Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
wcstarguy

Reged: 12/04/08

Astro-Tech Voyager and JMI Train-N-Track
      #5615738 - 01/10/13 03:32 PM

Have any AT Voyager mount owners purchased or used the JMI Train-N-Track micro motor system? I really like the Voyager mount (I already have the mount) and wonder if this tracking solution works well enough for the price. I am not a big fan of gem mounts and do only visual, but I am thinking of getting into short exposure (10-30 seconds or less) wide field video imaging with a Mallincam or one of the Samsung video cams (modified)down the road. I have an Orion 120st I use currently on this mount. WC

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lane
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/19/07

Loc: Frisco, Texas
Re: Astro-Tech Voyager and JMI Train-N-Track new [Re: wcstarguy]
      #5615845 - 01/10/13 04:33 PM

Can't say how well it will track, because I have the original non-TnT version. Mine just has a hand controller for up down left right and speed adjustment. I am guessing it is the same motors with a different controller. I like having the motors on that mount, really never cared much for this mount until I put those motors on it. They are not super fast but fast enough to scan around a constellation for DSO's. If you want to switch to another constellation, best to loosen the locks and push the mount.

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
Re: Astro-Tech Voyager and JMI Train-N-Track new [Re: wcstarguy]
      #5615901 - 01/10/13 05:06 PM

Although I have had it for a few months it has not gotten the work out that makes me feel truly comfortable with the tracking as I have spent most of my limited observing time with my dob. It does work but takes practice. I have managed to keep something centered for up to 30 sec. and more is possible I am sure if I spend more time at it. It has variable speed functions in both AZ and Alt which you use to 'train' the motors, as well as higher speed slewing. You can also slew the mount manually without any clutches involved. When I have more time in the near future it will be a pleasure to use for visual. Yes, I think it will work for widefield 30sec exposures after you get used to it.
As a side note, my 26 year old son who has no interest in astronomy spent 15 min one night cruising over the surface of the moon at 150x with the hand controller.

Eric

rathbaster
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 03/21/08

Loc: East Bridgewater, MA
Re: Astro-Tech Voyager and JMI Train-N-Track new [Re: beatlejuice]
      #5617900 - 01/11/13 07:59 PM

I got Train n Track from JMI very shortly after they came out with it. I had previously used their micro-slew motors on my Voyager.

I am visual only so I can't say how well the system works for photography. It takes some time to become proficient with the controls so that you can keep objects more or less near the center. I have found the time before significant drifting is sufficient for sketching. My best centering job was on Jupiter with a 3" F/15 refractor at about 100x magnification. I managed to keep it from drifting for several minutes.

At high powers you can detect drift easily and can adjust the throttle to suit. There are also buttons which spin the motors at max speed to allow you to center without messing with the throttles.

-Joe

wcstarguy

Reged: 12/04/08

Re: Astro-Tech Voyager and JMI Train-N-Track new [Re: rathbaster]
      #5618324 - 01/12/13 12:48 AM

Sounds like the T-N-T would make the voyager mount more fun/easier to use for visual but might not work that great for short exposure video. I haven't completely decided, but with the cost of the T-N-T at just under $300, I might change directions, add a bit more from the old tax return and buy a cg-4 mount with tracking motors instead (I don't really want to spend much right now). This would probably give me better tracking for video astronomy length exposures with the 120st scope and since it is a small gem, would not be that difficult to set up and transport.

Pages: 1

Extra information
9 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 684

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics