Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1
Centaur
Vendor

Reged: 07/12/04

Loc: Chicago
Apophis less than 0.1 AU from Earth on January 9 new
      #5613888 - 01/09/13 03:04 PM

Today Asteroid 99942 Apophis made its closest approach to Earth for its current apparition at less than 0.1 AU. There remains a very remote possibility it could collide with Earth in 2036.

Also today the European Space Agency announced that data from its infrared space telescope indicates that the diameter of Apophis is closer to 325 meters rather than the previous estimate of 270 meters.

Meanwhile, Iíve improved my related graphics for this asteroid and other minor bodies to make it clearer when they are north or south of the ecliptic plane: www.CurtRenz.com/asteroids and www.CurtRenz.com/comets

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Apophis less than 0.1 AU from Earth on January 9 new [Re: Centaur]
      #5614178 - 01/09/13 06:01 PM

Curt,
I seem to recall reading that Apophis would have to pass through a very small window of space during its current approach in order to either hit or miss (I can't remember which) Earth in 2036.
Do you know if it actually passed through this window, and what the subsequent outlook is for 2036?

Centaur
Vendor

Reged: 07/12/04

Loc: Chicago
Re: Apophis less than 0.1 AU from Earth on January 9 [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5614192 - 01/09/13 06:11 PM

Quote:

Curt,
I seem to recall reading that Apophis would have to pass through a very small window of space during its current approach in order to either hit or miss (I can't remember which) Earth in 2036.
Do you know if it actually passed through this window, and what the subsequent outlook is for 2036?

Rick, it won't pass through the window until 2029. That's when we'll get a better estimate for its path in 2036. During April of both 2029 and 2036 both the Earth and Apophis will be near the orbital crossing near the asteroid's ascending node that you see on my overhead chart. It's distance today of 0.1 AU would not cause a significantly large disturbance in its trajectory.

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, dr.who 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 417

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics