Telescope Specific Forums >> Celestron NexStar

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

Re: Astronomy Software new [Re: pjglad]
      #5613263 - 01/09/13 08:16 AM

Quote:

I cannot find the AstroPlanner DSO catalog in the AstroPlanner Catalogue Manager?

I see it listed on the website in the list of available catalogues but Im not sure why its not in the AP Catalogue manager.... Tony

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: Astronomy Software new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #5613386 - 01/09/13 09:28 AM

Interesting. When I posted above, I was looking at a computer with an older release of Astroplanner. On the computer I'm using now, I have a newer release and I don't see that catalog either.

I wonder if it's been removed because it's redundant? I think originally it was a selection of objects from other catalogs rolled in just one so that if you wanted to minimize local storage of catalogs but still have access to the most popular targets, you could just use the one catalog. But maybe Paul (the author) decided it was no longer needed.

-Dan

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Astronomy Software [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5613715 - 01/09/13 01:15 PM

Dan - you could be right in that it was redundant. Especially with all the available catalogues! This looks like it will be a useful planning program. Tony

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5617423 - 01/11/13 03:03 PM

Quote:

Hi Peter - I went to the SkySafari website and did a little reading. I could be wrong but I didn't see a version for a Windows based PC / laptop or Nook Tablet. It looks like I could download to my android smartphone but I'd have a hard time using it on the phone without my reading glasses! sounds like it works well for you. Thanks for the info... Tony

Greetings Tony, I've found SKYSAFARI both plus and pro are phenomenal
Resources. The catch is so I've found, that while the touch screen on apple products , iPod, iPhone (even from years ago) is far and away better than the lousy performance of androids touch screen technology. Oh man I've tapped on so many stars and objects and at least half the time or more, the android doesn't respond. The apple product immediately highlights it even if its a mag 17 star.

I will never ever ever own another android again.

Never.

Pete

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Astronomy Software new [Re: azure1961p]
      #5617545 - 01/11/13 04:20 PM

Unfortunately I don't have any apple products and probably will not in the foreseeable future since they are not available with my service provider. My daughter just moved to the newest iPhone and she said she'd never use an android again too! I'm old school and only recently got a smart phone I have and use the old TI SR10 I had from HS and a couple of old HP RPN calculators from the 80's. I even still have my Picket slide rule. Those were the days, g... Tony

Edited by CelestronDaddy (01/11/13 04:57 PM)

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5617889 - 01/11/13 07:52 PM

Yeah I didn't ever catch on to the cell phone craze like a many did. I used t see a e folks buzz g up everyone they knew on their new cell to he point I felt bad for the folks he kept bugging - oh but to speak on a cell phone.

I never ever saw the seduction in it. Finally finally I got one and I still didn't care. Ok so I could talk to someone in the middle of no where. Nothing more to say than when I was somewhere.

And so I cycled thru phones particularly the garbage ones. Then one day I got an iPhone (which I hated even the name of) and when I saw it had the capability of something like a tiny laptop with the greatest USEFUL apps - I was sold.

That it runs star atlases, satellite programs, moon atlas, mars atlas, doublestar app to say nothing of the brilliant sailing apps (my other passion) and shoots unbelievably sharp hi def vid plays thousands of songs...

Well I love it becaus its not a phone lol, but an entertainment educational system.

Bravo on the old slide rule!

Pete

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1706

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics