Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Classic Telescopes

Pages: 1

Reged: 01/08/13

Bausch & Lomb T mount question. new
      #5613055 - 01/09/13 01:27 AM


I have a Bausch @ Lomb 4000 telescope with the camera attachment which allows me to use it with my Olympus OM-1 film camera. For Christmas I received a digital Nikon T3i and I would like to use the Bausch @ Lomb 4000 lens with it. I have the following reticles: 12mm., 18mm, 30mm, 18mm, as well as a 2x B&W lens, a 7.5mm focal reducer and a 12.7mm measuring reticle. Being able to use the B &L 4000 lens with my old OM-1 film camera has opened an amazing world of sun spots (I have a solar filter) and moon shots for me. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions for mating the B & L lens to my new digital camera. I understand that I will need a T adaptor to do so? I live in western Canada and would also appreciate some good sources for finding what I need. I am not only new to astronomy but also to digital photography.

Best regards,

Lorne Bohn (

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/06/12

Loc: South Carolina
Re: Bausch & Lomb T mount question. new [Re: Lorne]
      #5613262 - 01/09/13 08:14 AM

The camera adaptor threads onto the back of your 4000 in place of the visual back if its B&L made. It has a universal screw T thread. T-rings screw onto the adaptor. Then one mounts the camera to the scope as if it were a big zoom lens.

One buys the particular T-Ring that matches your camera lens mount. Try B&H photo or Adorama or Amazon. They go for $25 dollars or less.

T-rings are made in order to mate third party zoom lenses to various cameras. In stead of making 5 different zoom lenses, they make one with a universal T screw mount and you get the t-ring to match it to your camera. One must have a detatchable lens to use t rings, point and shoot cameras and Iphones use a clamp on adaptor.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  

Reged: 06/26/07

Loc: Terre Du Lac, MO
Re: Bausch & Lomb T mount question. [Re: Lorne]
      #5614379 - 01/09/13 07:46 PM

Make sure to get the correct "t" ring. Sounds like your camera is a Canon.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jean Mario

Reged: 11/21/10

Loc: Québec, Canada, St-Jérôme.
Re: Bausch & Lomb T mount question. new [Re: H.S.]
      #5779256 - 04/05/13 09:56 AM

No it's a Nikon He need Nikon T-ring...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/11/09

Loc: Gambier Island, BC, Canada
Re: Bausch & Lomb T mount question. new [Re: Jean Mario]
      #5779706 - 04/05/13 02:07 PM

The "T3i" is a Canon model number so I would *suspect* that it is not a Nikon...

In any case since you already have the camera adaptor (the straight tube that screws on to the back of the scope) you are correct that you only need a T-ring for your camera.

- If your Camera is a "Canon EOS Rebel T3i" then this one will do the trick
- If your camera actually *IS* a Nikon DSLR then this is the one you want.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
5 registered and 14 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), Brian Risley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 641

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics