Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Observing >> Solar System Observing

Pages: 1
norton67

Reged: 12/11/12

Loc: Michigan
Uranus, Ceres, Vesta new
      #5614962 - 01/10/13 07:10 AM Attachment (27 downloads)

Well I had never seen any of this before. So last night I made it my mission to do so. Earlier in the day I got on Stellarium and drew up some star maps/ star pattterns so I could locate each one. I went to Vesta first and actually found it quit easy. Then I started my search for Ceres and came acrossed it also. I ways pretty excited that I had found them both. So I decided to look for Uranus. In that part of the sky it was a little harder because when I look that way there are some houses with lights on. And it always hard not to look at the light for some reason...lol.
Anyway I found Pisces and started star hoping a little. Then after about 10 min, I found the pattern of stars I was looking for and saw Uranus for the first time. All in all it was a good night, cold and windy but my portable observatory really helped out. I used my Garrett 28 x 110 binoculars. Thanks for reading.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dan777
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/16/07

Loc: Indiana
Re: Uranus, Ceres, Vesta new [Re: norton67]
      #5615032 - 01/10/13 08:24 AM

That was quite an observing night to remember. This is a good time to see another asteroid (minor planet) - 9 Metis. It was at opposition on Jan. 1. It's now at mag 8.7 and fading fast (mag 8.9 on Jan. 18).

Instead of using Stellarium to make star charts, this one does a much better job and is also more accurate (Stellarium is missing some stars and some of the magnitudes are off a little). http://www.aavso.org/vsp

BTW, nice pic!

norton67

Reged: 12/11/12

Loc: Michigan
Re: Uranus, Ceres, Vesta new [Re: dan777]
      #5615049 - 01/10/13 08:40 AM

Thanks dan for the info.

Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: Uranus, Ceres, Vesta [Re: norton67]
      #5615178 - 01/10/13 10:15 AM

Wonderful. If you want to see something, knowing where to look is half the battle.

Glad you enjoyed the hunt and the trophy.

Pages: 1

Extra information
4 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Rich (RLTYS), star drop, Mitchell Duke 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 390

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics