Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Eyepieces

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: New 16mm - 8mm Zoom with constant 66 field new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5595205 - 12/29/12 09:59 PM

Time for a review, with some A B comparisons with other eyepieces.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
Re: New 16mm - 8mm Zoom with constant 66 field new [Re: GeneT]
      #5595791 - 12/30/12 10:04 AM

... including the Baader Hyperion Zoom with a good Barlow.

Mike

Tamiji Homma
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: California, USA
Re: New 16mm - 8mm Zoom with constant 66 field new [Re: Niels2011]
      #5596179 - 12/30/12 01:30 PM

Quote:

I'm also looking forward to hearing - but I guess full moon at the moment means that dark transparent night for the DSO contrast comparison is still a little while off. I'm contemplating buying one or other of the Leica ASPH or Meopta so it would be a big deal if they are similar in contrast - or to know the trade-offs; many thanks in advance Tammy.

Clear skies
Niels

Hi Niels,

I haven't done side-by-side comparison yet. One thing that I can tell you for sure is that Meopta Zoom has too much of AMD (Angular Magnification Distortion) to minimize rectangular distortion. In other words, you see larger image on axis and smaller toward edge. Scanning star field may make you feel dizzy.

You can see it very clearly when you observe double star, good separation on axis, tighter toward edge. I guess it is designed for spotting scope, suitable for more terrestrial target than astronomical target.

However, other characteristics (lack of scatter, suppression of unwanted reflection etc) are superb as far as I can tell. It rivals to Leica ASPH Zoom.

So my recommendation is that if you are using it for night sky observation in general, Leica ASPH Zoom is a better choice. If your interest is mainly on axis image quality of planetary/lunar and want to take advantage of variable focal length of zoom eyepiece, I think that Meopta is a fine choice.

Currently, Meopta Zoom is screwed on top of Baader T2 Prism Diagonal as my grab-n-go setup. I am trying to resolve Trapezium A-F 6 stars with 60mm f/16 refractor, yielding about 121x-61x.

Tammy

Peter Natscher
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/28/06

Loc: Central Coast California
Re: New 16mm - 8mm Zoom with constant 66 field new [Re: Tamiji Homma]
      #5596278 - 12/30/12 02:41 PM

To me, the Meopta's outwardly flairing bottom, meant for its use on another scope design, is a deal breaker. It's fairing bottom makes it as large at the Leica's overall OD, negating any advantage over the Leica size-wise.

Quote:

It is finally here. It took longer than usual.
It was shipped on Oct 16th, arrived today on Oct 29th.

Just took regular snapshot. I did take a quick peek at terrestrial view. Good eye relief, comfortable, twist up eyeguard. The tapered eyepiece shoulder is about 60mm in diameter. I think I can use those in binoviewer.

Meopta with APM 2" M42 adapter on left, Leica with Starlight Instruments' adapter on right:

Eye lens:

Field lens:

More later when I get a chance to look through at night.

Tammy

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5596330 - 12/30/12 03:13 PM

Tammy,

Quote:

So my recommendation is that if you are using it for night sky observation in general, Leica ASPH Zoom is a better choice. If your interest is mainly on axis image quality of planetary/lunar and want to take advantage of variable focal length of zoom eyepiece, I think that Meopta is a fine choice.

Very nice summation to keep in mind when considering these two zooms. Thanks.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: New 16mm - 8mm Zoom with constant 66 field new [Re: Peter Natscher]
      #5596340 - 12/30/12 03:17 PM

Peter,

Quote:

To me, the Meopta's outwardly flairing bottom, meant for its use on another scope design, is a deal breaker. It's fairing bottom makes it as large at the Leica's overall OD, negating any advantage over the Leica size-wise.

Is the flaring bad enough to adversely affect using a pair of Meopta in a binoviewer for planet / lunar observation?

Mike

Niels2011

Reged: 06/09/11

Loc: UK
      #5596562 - 12/30/12 04:58 PM

Hi Tammy,

Thanks that's very helpful. Hmm food for thought - my observing is a lot of deep sky though I don't scan much, more star hopping and then lots of squinting and jiggling. I'm also wondering about Markus Ludes recommendation of the Meopta for f5 newtonians - is it that much better at the edge than the Leica in a Newtonian? Many thanks.

Niels

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51N 4E
      #5596631 - 12/30/12 05:46 PM

Quote:

If your interest is mainly on axis image quality of planetary/lunar and want to take advantage of variable focal length of zoom eyepiece, I think that Meopta is a fine choice.

Do you feel the AMD is bothersome in lunar observing, Tammy?

Tamiji Homma
Post Laureate

#5596964 - 12/30/12 09:38 PM

Hi Niels,

I can't confirm Markus' findings since I don't own f/5 Newtonian scope. Lately, I am too lazy (and busy) to go to local star party to look through big fast Newt.

But I can try it on fast f/5.5 and f/4 refractor, though.

PS: I don't get dizzy with Meopta when I sweep star field

Tammy

Tamiji Homma
Post Laureate

Re: New 16mm - 8mm Zoom with constant 66 field new [Re: Mark9473]
      #5596972 - 12/30/12 09:44 PM

Quote:

Do you feel the AMD is bothersome in lunar observing, Tammy?

Hi Mark,

Nope. I don't get bothered by AMD observing lunar but once you know it is there, you notice it. That's all.

I didn't mention it but I noticed Meopta has a little tricky eye placement issue as most long eye relief eyepieces do. I wish they had a few millimeter more twist up eyepiece height.

Tammy

Niels2011

#5597386 - 12/31/12 04:41 AM

Hi Tammy,

Haha, yes I was worried about dizziness!! But I know what you mean about the rolling ball effect. Thanks for your response. Yes, when you get a chance it would be very helpful to know your observations of how the Meopta compares to the edge of the Leica on a fast scope.

Niels

Niels2011

#5601104 - 01/02/13 11:38 AM

Hi Tammy,
I've now made my choice (Leica for my uses after weighing the various trade-offs - many thanks for your useful information), so no need to do further checks on my account, but I expect your further posts will be of great interest to lots of others based on the number of views this thread's been getting.

Best wishes
Niels

BradleyB
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/01/06

Loc: Olympia, WA
      #5612923 - 01/08/13 11:28 PM

I bought one...

The Meopta has very nice eye relief and is narrower than the Hyperion zoom, and very comfortable ergonomically. It's a bit stiff on the zoom but seems to be well made. The focus point is only a few mm in from the Hyperion zoom, assuming a 2" adapter. The aFOV seems to be accurate at 66 deg throughout the zoom. It seems to be nearly perfectly parfocal.

I had high hopes for this and a little bit of AMD does not bother me. But, unfortunately, it has a LOT of AMD, it's like looking into a marble. I can't imagine how anyone would accept it in a spotting scope. The Hyperion zoom is completely flat by comparison.

Since I would still have to make an adapter for it to view the sky, and I'm not likely to see the sky soon anyway here,

I returned it.

Brad

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Reged: 03/20/08

Loc: Manila, Philippines 121*E 14*N
Re: New 16mm - 8mm Zoom with constant 66 field new [Re: BradleyB]
      #5614795 - 01/10/13 01:02 AM

Quote:

I bought one...

The Meopta has very nice eye relief and is narrower than the Hyperion zoom, and very comfortable ergonomically. It's a bit stiff on the zoom but seems to be well made. The focus point is only a few mm in from the Hyperion zoom, assuming a 2" adapter. The aFOV seems to be accurate at 66 deg throughout the zoom. It seems to be nearly perfectly parfocal.

I had high hopes for this and a little bit of AMD does not bother me. But, unfortunately, it has a LOT of AMD, it's like looking into a marble. I can't imagine how anyone would accept it in a spotting scope. The Hyperion zoom is completely flat by comparison.

Since I would still have to make an adapter for it to view the sky, and I'm not likely to see the sky soon anyway here,

I returned it.

If the Meopta zoom isn't a lot better than the Baader Hyperion zoom, what are its chances of taking off (being more expensive)?

Best,

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: New 16mm - 8mm Zoom with constant 66 field new [Re: ibase]
      #5614989 - 01/10/13 07:46 AM

You get what you pay for ... whether or not it's really worth the price.

So far I've steered away from both these high-end Zooms, not only because of the high-end price, but the excessive fiddling and finessing that's apparently required to make them work well. The Baader Hyperion Zoom just works!

Mike

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Re: New 16mm - 8mm Zoom with constant 66 field new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5616414 - 01/10/13 10:32 PM

Quote:

The Baader Hyperion Zoom just works!

Like you said!

Best,

BradleyB
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/01/06

Loc: Olympia, WA
Re: New 16mm - 8mm Zoom with constant 66 field [Re: ibase]
      #5616529 - 01/11/13 12:04 AM

Yes I've had my gen 1 Hyperion zoom for some time and it has always performed nicely. If it had slightly more eye relief and wider field of view at the longer focal lengths it would be perfect. I just keep looking for that little extra.

Brad

ibase
Vendor Affiliate

Re: New 16mm - 8mm Zoom with constant 66 field new [Re: BradleyB]
      #5616710 - 01/11/13 05:28 AM

Agree, a wider field at the longer focal lengths is ideal, although the eye relief of the Hyperion zoom is comfortable enough for me, even for extended viewing sessions. My dream zoom is a 4-36mm with a 100-deg AFoV across the entire focal range.

Best,

dscarpa
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/15/08

Loc: San Diego Ca.
Re: New 16mm - 8mm Zoom with constant 66 field new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5617682 - 01/11/13 06:02 PM

Sorry to hear about the Meopta's AMD. Guess I'll cross this one off my list. Watching planets or lunar features get bigger and smaller as they dift across the field of view of my scopes that don't track would be a bit off putting. My Hyperion 2 Zoom compares well to my XWs and such with good seeing but lags behind with better. David

Edited by dscarpa (01/11/13 06:06 PM)

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: New 16mm - 8mm Zoom with constant 66 field new [Re: dscarpa]
      #5617691 - 01/11/13 06:07 PM

I use my Baader Zoom mostly for DSO at my dark site and for grab-n-go views of the Moon and planets here at home. When I'm really serious about planet/lunar, I take out the binoviewer.

Mike

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
26 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  ausastronomer, droid, Scott in NC 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7754

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics