Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Converted old CG-4 EQ mount to ALT/AZ! thanks CN! new [Re: lamplight]
      #5619463 - 01/12/13 05:09 PM

Quote:

I can see how the mount design on that one makes for a more central point of balance over the tripod.. The cg-4 is a bit different.. But not a ton. I can't wait to use it this way.. I've been dragging my SCT out for manual alt/az browsing now ill only do that if I need a little more umph in light gathering and magnification. Thanks for the help guys. This is in a way. My first bargain in this hobby as far as I'm concerned

Matt:

I have an EQ-3 which is essentially the same as the older CG-4, the Mizar mount is ideal for conversion, there is absolutely nothing to modify or change. But the CG-4 still can be used effectively as an ALT-AZ mount. You are chomping at the bit, ready to go, just waiting for some clear skies.

Jon

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Noisykids
sage

Reged: 06/01/11

Loc: ma
Re: Converted old CG-4 EQ mount to ALT/AZ! thanks CN! new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5619553 - 01/12/13 06:00 PM

Seriously bemused here to find this thread. i tried converting the eq mount that my st-120 came with but couldn't get the head to go to 90 degrees. i wanted something i could grab and go and it wasn't really working out. i just took the whole head apart to locate the hard stop on the outside and it works. great. how do i explain to the war department the versa go that is supposed to be delivered monday? actually i don't care for the legs on this mount so i will probably keep the versa go. if i had found this thread two weeks ago i would be that much closer to the 8" edge hd.

eta 1/14--- the versa go is set up in the corner of the living room with an 80mm eon, an ra finder and a telrad. looks cool. my lovely wife took one look at it and remarked "is that the R2D2 model?" i kind of set her off when i brought the box in the house by asking if she noticed if the delivery guy dropped it. i shook it and it rattled. i said "this is a $6000 telescope." just had everything out looking at jupiter. it does what i want.

Edited by Noisykids (01/14/13 06:18 PM)

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: Converted old CG-4 EQ mount to ALT/AZ! thanks CN! new [Re: Noisykids]
      #5619850 - 01/12/13 09:39 PM

Oh that's unfortunate timing. Depending on the vendor , can you just return it unopened and brand new? The war dept (ha!) won't have anything to say.

Noisykids
sage

#5620750 - 01/13/13 01:02 PM

she wouldn't bustmy chops anyway. just looked at your moon photos. nice job. i seem to have trouble getting them to focus clearly. where exactly is west central ma? i describe my location at south central ma. i'm thinking millbury, brookfield,something around there, oxford, dudley,?

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
      #5620762 - 01/13/13 01:07 PM

Too bad you guys aren't closer, would be great to hook up in the Spring for a small star party.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Converted old CG-4 EQ mount to ALT/AZ! thanks CN! new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5621147 - 01/13/13 04:21 PM

Hi

Northampton ma. I'd consider berkshires western am but people do call this western mass.. So, wEll there ya go.

I'm new at the photos but here's what I found so far: camera has a manual focus assist screen that can zoom in many times just for focus.. I forget, and it varies I think.. It can temporarily show a screen that is zoomed many times so I can get better focus.. The other thing that I've been realizing is the exposure needs to be a lot quicker than I originally was doing because of the motion blur of the planets' / moon movement.

Where are you noisy kids?

Rob I'm down there near buzzards bay for family like i said so I'm sure we can do a meetup when warmer. It's my wife's folks and I usually don't go down much but they have incredible horizons and what with meeting up ill probably go down a bit more often this year

Noisykids
sage

#5621256 - 01/13/13 05:14 PM

i'm in hopedale, next to milford,just off 495, half hour from worcester one way and framingham the other. i'm right on the edge of a red zone but 20 minutes towards uxbridge or whitinsville or upton and the color goes to a tan thing.
my canon rebel doesn't have an internal zoom so i have to drag the laptop outside and that's just more stuff.

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

#5621542 - 01/13/13 08:00 PM

noisykids, hey your right up the road from me...45min to an hour.

I was thinking of later getting the Rebel. Will see how you make out with images for reference.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

#5622745 - 01/14/13 02:02 PM

Quote:

Very cool Matt. I'm gonna have to try this with my mount.

what i didnt mention is the two plastic covers where the latitude scale is and on the other side where it says Celestron: they cracked a little bit when coming off on mine , so if you try it just be aware you may be making the mount uglier. i didnt really care so perhaps i could have used a little more finesse. maybe a haor dryer on each side might help soften up the glue before trying that if concerned.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

#5622756 - 01/14/13 02:08 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

pic of added weight underneath the leg stabalizer/tripod mount. a quick test showed a slightly better center of gravity. the bigger of the two weights fits above the EP holder as well for added weight. i dont think i really need it but you get the idea:

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

#5622763 - 01/14/13 02:10 PM

obviously the same weight , lower, would provide way more stability but trying to keep things lean and mean.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
      #5622784 - 01/14/13 02:25 PM

You used to be able to get wooden leg replacements for the standard legs supplied with the CG-4. I bought wooden legs for my CG-4 from Hands On about five years ago. They make for a much sturdier - though somewhat heavier - mount.

Mike

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: Converted old CG-4 EQ mount to ALT/AZ! thanks CN! new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5622836 - 01/14/13 03:01 PM

Quote:

You used to be able to get wooden leg replacements for the standard legs supplied with the CG-4. I bought wooden legs for my CG-4 from Hands On about five years ago. They make for a much sturdier - though somewhat heavier - mount.

Mike

Mike:

Was your a new CG-4 with the 1.75 inch diameter stainless steel legs or the older one with extruded aluminum legs. In my experience, the aluminum legs were a weak link and replacing them with wood was a definite improvement. The 1.75 inch SS legs are quite sturdy and should be more than sufficient.

Jon

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Suburban Maryland, USA
      #5623356 - 01/14/13 08:25 PM

Those old legs have been up in the attic for about five years now. I believe they were the aluminum legs. I remember they were light and pretty flimsy and that the wooden legs were an obvious improvement.

Mike

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: Converted old CG-4 EQ mount to ALT/AZ! thanks CN! new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5623444 - 01/14/13 09:20 PM

Quote:

Those old legs have been up in the attic for about five years now. I believe they were the aluminum legs. I remember they were light and pretty flimsy and that the wooden legs were an obvious improvement.

Mike

Mike:

Those old aluminum legs were used on the CG-5s too and pretty flaky. When Celestron came out with the CG-5 Advanced Series they upped the Ante with the 2 inch Stainless Steel legs, then upgraded the CG-4 to 1.75 inch aluminum legs, it forced the other manufacturers to follow suit...

I have an EQ-3 which is essentially the same as your CG-4, Wooden legs certainly helped stabilize that mount.

Jon

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

#5624418 - 01/15/13 01:32 PM

I just picked up some wood GTO legs that can for this and claim to minimize shake. Not too costly and given your comments here thought what the heck. The 1.75" seem more than fine but it will be interesting to compare.

Especially since I was experimenting with my 10" reflector n this mount and it, gasp, works. Little obstruction issues at closer to zenith and I know how to deal with that if this becomes a regular thing. I'm surprised it balanced Ok without counterweights . Clouded over so didn't get to experiment long, 5 minutes.. And was on my deck so wasn't really sure how much shake there was since the deck had plenty. Nice to have options.

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

#5624441 - 01/15/13 01:41 PM

I'll be switching my mount over to alt az this evening to give me something to. I planned on using the EQ but remembered that I can't see Polaris due to a neighbors light that is some times on, Mall LP and a big tree. I'll use the EQ set up at a dark site or a field close by when it warms up.

Very cool thread Matt.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

#5624461 - 01/15/13 01:50 PM

Well it's not a quick and easy back and forth.. But not rocket science either. Just rediscovering what a lot of folks did back in the day apparently

I can't see Polaris from my observing spot too.. It can be polar aligned pretty well though even so.. They helped me figure that out here a while back , pm me if you want a link to the thread.. I forget what it was called (thread title).

Good luck let me know how you make out. Oh be sure the lock the flange in place like he shows how to do in the thread (I was only able to get one screw in but its tight and holds. ) otherwise the scope will flop when rotated

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

#5624488 - 01/15/13 02:11 PM

Thanks Matt. I'll grind down the one spot to allow it to flip. I figure I have lots of time as it doesn't seem like we'll have clear skies for a while.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

#5624500 - 01/15/13 02:16 PM

Ok yes that's the part I'm talking about.. Once you get it flipped through I had to put the "stop" back on so it wouldn't flip back and forth.. I think you know what I mean. Wish I had a grinder! In that case your conversion should be a lot easier to manage than what I had to do!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3336

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics