Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Astrophotography and Sketching >> Solar System Imaging & Processing

Pages: 1
lcd1080
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/03/10

Loc: Maryland, USA
Can 87% humidity and 33F stop a CCD camera?
      #5613551 - 01/09/13 11:39 AM

My CCD camera stopped working just before I started to image on Sunday evening (Jan 6); the image of Jupiter froze on the screen after about two minutes the first time I tried and after only a few seconds upon subsequent reconnections :-(

I looked at the specs and saw that the maximum working relative humidity is 80% with a minumum working temp of 25 degrees F. The humidity was about 87% and the temp was 33 degrees F when all this happened. Has anyone ever experienced something similar? I'm debating whether to buy a new camera or wait for less challenging weather conditions. The camera is 17 months old and I've used it quite a bit.

Thanks,
Pete

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
DesertRat
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/18/06

Loc: Valley of the Sun
Re: Can 87% humidity and 33F stop a CCD camera? new [Re: lcd1080]
      #5613972 - 01/09/13 04:00 PM

Those conditions alone I don't think would hurt the camera. After being on a while it should be warm enough to fight off cold much more severe. Have you tried it indoors since that night? My first thought would be an intermittent cable problem.

Glenn

Kokatha man
Postmaster

Reged: 09/13/09

Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...
Re: Can 87% humidity and 33F stop a CCD camera? new [Re: DesertRat]
      #5614232 - 01/09/13 06:28 PM

Echo Glenn on this Pete - even here in Oz I've worked at 20F a couple of times without any issues using the Flea3.....simple things - but is there power to the camera (is that pale green light at the back on?) and check all cabling as Glenn inferred.

The only problem I had with my Flea3 in close to 3 years was during my frst visit to Tennant Creek recently where it went ballistic and all the avi's had displaced top & bottom halves to Jupiter (a sort of bizarre "tearing") but it was only a temporary pecadillo which, when I tested the camera again the next day indoors had rectified itself.....course, I ain't used it much since then but I found the Flea3 to be a particularly reliable unit in general.

ToxMan
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/23/11

Loc: Tucson, Arizona, USA
Re: Can 87% humidity and 33F stop a CCD camera? new [Re: Kokatha man]
      #5614386 - 01/09/13 07:48 PM

25 degrees...I'd stop working if my camera didn't...sorry, Pete.

lcd1080
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/03/10

Loc: Maryland, USA
Re: Can 87% humidity and 33F stop a CCD camera? new [Re: Kokatha man]
      #5614401 - 01/09/13 07:54 PM

Glenn I did try the camera indoors both before I went out that night and just now. In both instances I maintained a good connection for an extended period of time using the same USB cable. The only other thing I can think of is that the USB hub I use to supply power to the camera from my laptop couldn't deliver enough power to both the camera and the other devices I had connected.

Darryl my camera doesn't have a light to indicate that it is receiving sufficient power. I've read about people successfully using CCD cameras down to 5 degrees F; I thought that perhaps the combination of low temperatures and very high humidity might have been a problem but now I'm thinking that the USB hub couldn't deliver sufficient power to operate both the camera and the other attached devices.

Paul once I get started I find it hard to stop regardless of how cold it gets so long as I retain manual dexterity. But you've got a good point!

Thanks guys!

Pete

Edited by lcd1080 (01/09/13 08:29 PM)

Kokatha man
Postmaster

Reged: 09/13/09

Loc: "cooker-ta man" downunda...
      #5614496 - 01/09/13 09:00 PM

Sorry Pete - for some reason I must've thought you were using a Flea3 (icx618)

DesertRat
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/18/06

Loc: Valley of the Sun
      #5614545 - 01/09/13 09:33 PM

Good observation Pete. I've seen these hub problems with multiple devices myself. Finally I tossed the hub I had been using and got this:
Metal 7-port USB2 Powered Hub

Others are probably just as good or better but this unit solved my problems fwiw.

Glenn

Pages: 1

Extra information
10 registered and 17 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Starman81, bilgebay, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 467

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics