Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> General Observing and Astronomy

Pages: 1
tnakazon
sage

Reged: 06/26/10

Loc: Los Angeles
Astronomy equipment in the Republic of Ireland new
      #5611149 - 01/07/13 11:23 PM Attachment (25 downloads)

Just came back from an 11-day vacation in Ireland (Dublin). Celestron is the only brand of scope available in retail outlets, unlike the UK (main brand is SkyWatcher).

At Astronomy Ireland, the main astronomy showroom in the country (located in Swords, on the outskirts of Dublin), only Celestron scopes and accessories are on display.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Astronomy equipment in the Republic of Ireland new [Re: tnakazon]
      #5611166 - 01/07/13 11:35 PM

That's interesting! Quite an attractive building!

tnakazon
sage

Re: Astronomy equipment in the Republic of Ireland new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5611723 - 01/08/13 10:55 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

Astronomy Ireland is located in an industrial park in the town of Swords, some 13 km. north of Dublin city center. Spent almost half a day looking for it.

In Dublin itself, the only store selling scopes is Camera Centre, on Grafton St. in the center of town. Mainly Celestron Astromasters, plus a 150 XLT Omni Newtonian and 76mm FirstScopes.

I missed stargazing during my time in Dublin, so I would come into this store if I was nearby just to gaze at their Astromasters. Also, my new Astromaster 130EQ arrived a day before I left for Ireland which I hadn't opened yet, so I would go in to get a closer look at this scope, along with the smaller Astromaster 76EQ, which I was pleased to find had a collimatable primary mirror.

TheMadHatter

Reged: 01/04/13

Loc: eastern iowa, USA
      #5611930 - 01/08/13 01:14 PM

Quite interesting topic, i use to live in ireland and still have family their. My brother told me the fishing shop sell telescopes in the town, this is like an outdoors type shop that also sells guns and such the telescopes i guess are quite expensive and large. Its a much smaller town called gorey.

The views of the night sky are amazing their as i remember!

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
      #5612084 - 01/08/13 02:38 PM

I hope in your tour of Ireland you had a chance to visit Birr Castle to see "the Leviathan of Parsonstown" (the great 72 inch telescope). Up until the 100 inch at Mt. Wilson was completed, it held the title of largest telescope in the world, and was where the 3rd Earl of Rosse discovered the spiral structure of M51. Clear skies to you.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5612208 - 01/08/13 03:52 PM

I spent 12 days in Ireland, on a tour with several San Antonio friends. We never got in any viewing. But, I do have a certificate from the Jameson distillery stating that I am an official whiskey taster. Six shots of Jameson down the hatch in less than two minutes. When we left the distillery, I told my wife not to let me sit or lay down because I would never get up again.

tnakazon
sage

Re: Astronomy equipment in the Republic of Ireland new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5613472 - 01/09/13 10:39 AM Attachment (8 downloads)

Quote:

I hope in your tour of Ireland you had a chance to visit Birr Castle to see "the Leviathan of Parsonstown" (the great 72 inch telescope). Up until the 100 inch at Mt. Wilson was completed, it held the title of largest telescope in the world, and was where the 3rd Earl of Rosse discovered the spiral structure of M51. Clear skies to you.

David,

My original plan was to see as many astronomically-related historical sights in the country, including the Leviathan in Birr, Armagh Observatory in Northern Ireland, the prehistoric monument in Newgrange, among others. But I ended up staying the entire time in Dublin and never ventured out, except for the Astronomy Ireland showroom in Swords.

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
      #5613499 - 01/09/13 10:59 AM

Now thats cruel teasing with fish/chips !

tnakazon
sage

Re: Astronomy equipment in the Republic of Ireland new [Re: GeneT]
      #5613509 - 01/09/13 11:10 AM Attachment (9 downloads)

Quote:

I spent 12 days in Ireland, on a tour with several San Antonio friends. We never got in any viewing. But, I do have a certificate from the Jameson distillery stating that I am an official whiskey taster. Six shots of Jameson down the hatch in less than two minutes. When we left the distillery, I told my wife not to let me sit or lay down because I would never get up again.

Unfortunately, I didn't visit the Jameson or even the Guinness breweries during my stay in Dublin. I originally planned to bring a small scope for my trip, but decided not to for the sake of packing light. If I'd done so, there were quite a few clear nights where I could have gotten some observing in, but other diversions in town would not have allowed me to do so.

PatDunne

Reged: 09/28/11

Loc: Dublin, Rep of Ireland.
Re: Astronomy equipment in the Republic of Ireland [Re: tnakazon]
      #5614377 - 01/09/13 07:45 PM

Delighted you had such a good time in Dublin.

Over the Christmas period we had some of the clearest nights in the Dublin area I can recall in a long time. Typical Murphy's Law I was struck down by a really nasty flu and didn't get out for even one night

However judging by your last photo your time was taken up doing some alternative observing

The astro scene is quite small here in Ireland but extremely social with a number of clubs hosting regular events, despite the weathers worst efforts.

Edited by PatDunne (01/09/13 07:52 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
7 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cildarith, panhard, tecmage 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 701

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics