Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | >> (show all)
Carl N
sage

Reged: 03/18/12

Loc: San Diego, CA
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: dr.who]
      #5787790 - 04/09/13 10:42 AM

Amen

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
starbob1
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/11/07

Loc: IN
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: zawijava]
      #5788687 - 04/09/13 04:52 PM

Thanks Tim. Could someone post a pic of the top plate of the VX Tripod please. Seems Celestron would make pier plates for their mounts. I know many made after market pier adapters for the CGE AND CGEM. Thanks Bob

MartinTreadgold

Reged: 04/17/13

Loc: Netherlands
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: starbob1]
      #5804111 - 04/17/13 08:38 AM Attachment (138 downloads)

Here is the photo of the tripod, FYI, it is the same tripod as the NEQ6 mount, except it is black, whereas the NEQ6 tripod is white..

Actually, being the same stock design as the NEQ6 tripod is a good thing, celestron borrowed a design that works, (if it aint broke don't fix it etc)

The Polar Spike on the plate can be moved to the other screw hole on the plate, depending on your preference in which way you want the tripod legs in relation to the mount. A little tip is to have this spike over the north leg of the tripod (as shown in this photo), well this is my preference, so that the 2 other legs give me more leg room when sitting on a stool when looking through the scope.. Just means a tripod leg is not in the way when you do the polar alignment. FYI out of the box, the polar spike is screwed into the other hole by default (well it was, when i got it out of the box)

One thing it does lack is an in built bubble level.. but thats no real big issue, sometimes it's better to have a free standing (much better) bubble level from your local DIY hardware store and level up the top plate that way.

Edited by MartinTreadgold (04/17/13 08:57 AM)

MartinTreadgold

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: MartinTreadgold]
      #5804164 - 04/17/13 09:21 AM Attachment (129 downloads)

Some of you in the last few posts are asking about what sort of AUX ports for connecting to PC's and also how to connect a polar scope.. well here is a picture:

A and B: Unscrew A, and pull out the cap at B, you can then insert your polar scope at point A. Please note you will need to rotate the head of the mount to see through the hole

C: Auto-Guide port, Hand Control port, AUX1, AUX2

As you can see, I have the SkySync accessory attached

Edited by MartinTreadgold (04/17/13 09:25 AM)

EManT2200

Reged: 04/22/12

Loc: Maryland
      #5813815 - 04/21/13 06:46 PM

Seems like this thread is losing steam fast, sooooo, I should ask these questions while there is still time, lol. I read somewhere that a CG-5 polar scope will fit the VX, anyone know that for sure ? Has anyone used a C9.25 for astrophotography, if so, how did the VX perform. Lastly, I have read that the VX has stronger tracking drives that the CG-5, if this is so, why has the useful load dropped by 5 pounds, could it be that since Celestron is really pushing the VX as a mount for astrophotography that they are listing 30lbs as the max weight for astrophotography ? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys !

bunyon
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: EManT2200]
      #5814236 - 04/21/13 10:04 PM

EMan, the polar scope definitely fits. I pulled mine out of the CG5 and stuck it directly in the AVX.

Can't say on the rest.

MacDougal

Reged: 11/24/05

#5814808 - 04/22/13 08:19 AM Attachment (35 downloads)

If this is the same as the NEQ6 then I should be able to purchase a NEQ6 pier and it should work fine, correct?

MartinTreadgold

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: MacDougal]
      #5814991 - 04/22/13 10:49 AM

well as far as i can see, the tripod legs look the same as the NEQ6 tripod legs, only a different colour. I didn't get a first hand look at the top plate of the NEQ6 mount because my friend with the NEQ6 was already polar aligned, and i didnt want to ask him to dismantle his setup.. but from this image here from google, it looks like this:-
NEQ6 Tripod top plate

and the VX mount tripod top plate looks the same in the photo above in the previous post.. but in black.. and the stainless steel legs are the same

But anyway, i dont think celestron sell the VX mount tripod legs separately from the mount body itself, and why would you go to all that effort in buying the tripod legs separately... plus the NEQ6 tripod is white, whereas the VX mount body is black.. it will just look silly..

Edited by MartinTreadgold (04/22/13 10:53 AM)

Carl N
sage

#5815014 - 04/22/13 11:11 AM

That picture doesn't look the same to me, not familiar with NEQ6, but the holes for the polar alignment post appear in that pic closer to the center of the mount. Whereas the AVX, the post holes look more to be close to the edge of the outer circle.

If a pier adapter is available, I'd like to know also.

MartinTreadgold

Re: Celestron VX mount new [Re: Carl N]
      #5815053 - 04/22/13 11:40 AM

Quote:

That picture doesn't look the same to me, not familiar with NEQ6, but the holes for the polar alignment post appear in that pic closer to the center of the mount. Whereas the AVX, the post holes look more to be close to the edge of the outer circle.

Yeah you are right, but thats the only difference between the tripods. Theres 4 holes on the VX mount, but its the same shape and size of plate, just extra holes. I think you could stick an NEQ6 onto the VX tripod, but might not be so great the other way around..

Edited by MartinTreadgold (04/22/13 11:42 AM)

MacDougal

Reged: 11/24/05

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: MartinTreadgold]
      #5815504 - 04/22/13 03:03 PM Attachment (50 downloads)

I found this Skywatcher portable pier online and it looks like it might work. I have on order a VX mount hopefully will be here in the next week. I want to install it on a pier rather than use the tripod. I do not know the height or weight and I am waiting for a manual for the pier. I wanted something that could be moved if necessary and this sucker
has casters included and is adjustable. It looks very nice on the one of the websites I Googled. I have attached a picture.

Edited by MacDougal (04/22/13 03:35 PM)

SunBlack
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/05/11

Loc: Rome (IT)
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: MacDougal]
      #5815911 - 04/22/13 06:01 PM

It'd be nice if any owner could try some unguided pics with dslr and 200-300mm FL lens for testing tracking accurancy...

Carl N
sage

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: SunBlack]
      #5816424 - 04/22/13 09:44 PM

I can do that, but it won't be till next week, weather permitting. PM me any requests on specific parameters you're interested in beyond FL. I can mount my D7000 with a 200mm f2.8. I can add teleconverters, but I'm guessing FL isn't as important to you as not adding the extra glass elements.

SunBlack
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/05/11

Loc: Rome (IT)
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Carl N]
      #5816808 - 04/23/13 03:27 AM

@ Carl N: PM sent.

To all: the attachment of tripod to mount is EQ5/HEQ5/Vixen GP-GPD style?

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: MacDougal]
      #5817135 - 04/23/13 10:25 AM

Quote:

I found this Skywatcher portable pier online and it looks like it might work. I have on order a VX mount hopefully will be here in the next week. I want to install it on a pier rather than use the tripod. I do not know the height or weight and I am waiting for a manual for the pier. I wanted something that could be moved if necessary and this sucker
has casters included and is adjustable. It looks very nice on the one of the websites I Googled. I have attached a picture.

While it might work, it will not work out of the box. The position of the azimuth pin on the VX is different than that of the EQ6. You would have to drill and tap and new hole for the azimuth pin and the problem is that it is very close to the edge of the pier top. The pier's column might interfere with the new location.

186vett

Reged: 01/29/13

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: EFT]
      #5821101 - 04/24/13 11:43 PM

So, the Celestron polar scope #94224 is fine for the VX?
Thanks-Jerry

MartinTreadgold

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: 186vett]
      #5821287 - 04/25/13 03:52 AM

Here is an email from celestron support:-
Quote:

Hello Martin,
Thank you for contacting Celestron.

The polar finderscope 94224 is compatible with the AVX mount.

Best Regards
Wil
Celestron Technical Services

I asked them this because their website didn't list the AVX as compatible (not in the list yet):
Celestron Polar Finder CG-5 #94224

They seem to take a while to update their website with compatibility information. I think they could do a better job with information on their website.. dontyathink?

PaulN

Reged: 10/12/08

Loc: Massachusetts
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: ghataa]
      #5823840 - 04/26/13 09:10 AM

Will the VX mount be able to handle the weight of the Celestron classic 8? I have the older "push-to" type. I see that newer 8's are in the 10- 12 lbs range. I would like to transfer the 8 to the VX. Thanks for any info.

bunyon
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: PaulN]
      #5823942 - 04/26/13 09:54 AM

Paul, I'm off to a meeting but I have a vintage 1984 style C8 (SP-C8) on my VX and it works great.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: PaulN]
      #5823960 - 04/26/13 10:03 AM

Quote:

Will the VX mount be able to handle the weight of the Celestron classic 8? I have the older "push-to" type. I see that newer 8's are in the 10- 12 lbs range. I would like to transfer the 8 to the VX. Thanks for any info.

I assume that you are talking about the SCT. For visual it will probably be fine. Hard to say for AP at this point, but a focal reducer will help.

Pages: << 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | >> (show all)

Extra information
21 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 80160

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics