

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: morecoffee]
      #5665389 - 02/06/13 02:25 PM

Quote:

Thanks for sharing Ben. No polar scope in your box correct?

Correct, there was no polar scope in the box. The mount looks designed to accept one with caps that come off both sides to allow you to look through the mount and line up Polaris. I don't anticipate ever needing a polar scope, but if you do then you'll have to pick one up separately.

Robo-bob
sage

Reged: 05/02/05

Loc: Central Alberta
      #5665433 - 02/06/13 02:47 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

On my mount it is the round part that is scraping on the head not the lever part. There appears to be nothing that I can do except for removing the lever all-together. Sorry I don't have a picture to show this right now. I will take one tonight though.

You can also pull the threaded rod out, carefully cut a little off, clean it up nice and put it back in. Worked for me and was an easy fix.

mpgxsvcd
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Robo-bob]
      #5665476 - 02/06/13 03:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You can also pull the threaded rod out, carefully cut a little off, clean it up nice and put it back in. Worked for me and was an easy fix.

Are we talking about the same component? I am talking about the black locking levers to lock the head. Are you talking about the silver locking levers to lock the mount during Polar alignment? Both have rubbing issues. The big difference is that the black head levers will always have an issue. The silver levers only have an issue in certain portions of the world.

The ones I am talking about are the only ones visible in diagram 2-15 on page 13 of the manual I linked to above.

Edited by mpgxsvcd (02/06/13 03:14 PM)

morecoffee

Reged: 02/06/13

Loc: USA
      #5665531 - 02/06/13 03:38 PM

Ben,
will you then polar align from the VX manual or do you prefer a Different method? Thanks.

Ben B

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: morecoffee]
      #5665548 - 02/06/13 03:45 PM

Quote:

Ben,
will you then polar align from the VX manual or do you prefer a Different method? Thanks.

Polaris is not readily visible from my observing location, so I just set the correct latitude and use a compass to orient the mount towards north. From there I plan to do the 2 star alignment procedure from the manual, add at least 3 calibration stars after that, then do the all-star polar alignment routine.

Last night I was only able to do the 2 star alignment plus one calibration star and got great results despite never seeing Polaris or using the all-star routine to fine-tune altitude and azimuth adjustments.

mpgxsvcd
Carpal Tunnel

#5665583 - 02/06/13 04:13 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Ben,

Polaris is not readily visible from my observing location, so I just set the correct latitude and use a compass to orient the mount towards north. From there I plan to do the 2 star alignment procedure from the manual, add at least 3 calibration stars after that, then do the all-star polar alignment routine.

Last night I was only able to do the 2 star alignment plus one calibration star and got great results despite never seeing Polaris or using the all-star routine to fine-tune altitude and azimuth adjustments.

Are you doing visual or imaging?

Ben B

#5665620 - 02/06/13 04:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Are you doing visual or imaging?

Well I've only used the mount once and it was very cloudy so mostly visual. I did take a 2 minute long video of Jupiter with 1400 frames through my Logitech Quickcam 4000 at prime focus (480mm) and only had 1-2 pixels of movement difference between the first and last frames.

If tonight will cooperate I'll try the video again with a 3x barlow for 1440mm focal length which will be closer to the average telescope's focal length.

I haven't decided between a used DSLR or entry level CCD like the Atik Titan so the webcam and a piggyback Sony RX100 point-and-shoot are all the imaging I can do for now.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

#5665645 - 02/06/13 04:52 PM Attachment (187 downloads)

It never occurred to me that people would be so interested in a load of cardboard boxes

Here's what I've managed to get it to do:
About 90 minutes of 5 minute exposures ATK383L+ Ha filter Oynx 80 EDF scope.

Chris

bilgebayModerator
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Turkiye - Istanbul and Marmari...
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: cn register 5]
      #5665684 - 02/06/13 05:17 PM

Chris, this is wonderful! Very promising. Is this with PEC + guiding or just the guiding ?

Robo-bob
sage

Reged: 05/02/05

Loc: Central Alberta
      #5665711 - 02/06/13 05:32 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Are we talking about the same component? I am talking about the black locking levers to lock the head. Are you talking about the silver locking levers to lock the mount during Polar alignment? Both have rubbing issues. The big difference is that the black head levers will always have an issue. The silver levers only have an issue in certain portions of the world.

The ones I am talking about are the only ones visible in diagram 2-15 on page 13 of the manual I linked to above.

My mistake, I thought you were referring to the silver elevation lock knobs.
Regarding the axis lock knobs, you could take the set screw out of the knob and just take the knob off the mount when you are done aligning. You would have to take care not to lose it , but it would buy you the extra room you need.

Pages: << 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | >> (show all)

Extra information
22 registered and 49 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 80167

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics