Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)
orlyandico
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/09

Loc: Singapore
Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: dr.who]
      #5643661 - 01/26/13 12:54 AM

I have no experience with the AVX. My acquiantance is not an experienced imager either (neither am I). I think someone who is experienced with the mount, knows its issues and how to get around them, would get better performance.

I did use an Orion 100ED f/9 on a Vixen GP. That was not a suitable setup.

Here's another. I've revisited my CGEM and have been trying to make it work more precisely. One of the things I did was loosen the worm mesh. This improved the PE slightly and made the mount a lot quieter. But, it also increased the backlash in both axes.

I noticed last night that the wind can cause the scope to move back and forth due to the not-to-tight worm mesh. If you tighten the worm though you will get increased PE, noise, and might burn out your motors or motor board. This was a CGEM with an AT90EDT (which admittedly is heavy, but not as heavy as an ES127).

For these reasons... I would not try imaging with the ES127 on the AVX. I think it's more of a CGEM class tube, and even there would not be trouble-free. I actually think the C8 with a reducer would be a better bet. With the Starizona reducer you're at 1500mm which is a bit more than the ES. But a much shorter tube.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
orlyandico
Post Laureate

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: orlyandico]
      #5643664 - 01/26/13 12:57 AM

All for imaging of course. I think for visual the ES127 would be OK-ish (if the AVX is anything like the Vixen GP, I didn't really enjoy the Orion 100ED on the GP even for visual).

p.s. folks on here might be thinking I'm excessively conservative about mount capacity. But I know people imaging with FSQ-106's and AP130EDF GT's on G11s, Mach1s, and PMXs. That is massive mount overkill by the conventional wisdom, but it pays off in zero subs thrown away and very good tracking even over very long exposures. Much less hair loss all around

dr.who
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/05/12

#5643689 - 01/26/13 01:29 AM

Cheers Orly, And thank you again.

For what it's worth I use the 127 on the CG5 with ZERO problems for visual and this new mount seems in my limited use of it to be at the mid point between the CGEM and CG5. It glides on the CG5 with no strain at all.

I finally gave up on my CGEM because at the end of the day it was just too darn heavy and too many trips to get setup for the majority of the times I had time to image since said time was very limited and I didn't want to spend it setting up and tearing down. With this mount and the CG5 I can carry the entire primary setup out in one trip with only a follow on or two for misc. gear

I knew going in that I was facing a trade off by giving up on the CGEM but I don't think it was a bad choice. I gave the 80mm a try but like I said in my mind it was going to end up being ultimately too wide for what I wanted to shoot. There are only so many times you can take a photo of Orion or M31.

Ideally I would like a 700 FL 102mm APO like the one I sold (STUPID STUPID ME!) and then the SCT with the reducer at 1500 (by the way the one from Starizona won't work it's for standard C8's not the Edge) and ultimately the SCT at f/10 2032 for truly deep shots but there are no 102's out there in the price range I can afford at f/7 and there won't be for at least a couple of months.

So I was hoping to see if I could get the 127mm (also a great FL at 900ish) to fly on this mount...

Oh and I am not worried about having to toss some subs if I have to.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/26/12

#5643818 - 01/26/13 05:27 AM

I'm thinking of getting a 6" GSO RC for my AVX. It's a bit bigger than the 80mm and is at a price I can afford, even if I have to get a focal reducer - although will probably try a SCT FR and see how it goes.

The RC, with an Atik camera, filter wheel, and ST80 with another Atik camera as a guide scope, and mounting rings should give it a bit of a work out.

Chris

Chris

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
      #5644346 - 01/26/13 12:49 PM

Quote:

For what it's worth I use the 127 on the CG5 with ZERO problems for visual ......

I use an ES127ED on the CG-5 and have had three rather minor issues:

At times the diagonal hits the tripod legs when the scope points too close to the zenith, and this sometimes happens unfortunately during moving to find the set-up stars. A friend with the same rig solved the problem with a pier extender from Orion, but that adds more weight (and cost).

The mount often stops during a slew…. waits up to 10 seconds, and then continues on to its final position. It sometimes does this *twice* before getting to the right spot. It never does this with less weight.

There is a little more shake during focus than I’d like, even with vibration pads under it.

On the other hand, I have successfully done deep sky imaging by limiting my exposures to 30 seconds (no guiding). I find that using a lit crosshair eyepiece to center stars during set-up and polar alignment improves slewing and tracking accuracy.

Of course putting the ES127 on my Mountain Instruments MI-250 is an entirely different world, but that can mean taking that beast to star parties, when I’m already dealing with a 20-inch Dob and the refractor is “just my secondary scope”.

dr.who
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: George N]
      #5644395 - 01/26/13 01:21 PM

Quote:

Quote:

For what it's worth I use the 127 on the CG5 with ZERO problems for visual ......

I use an ES127ED on the CG-5 and have had three rather minor issues:

At times the diagonal hits the tripod legs when the scope points too close to the zenith, and this sometimes happens unfortunately during moving to find the set-up stars. A friend with the same rig solved the problem with a pier extender from Orion, but that adds more weight (and cost).

I apologize George I should have also put in that I have it on the pier as well. It does add weight to the tripod but not the mount and really not that much and the cost was about $80 if I remember right. I had the same problem as well as needing to almost lay down when things were at zenith.

Quote:

The mount often stops during a slew…. waits up to 10 seconds, and then continues on to its final position. It sometimes does this *twice* before getting to the right spot. It never does this with less weight.

Now that is interesting! And sounds like a possible problem with the mount... I have never seen this happen even with my all up 34 lbs Celestron C11 on it...

Quote:

There is a little more shake during focus than I’d like, even with vibration pads under it.

Oh. That would be a problem. I was hoping the pads would take care of that. Thank you.

And thank you for the post.

landshark99

Reged: 12/16/12

#5645235 - 01/26/13 10:42 PM

Which Orion pier the skyview pro or atlas and does it need to be modified to use with the VX

Edited by landshark99 (01/26/13 11:31 PM)

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: landshark99]
      #5645272 - 01/26/13 11:18 PM

well of course with 30 second subs a lot can be forgiven

dr.who
professor emeritus

#5645282 - 01/26/13 11:23 PM

Skyview pro is what I use and it will not work with the VX. The base on the mount is now different on the VX than the CG5 with the base being wider which in theory means more stability.

Orly- Sure . But I am aiming for 5 minute subs or greater as I plan to do narrow band...

landshark99

Reged: 12/16/12

#5645289 - 01/26/13 11:36 PM

Thanks,so at this point there does not seem to be a pier option for the VX

dr.who
professor emeritus

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: landshark99]
      #5645362 - 01/27/13 01:34 AM

Unfortunately no mate. Unless you want to have one fabricated you are going to be out of luck. I am thinking about it but not too much at this point because I still have my CG5 so there isn't much point to it.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

#5645483 - 01/27/13 04:58 AM Attachment (204 downloads)

I've done three minute exposures with the AVX with no problems. I can see no reason why it could not do 5 minutes or more.

I've attached an image, this was about an hour of 3 minute exposures. I've had to crop it to get it below the CN size limits. I'm not a good astrophotographer (as this shows), it was stacked using deep sky stacker and some light curves applied, that's it.

Chris

orlyandico
Post Laureate

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: cn register 5]
      #5645495 - 01/27/13 05:14 AM

Chris, what scope? if it's a C8 or similar that's fine, that scope has a much shorter moment arm than the ES127.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

#5645504 - 01/27/13 05:27 AM

Oynx 80EDF and a ST80 mounted side by side on a massive Al plate. It's reasonable heavy, especially once two ccd cameras are added.

Chris

orlyandico
Post Laureate

#5645527 - 01/27/13 06:29 AM

ahhh... there's the thing. an ED80 is quite in a different class from an ES127... although its an SBS with a heavy plate, the moment is still fairly concentrated near the scope axes.

not like the ES127 which is a triplet ( = heavy cell ) at the end of a 1-meter long tube.

cn register 5
scholastic sledgehammer

#5645617 - 01/27/13 08:42 AM

Just send me the ES127 and I'll try it and let you know

Chris

orlyandico
Post Laureate

#5645831 - 01/27/13 11:07 AM

it's not mine

dr.who
professor emeritus

#5645842 - 01/27/13 11:15 AM

Sure Chris. No problem! Right after you send over $1,600 US... Seriously thank you though for the image. I am not so much worried now about the weight it is sounding more like it's going to be a problem with vibration than weight due to size of tube. Looks like the only way to find out is to just bloody well man up and try it!

bunyon
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
      #5646539 - 01/27/13 05:51 PM

The image is nice. The main question I have is whether or not the declination axis on the vx has less (or no) stiction/backlash trouble relative to the cg5. Those of you with the mount, can you comment on that?

tiptip

Reged: 01/22/13

Re: Celestron VX mount [Re: bunyon]
      #5647257 - 01/28/13 12:34 AM

For anyone looking to buy the advanced VX mount, check this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T03G0DZMJ9E

We need more reviews and videos about it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)

Extra information
15 registered and 39 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 71962

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics