Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Light Pollution

Pages: 1
MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/21/09

Loc: Huntingdon PA
Tired of living in town
      #5614389 - 01/09/13 07:50 PM

This town is a yellow/green zone but my neighbors make it so much worse. The light you see pictured as a street light my neighbor has under his car port. It was bad before BUT now he has some crazy high wattage bulb in it. The rest of the light blazing up my yard is from a 2 houses down. It is a double "flood" light fixture that is motion/switch activated. They will kindly turn it off if I ask and if theyr home. The light under the carport is a dawn till dusk thing and wont be switched off. My neighbor is also a *BLEEP* and wouldnt turn other lights off for me in the past

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
tomharri
sage

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: USA
Re: Tired of living in town new [Re: MessiToM]
      #5614406 - 01/09/13 07:56 PM

Yeah I was too, so moved 80 mies away from any city. And you know what? You'er gonna really hate it when the nearest decent grocery store is 30 miles away.

I discovered I need civilization a little more than pitch dark skys.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Tired of living in town new [Re: tomharri]
      #5614470 - 01/09/13 08:34 PM

Quote:

You'er gonna really hate it when the nearest decent grocery store is 30 miles away.

Not me! That's exactly my circumstances, living out in the mountains. I'll take the peace & tranquility, beauty, and especially the great dark skies, over having a grocery store a block away.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5614471 - 01/09/13 08:35 PM

Looks like some light panels would aid your observing considerably there.

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: Tired of living in town new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5614599 - 01/09/13 10:13 PM

Last resort suggestion......offer your neighbor a bribe! At this point what do you have to lose?

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: Tired of living in town new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5614784 - 01/10/13 12:51 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You'er gonna really hate it when the nearest decent grocery store is 30 miles away.

Not me! That's exactly my circumstances, living out in the mountains. I'll take the peace & tranquility, beauty, and especially the great dark skies, over having a grocery store a block away.

The grocery distance doesn’t bother me that much. From my camp on Indian Lake NY it is over 30 miles to the nearest grocery or drug store, but over 60 miles to the nearest emergency room, or doctor’s office for that matter. On unplowed mountain roads that could be a 3 or 4 hour drive in a snow storm (not to mention unreachable during the Hurricane Irene floods). There is a clinic with a PA in town that is OK for stuff like colds and they have an EMT crew and vehicle. On the other hand, it’s only 2.5 miles to the nearest bar (appropriately, the “Bear Trap Inn”)…… so it’s not totally uncivilized.

MEE

Reged: 07/10/10

Re: Tired of living in town new [Re: George N]
      #5614805 - 01/10/13 01:18 AM

This was mentioned in another post here. Maybe it's good to suggest that they get this, if they have this type of light:

http://www.parshield.com/index.html

But tell them how getting one will benefit THEM first (saving money, reduced glare bc the light goes where it's needed, etc.)

I'd mention the "light trespass" issue as a last resort.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: Tired of living in town new [Re: tomharri]
      #5614985 - 01/10/13 07:43 AM

Quote:

Yeah I was too, so moved 80 mies away from any city. And you know what? You'er gonna really hate it when the nearest decent grocery store is 30 miles away.

At my country home -- which is anything but dark! -- the grocery store 10 minutes away closed a couple of years ago, and it's now a 25-minute drive to the nearest supermarket. It has definitely made a difference; I have to plan my grocery shopping carefully. But it's not all that big a deal.

MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Tired of living in town new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5615293 - 01/10/13 11:19 AM

That Parsheild is neat. The guy two houses that has the floods turned them off last night for me without malice lol

I think I will build a high fence out toward my next door neighbors 1 point 21 jigawatt street light thing under his car port.

To heck with missing a grocery store in the wilderness. Id have fas-tfood/pizza delivery withdraw lol

Mxplx2
sage

Reged: 09/12/12

Loc: PA USA
      #5617547 - 01/11/13 04:20 PM

Those two cross things in the picture between the dob and the light look like clothes poles. String a clothes line between them and hang up a tarp or blanket or something. I ran a clothes line from the house to a clothes pole in the backyard and I hang up a blanket.

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: Tired of living in town new [Re: Mxplx2]
      #5617885 - 01/11/13 07:50 PM

Well, I moved out to the sticks. The nearest store is 15 minutes and the nearest decent store is 30. Don't care, I go every couple of weeks and very nearly never have to make a special trip. When I moved in 15 years ago I could only see one light in the Winter, a Mercury vapor about a mile away. I'm way back off the road. Slowly, property sold and houses where built. Now a couple of mercury vapor lights drill thru the pines in the Winter and one guy across the road has the front of his house lit up like a landing strip with lights lining his walkway. I don't think it is possible, on a working stiffs salary, to isolate oneself from light polution of this sort. Why a light should be allowed to drill its way thru hundreds and thousands of feet of darkness is beyond me. Why aren't these lights sold with shielded sides?

For that single bright light in the posted picture, I'd sink a couple of timbers in the ground, on the lot line, and span the space with a piece of plywood. Hang a planter or a basketball hoop and be done with it. If I was really annoyed I'd have an old school bus towed in, parked to block as much as possible. and spend the next ten years 'converting' it, starting with painting the windows black.

Noisykids
sage

Reged: 06/01/11

Loc: ma
Re: Tired of living in town new [Re: mich_al]
      #5617904 - 01/11/13 08:00 PM

i talked to the people across the street today, who are finally moving. they have an unshielded fixture over their door which they leave on a lot. we chatted about the move, and then i asked them about the light and the possibility of installing a shielded fixture. right away i could see she was hesitant, so i offered to pay for it. they have to talk to the realtor. they don't even know if the buyer can get financing, but they have to talk to the realtor. so i went to lowe's today and was horrified to walk down the outdoor light aisle. they are all set on motion detectors to go off when you walk by and i couldn't believe how bright some of them are. i just took a botched uta ring and a piece of kydex, a dimmer bulb, and shielded my own front light. if i'm gonna force the whole neighborhood to do it, i gotta do it too.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: Tired of living in town new [Re: Noisykids]
      #5618027 - 01/11/13 09:11 PM

my backyard neighbor is about 400' away but his lights cast a shadow on our living room wall through the windows inside. i just dont think i would be any good talking about it.. he has MULTIPLE units he put up and they shine sideways.. at me.. im really really thinking of moving myself..before starting an observatory.. a few nights ago it was infuriating as it was windy so all these other motion lights kept coming on and off from all sides.. really stinks. kinda feel like i cant win.

i have some metal wire fence posts you nag in the ground for chicken wire fence, string some twine, and clothespins for some plastic landscape fabric i clip up at night. but when its windy its not worth it.. too much flap

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Tired of living in town new [Re: lamplight]
      #5618044 - 01/11/13 09:24 PM

from 400' away i just took this
he's got these lights on the ground and on his house, that point sideways, at me. luckily its far enough away not to need a large light shield but its annoying no less. can see two of the 3 posts on right that hold my light shade. sometimes they leave them on all night. oddly they often dont have them on when its cloudy.

skinnyonce

Reged: 03/23/11

Loc: ohio
      #5618116 - 01/11/13 10:18 PM

you need to plant some fast growing arbovite bushs

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Tired of living in town new [Re: skinnyonce]
      #5619441 - 01/12/13 04:56 PM

It fills in in summer fortunately which is some good news I forgot about!

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
      #5623635 - 01/14/13 11:27 PM

Quote:

my backyard neighbor is about 400' away but ......

I have a friend with a roll-off roof observatory at his rural NY home (typical SQM reading = 21.1 or so). He has a neighbor behind a row of trees similar to what is in your picture. His neighbor only turns on his outside lights when going in or out, but my friend has nevertheless nailed up opaque green sheet plastic on the tree trunks to permanently shade his observatory from those lights. During the summer the sheet plastic is more or less hidden in the greenery.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Tired of living in town new [Re: George N]
      #5624197 - 01/15/13 11:10 AM

very good idea! or the arborvitae 's .. definitely going to deal with it this summer if wee dont move.

bunyon
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/23/10

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
      #5624666 - 01/15/13 03:39 PM

I knew a guy who, when failing to convince neighbors to turn off/shield their lights, fought back by getting four very bright lights and aiming at the neighbor's windows.

Those sideways aiming lights pointed AWAY from your house don't seem very annoying. Those pointed toward your house are. I wouldn't use this as a first move but in my friend's case, it actually did the trick. The other guy offered to shield if it was mutual.

Also, 15 minutes from a store is not "in the sticks". I lived in Baltimore and was 15 minutes to a store. When I think "sticks" I think an hour to the store.

MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: Tired of living in town new [Re: bunyon]
      #5626035 - 01/16/13 11:24 AM

that's good ^ lol

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  richard7, nitegeezer, PatHolland 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2152

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics