Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Refractors

Pages: 1
weixing

Reged: 05/09/05

Loc: Singapore
Stellarvue F60M2 Finderscope Collimation
      #5616449 - 01/10/13 10:54 PM

Hi,
I just purchase a Stellarvue F60M2 Finderscope and the performance was not as good as I expected (read many positive review), so I put in my Cheshire eyepiece in and I realized the collimation is totally off. Instead of a round objective, I see an oval shape (like a gibbous moon shape) objective. I check my old Anatres 9x50mm finderscope and although the collimation is also off, but at least I see a round objective.

Anyway, I just want to check with other Stellarvue Finderscope owner is this consider normal?? I hope I'm not expecting too much for a finderscope...

Thanks and have a nice day.

PS: Happy new year!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pete-LH
sage

Reged: 03/25/09

Loc: Wilmington, DE
Re: Stellarvue F60M2 Finderscope Collimation new [Re: weixing]
      #5616881 - 01/11/13 09:13 AM

Glad you posted this, ... Check this recent thread.

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=refractor...

I wanted to get the SV 60mm as well but read the above plus had some issues with a previous item that I ordered.

Also separate from this, I bought a second hand F50M and although it gives a nice wide field and bright image, and the separate focus for the cross hair and image is very nice, I was disappointed in how much Astigmatism there is at the edge of view and on bright objects (some of that may be my own vision but I do not have the issue with a couple other finders that I have).

I am thinking of getting the Baader "Planetarium Vario Finder Scope Erect Image" listed at 63mm and was wondering if anyone had tried this finder in comparison to the SV 60mm.

weixing

Reged: 05/09/05

Loc: Singapore
Re: Stellarvue F60M2 Finderscope Collimation new [Re: weixing]
      #5618393 - 01/12/13 02:34 AM

Hi,
I put my compact camera as close as possible and get a shot simlar to what I saw in the Cheshire eyepiece.

About the "Planetarium Vario Finder Scope Erect Image", I initially also interested in it, but many comment that the focusing mechanism is quite bad and wobbly. Also, it's come with a 45 degree erect image diagonal which mean I need to get another right angle one adding cost to the already expensive price tag.

Have a nice day.

Pages: 1

Extra information
19 registered and 31 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  FirstSight, panhard, star drop, dr.who 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 552

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics