Observing >> Lunar Observing

Pages: 1
Centaur
Vendor

Reged: 07/12/04

Loc: Chicago
Jupiter & Star Occulted – Alignment - Jan 21-24
      #5616437 - 01/10/13 10:49 PM

This is a poor year for lunar occultations visible to observers in the northern hemisphere. But the parade continues for folks down under. The Jupiter occultation described below will instead result in a straight line pattern of Aldebaran-Moon-Jupiter for many of us up north. For Chicago observers the straightest alignment will occur on 2013 JAN 21 at 23:54 CST.

During the nighttime morning hours of 2013 JAN 22, the 78% illuminated waxing gibbous Moon will occult Jupiter for many observers in South America.

During the night of 2013 JAN 23-24, the 89% illuminated waxing gibbous Moon will occult magnitude +3.0 Zeta Tauri for observers in the region surrounding the Indian Ocean.

I’ve created graze maps and preview graphics for both occultations. They can be seen at: www.CurtRenz.com/moon

Photos and descriptions of the occultations or alignment would be welcome additions to this thread. If you would like timing predictions for your location for either an occultation or the alignment, please reply to this thread with a longitude, latitude, elevation and time zone.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Centaur
Vendor

Reged: 07/12/04

Loc: Chicago
Re: Jupiter & Star Occulted – Alignment - Jan 21-24 new [Re: Centaur]
      #5637782 - 01/22/13 09:15 PM

Apparently we aren’t getting any reports from South America where Jupiter was occulted by the Moon, or from North America where we were treated to a nifty alignment. I’m remiss too, since it was 0° F in Chicagoland and I stayed indoors.

There will be another Jupiter occultation for folks down under next month. That will be the last of a monthly series that began in June. Nevertheless, the parade of 2013 southern hemisphere occultations continues.

Here are what I've determined are the upcoming significant lunar occultations (UT dates for the mid-points).

2013 JAN 23 – Zeta Tauri – Region surrounding Indian Ocean
2013 FEB 02 – Spica – Southern Africa & Madagascar
2013 FEB 03 – Alpha Librae – Southeastern Australia & Southern New Zealand
2013 FEB 04 – Beta Scorpii – Malaysia, Indonesia & Australia

I’ve created a new webpage specifically for occultations. Currently it contains graze maps, Besselian elements, preview graphics and data for the above listed occultations.

The charts can be seen by clicking: www.CurtRenz.com/occultations

Others that will be added in the near future are:

2013 FEB 18 – Jupiter – Southern Australia
2013 FEB 20 – Zeta Tauri – South America

The next occultation of any significance for North Americans will be that of Beta Scorpii during the early evening of 2013 May 24 (UT date 25). Unfortunately that will be by the brightest Full Moon of the year, despite it entering a truly insignificant penumbral eclipse shortly after the occultation. The evening portion of the occultation will be only for observers in the eastern half of the USA, Mexico, Central America, northern South America, the Caribbean and a tiny portion of Canada. The path will then swing across the Atlantic for an early morning visit with western Africa.

North Americans will be in the zone of occultation for the minor planets 134340 Pluto and 5 Astraea on 2013 APR 30 and 2013 MAY 01. But those events would be mainly of academic interest since they will be tough to observe, especially in the case of dim Pluto.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave Mitsky, star drop, Starman81 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 616

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics