Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: << 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | >> (show all)
freestar8n
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/12/07

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Pak]
      #5657599 - 02/02/13 05:35 AM

Quote:

That is why I mentioned doing another 2+4 or even just a 2 star so it can re-model. Isn't that right?

If the ASPA goes well and you find the pointing is accurate, then you don't need to do anything after it finishes. But if you find the pointing is off, a 2-star alignment will probably do about as well as a 2+4 alignment - because the calibration is "fresh" and you have not restarted the mount. The 2-star won't change the calibration - it will just find the new, actual polar alignment of the mount after ASPA.

These are just things to try - if you need to - if your goto isn't accurate after ASPA. It never hurts to do a completely new 2+4, but if the mount hasn't been turned off after a recent 2+4, then a 2-star should be pretty good and is faster. But doing nothing after ASPA may be fine.

Frank

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: dr.who]
      #5657884 - 02/02/13 10:44 AM

My impression of the mount is that I LOVE IT!!! Even at 30lbs instruments it seemed very solid and smooth. The motors stayed strong and steady when slewing. Didn't feel like it even felt the weight. A Keeper for sure.

foste1cc

Reged: 01/06/13

Loc: Armada, MI
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: freestar8n]
      #5658641 - 02/02/13 06:09 PM

Hey everyone, I'm pretty new here and just getting into AP. This is going to be my first equatorial mount. I'm making my purchase tonight! I have an 8SE as my OTA and a Canon T2i as my camera. Although the celestron website says the weight for this scope is 24lbs, they must be including the mount weight too. I believe it's around 12lbs with the OTA by itself. So my question is if I'm going to need to buy an extra counterweight to add on to the bar with my OTA and camera. I'm going to be adding on the Orion autoguiding package as well when i get the money. So would the stock weight be OK for this setup? or will i need to order an extra weight? i'd like to order it all at once, because i'm going to be way too excited to try it out and would hate to have to wait for the counterweight to come in before i could try it all out properly. Thanks in advanced guys!

-Carl

PS - this site is crazy addicting!! I'm getting half the sleep i used to get ever since i became a member a few weeks ago!

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: foste1cc]
      #5658703 - 02/02/13 06:33 PM

Quote:

Hey everyone, I'm pretty new here and just getting into AP. This is going to be my first equatorial mount. I'm making my purchase tonight! I have an 8SE as my OTA and a Canon T2i as my camera. Although the celestron website says the weight for this scope is 24lbs, they must be including the mount weight too. I believe it's around 12lbs with the OTA by itself. So my question is if I'm going to need to buy an extra counterweight to add on to the bar with my OTA and camera. I'm going to be adding on the Orion autoguiding package as well when i get the money. So would the stock weight be OK for this setup? or will i need to order an extra weight? i'd like to order it all at once, because i'm going to be way too excited to try it out and would hate to have to wait for the counterweight to come in before i could try it all out properly. Thanks in advanced guys!

-Carl

PS - this site is crazy addicting!! I'm getting half the sleep i used to get ever since i became a member a few weeks ago!

I'm pretty sure that you will need another counterwieght for your setup. In addition, purchase a focal reducer for your C8. If you try to start out a the native focal length and are just starting out, you will probably find it extremely difficult. In reality, if you are just starting out in AP, I would never recommend starting with and SCT. You would do yourself a favor by beginning imaging with a short refractor. You can mount that on top of the SCT and use the SCT for guiding to start with and then switch around to imaging with the SCT and focal reducer once you get the hang of it. Also, do not plan on any unguided AP with the SCT as you will be wasting your time.

Hard not to get excited, but take your time working your way into AP and you will likely find it a much more enjoyable experience.

dr.who
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 01/05/12

#5658707 - 02/02/13 06:36 PM

Hi Carl,

The stock weight will not cut it. That 8SE weighs about 14 lbs by itself with everything on it so you will want at least another 7 lbs of weight on there based on my experience with the 8" on the mount. Were I you I would by a second 11lbs weight just to be safe.

As to AP... This is a good mount for it and the 8SE will do a fair job at AP with a focal reducer on it but be sure to get the FR for it. The two most important things are be patient and take the time to learn both the mount and how to polar align it. Without both AP is going to be very frustrating for you. After you do that then post processing comes into play and the same rules apply.

foste1cc

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: dr.who]
      #5658723 - 02/02/13 06:48 PM

Thanks for the input guys! I should of mentioned, I already purchased a focal reducer for the OTA

foste1cc

#5658764 - 02/02/13 07:27 PM

I'm not sure if this has already been covered or not on this thread, but does the VX counterweight bar take weights from the CG-5 or the CGEM? just don't want to order the wrong weights..

EFT

#5658770 - 02/02/13 07:33 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure if this has already been covered or not on this thread, but does the VX counterweight bar take weights from the CG-5 or the CGEM? just don't want to order the wrong weights..

It should take either.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: EFT]
      #5658782 - 02/02/13 07:40 PM

CG5 weights definitely fit, I've tried them.

Chris

foste1cc

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: cn register 5]
      #5658802 - 02/02/13 07:48 PM

Thanks chris! I'm very excited to get it all and set it up!

DXVictor

Reged: 02/01/10

Loc: Clark, CO
      #5659031 - 02/02/13 10:28 PM

This is my story. In October of 2011 Meade announced the LX-80. It looked great and I ordered one. I then waited over a year and finally canceled the order and bought a CGEM. The CGEM is an outstanding mount. Unfortunately I have a back problem and the CGEM was just to heavy for me. I was expecting Celestron to replace the CG-5/AS, but who knew when it would actually happen. When I saw the first ad I immediately went to astronomics.com and was shocked, I mean SHOCKED to find they were in stock. I placed my order. Three days later FedEx brought it to me. I set it up and wow, it looks great. I mounted my favorite C8 (vintage 1992) and ran the motors a little. Much quieter than the CG-5. Design-wise I love the layout. It looks and sounds solid. I'm looking forward to a clear night with reasonable temps. It will be exciting to see how it performs. Right now, a big smile crosses my face when I walk past the patio door and see it. It really is a cool looking mount. Thanks Celestron. You were reading my mind when you designed the VX.

Doug
Clark, CO (2510 meters ASL in the northwestern Rockies)

EFT

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: DXVictor]
      #5659083 - 02/02/13 11:02 PM

Quote:

This is my story. In October of 2011 Meade announced the LX-80. It looked great and I ordered one. I then waited over a year and finally canceled the order and bought a CGEM. The CGEM is an outstanding mount. Unfortunately I have a back problem and the CGEM was just to heavy for me. I was expecting Celestron to replace the CG-5/AS, but who knew when it would actually happen. When I saw the first ad I immediately went to astronomics.com and was shocked, I mean SHOCKED to find they were in stock. I placed my order. Three days later FedEx brought it to me. I set it up and wow, it looks great. I mounted my favorite C8 (vintage 1992) and ran the motors a little. Much quieter than the CG-5. Design-wise I love the layout. It looks and sounds solid. I'm looking forward to a clear night with reasonable temps. It will be exciting to see how it performs. Right now, a big smile crosses my face when I walk past the patio door and see it. It really is a cool looking mount. Thanks Celestron. You were reading my mind when you designed the VX.

Doug
Clark, CO (2510 meters ASL in the northwestern Rockies)

It's a hard marketing decision with a 3 month lead time on placing ads in the big magazines, but Celestron made a smart choice in not jumping the gun on advertizing this mount well ahead of release. Meade could take a lesson on this.

hectar

Reged: 12/24/12

Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #5659121 - 02/02/13 11:31 PM

I am thinking of getting an AVX soon for AP (80mmED APO). Any thoughts or experiences with following:

a. Accuracy, Un-guided?
b. How smooth the DEC axis is when autoguiding?
c. Is gear/worm backlash adjustable ? (see the picture from the link, http://imgur.com/a/Us1aA/noscript , It does looks like it is. Worm is not visible though)
d. How accurate is GOTO? Stays dead on for few hours??

Anymore AP done by those who already own it. If you guys could post some images with details, it would be great. Thank you.

EFT

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: hectar]
      #5659156 - 02/03/13 12:00 AM

Quote:

I am thinking of getting an AVX soon for AP (80mmED APO). Any thoughts or experiences with following:

a. Accuracy, Un-guided?
c. Is gear/worm backlash adjustable ? (see the picture from the link, http://imgur.com/a/Us1aA/noscript , It does looks like it is. Worm is not visible though)
e. How accurate is GOTO? Stays dead on for few hours??

Anymore AP done by those who already own it. If you guys could post some images with details, it would be great. Thank you.

A. Who cares? Really, why bother with unguided, especially on a lower-end mount?
B. We'll have to see on this one.
C. I'm sure that it is adjustable, but it has to be by the same method as the CG-5, i.e. two bolts and a set screw beneath the worm or something similar. This design type doesn't allow for anything else.
D. Goto and "staying dead on for a few hours" are two different things. The second is tracking. That will generally be dependant on polar alignment. I would expect the goto to be quite good as the Celestron mount usually are. If you mean "will the gotos be spot on at 9:00PM and still spot on at 4:00AM, the need for a recalibration sometime during a long night would not be surprising, but this is also somewhat polar alignment related.

hectar

#5659185 - 02/03/13 12:23 AM

Well, unguided accuracy (kinda) tells you how well they are made...

Mike X.
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/28/10

Loc: Greece-Athens and Rome-Italy
      #5659303 - 02/03/13 02:24 AM

I guess they should be at the same level of quality any other Synta mount is.Which means pretty variable..not bad but,,,pretty random in terms of how well is made.It is always a mass produced mount after all.;)

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: Mike X.]
      #5659392 - 02/03/13 06:12 AM

My measurements are that the PEC is just over 30" PP and that applying PEC gets the unguided accuracy to about 2.5" RMS.
Guided accuracy seems to be slightly less than 1" RMS in both Ra and Dec. The 8/3 error and Dec stiction are gone.
Dec guiding seems smooth.
I've no idea if the gear backlash is adjustable, I can't feel any between the worm and wheel but there is some, maybe just in the gearbox.
Goto and polar aligning are good, I measured goto errors of 0 to 3 arc mins.

I'm using two 80mm scopes side by side on a heavy home made SBS mount. It's about 18 pounds with everything attached.

Chris

hectar

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: cn register 5]
      #5659513 - 02/03/13 08:37 AM

Thanks. which cameras would be best suited as dedicated autoguiders to AVX

Celestron NexGuide Autoguider (CEL-937133)
Orion StarShoot 3MP Planetary Imager & AutoGuider (ORI-52094)
Orion Magnificent Mini
QHYCCD QHY5-II
Anymore autoguiders?

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5659618 - 02/03/13 09:45 AM

Quote:

a. Accuracy, Un-guided?
d. How accurate is GOTO? Stays dead on for few hours??

A. I can get 30-seconds at relatively short focal lengths--600 - 700mm or so--with my CG5 and I would expect the VX to be just as good. I had a lot of fun doing CCD snapshots from stacked 30-second subs with my old Meade DSI, but guiding is oh-so-much better.

B. Again, referring to the CG5, the dec axis was quite smooth. The problem was backlash. However, PHD Guiding was able to deal with it. I could do 10-minute subs without much heartache.

C. To some extent I reckon. But basically if you need better, get a better mount.

D. Bang on. As good or better than my NexStar 11 GPS. By "stays" do you mean go-to accuracy doesn't degrade as the evening wears on, or are you talking about tracking? Go-to has never degraded over the course of the night.

Again, all this is the CG5, but the VX will be similar, if slightly better.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5659621 - 02/03/13 09:46 AM

Quote:

Thanks. which cameras would be best suited as dedicated autoguiders to AVX

Celestron NexGuide Autoguider (CEL-937133)
Orion StarShoot 3MP Planetary Imager & AutoGuider (ORI-52094)
Orion Magnificent Mini
QHYCCD QHY5-II
Anymore autoguiders?

I have used the Orion "Mini" combo of finder-guidescope and their StarShoot guider with great success.

Pages: << 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | >> (show all)

Extra information
25 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 80003

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics