Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: Christmas present to myself [Re: mclewis1]
      #5614295 - 01/09/13 07:00 PM

Quote:

The downside to this idea might be the need to put a proper railing around the edge of the raised platform (which of course wouldn't be necessary with the POD in place).

According to the code, Pod or no Pod, if the deck is more than 30" high it needs a railing. I plan to make it slightly less so I don't have to deal with the extra effort and expense.

Quote:

Otherwise I'd go for site C ... and buy a 4 wheel all terrain vehicle so I did not have to walk.. Power can be had by hauling an extra 12 V battery out with you...

Gave that some thought, but I'd need two vehicles ... a 4 wheeler in the summer and a snowmobile in the winter ... along with all the associated vehicle maintenance, storage, cost, etc. The 12V power could work and in fact I was thinking of a solar charger, but I want to put in a minimal climate control system to handle dew and excessive heat, which would take continuous power and the 12V/solar solution couldn't provide enough. And there's still the issue of vandalism. We had a brand new $600 4-person paddle boat for the pond walk away when we weren't looking. Would have taken 4 people to carry any distance! The area is open to people walking through from adjoining lands, but completely blocked from the view of the road or house so it feels quite isolated when you're back there, and quite "safe" for vandals.

But I gotta tell ya, when I'm back there I keep thinking, Damn! I wish there was some practical way I could have an observatory here!

-Dan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Peter9
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/30/08

Loc: Yorkshire - Born & Bred
Re: Christmas present to myself new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5615112 - 01/10/13 09:28 AM

Hi Dan,

Not knowing how things work re inspectors etc, I think it would be foolish of me to try and advise you on the matter. Your U.S buddies, some of who have had similar problems, seem to think your on the right track anyway.

So I hope that when things start to happen, it all falls into line in your favour, and that you can enjoy trouble free observing from your new POD.

Regards. Peter.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Brian Risley, panhard, mayidunk 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2097

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics