Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
Re: Converted old CG-4 EQ mount to ALT/AZ! thanks CN! new [Re: lamplight]
      #5624508 - 01/15/13 02:19 PM

Yeah that way I don't have to take the caps off and un bolt the mount just to flip. Once it clears after grinding it's only a matter of taking off the two hex bolts and plate, flip, then bolt back on.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5624610 - 01/15/13 03:07 PM

Quote:

I just picked up some wood GTO legs that can for this and claim to minimize shake. Not too costly and given your comments here thought what the heck. The 1.75" seem more than fine but it will be interesting to compare.

The Wooden Legs are a nice upgrade for a mount with the extruded aluminum legs, they are a meaningful upgrade to the Vixen Portamount. But the new GS-4 with it's 1.75 inch SS legs are a different story, they are used on mount like the Orion Sirius which is rated for 30lbs.

Jon

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Re: Converted old CG-4 EQ mount to ALT/AZ! thanks CN! new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5624662 - 01/15/13 03:38 PM

I couldn't resist and went ahead and changed mine over. Took about 20 minutes to remove bolts and grind the flange and tongue.

Removed the front plate.

The flange that stops it was first ground down, but the plate does not go back on because the holes don't line up.

An easier way is to just grind down the tongue. This allows it to clear the flange and rest above the plate after it's screwed back in place.

The scope was mounted and it moves freely, and closer to the center and not hanging out past the legs.

I don't think the weights are needed but I'll find a bolt long enough to hold the smaller/lighter weight. I also found it easier to carry the mount with scope out the door. The only thing is that it is a few inches lower, but the legs can be extended.
This is very easy to switch back to the EQ set up. Now I just need clear skies to test the new scope and alt az out.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
      #5624712 - 01/15/13 04:03 PM

Nice! Who's next?

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

#5624721 - 01/15/13 04:09 PM

yep, was easy to do. So now it looks very cool just sitting there... Nothing but clouds here.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

#5634944 - 01/21/13 01:08 PM

Hey Rob

i noticed last night that i would like to have my AZ/alt knobs on the same side as yours is pictured. i cant do that as the knobs hit each other so i cant swing the scope fully up/down if i have knobs on the same side. . you appear to have some extensions that mine didn't come with for your RA/DEC knobs.

just ordered some flexible slow mo controls from scopestuff!

Knygathin

Reged: 12/31/09

#5640409 - 01/24/13 10:51 AM

I guess there must two alternate ways of changing the CG-4 from eq mount to altaz! I turned the altitude axis the other way, to 0 degrees instead of 90 degrees. It was a much easier conversion. And the telescope looks to be eaqually near the center of the mount as when turning to 90 degrees.

The only con is that the balancing weight knocks into one of the tripod-legs when viewing objects near the horizon. But on the other hand, the remote controls are horizontally parallell to each other, which makes it much more comfortable holding them, than when one is top of the other.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Converted old CG-4 EQ mount to ALT/AZ! thanks CN! new [Re: Knygathin]
      #5641471 - 01/24/13 08:57 PM

That's kind of why people recommend putting it at 90°, but if it works for you it is a job well done. Actually I guess there's at least 3 ways that we covered: your way, going the flange down, take it apart the way I did. I like the grind method jus haven't tried that yet. Wish I'd had thought of it before busting off my plastic bolt caps.

Welcome to CN btw

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

#5641584 - 01/24/13 09:50 PM

Very good all round mount eh. Yeah Matt by grinding the tongue down there is no need to unbolt anything.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
      #5641641 - 01/24/13 10:22 PM

I'm not quite up to speed with exactly how this is done - are the motors still operational? I would LOOOOOVE for my DM6 to have a handpad and motors. I'm not talking about tracking obviously but just being able to move the scope with the handpad would be great.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Converted old CG-4 EQ mount to ALT/AZ! thanks CN! new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5641710 - 01/24/13 11:09 PM

Johnny

Now that's kind of a different ball of wax .. I took the motor off mine and gave it away to someone here on CN.. But that's a super interesting thought you have.. In fact I had been eyeing my cg-5 wondering if there was a non destructive motorized alt-az conversion possible to do just as you say.. In that mounts case it might be just as simple to keep as EQ really.. and That's a little different than motorizing a non powered alt-az, I'd be real curious what you might find out.. I never thought of trying my motors and hand controller!

Oh rob btw I put a longer dovetail bar on and it made a HUGE difference in stability.. Shake stops in a second or two vs 5+!

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5642974 - 01/25/13 04:59 PM

So Matt, are the gears stripped out or...? Is it indeed possible to make this conversion with the motors still working?

I have no plans to motorize my DM6 but I definitely would love the capability.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Converted old CG-4 EQ mount to ALT/AZ! thanks CN! new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5643013 - 01/25/13 05:27 PM

Hi

The motor should work fine like this still, from what I can tell, though I don't have them any more as I mentioned. Pretty sure rob doesnt have motors either. So I can't say for certain. You have the dm6 on a cg4? If the gear bolt are still accessible I don't see why it wouldn't work. The guy I gave my motors to is on CN and has used the cg-4 in alt-az and eq mode . Maybe he will see this and can answer

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5643054 - 01/25/13 05:50 PM

Thanks Matt and to clear up any confusion, my DM6 is a normal DM6 on a Planet tripod and I just daydream that I had a motorized handpad instead of manually moving it.

SkipW
sage

Reged: 02/03/11

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
      #5643199 - 01/25/13 07:22 PM

Quote:

I guess there must two alternate ways of changing the CG-4 from eq mount to altaz! I turned the altitude axis the other way, to 0 degrees instead of 90 degrees. It was a much easier conversion. And the telescope looks to be eaqually near the center of the mount as when turning to 90 degrees.

The only con is that the balancing weight knocks into one of the tripod-legs when viewing objects near the horizon. But on the other hand, the remote controls are horizontally parallell to each other, which makes it much more comfortable holding them, than when one is top of the other.

If you're going to do this, why not just tilt it up to match your latitude and point it generally north? It's easy to track objects if you do that.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I see zero advantages to doing this instead of just using it as the equatorial mount it was designed to be.

Knygathin

Re: Converted old CG-4 EQ mount to ALT/AZ! thanks CN! new [Re: SkipW]
      #5643273 - 01/25/13 08:08 PM

Quote:

If you're going to do this, why not just tilt it up to match your latitude and point it generally north? It's easy to track objects if you do that.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I see zero advantages to doing this instead of just using it as the equatorial mount it was designed to be.

With altaz mode, one remote control knob will move the telescope tube left to right, and the other knob will move it up and down. While looking through the telescope you can move along in the sky anywhere you want, by turning the two knobs.

With equatorial mode, the remote control knobs will not move the telescope tube in this logical left/right and up/down manner. Instead it's like having a steering wheel on a car that is not directly connected to the wheels. It's difficult to steer it to where you want it. With equatorial mode you need the coordinates of an object, and then set the setting circles on the telescope to the same coordinates. You can't move and explore the sky spontaneously with the two knobs.

CJK
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/05/12

Loc: Northeast TN
      #5643285 - 01/25/13 08:16 PM

Actually, with an equatorial mount, the movements are just as logical -- it's just that you have to think of movement with reference to the celestial coordinate system instead of one based on the local horizon.

I'm not saying that it's easy to do that, but if you visualize things that way, it's actually pretty easy to move around with an EQ mount.

-- Chris

Knygathin

Re: Converted old CG-4 EQ mount to ALT/AZ! thanks CN! new [Re: CJK]
      #5643323 - 01/25/13 08:40 PM

Quote:

Actually, with an equatorial mount, the movements are just as logical -- it's just that you have to think of movement with reference to the celestial coordinate system instead of one based on the local horizon.

I'm not saying that it's easy to do that, but if you visualize things that way, it's actually pretty easy to move around with an EQ mount.

-- Chris

Hmmm. . . seems I have lot to learn. That sounds like a cosmological perspective, a fifth dimension perhaps, that my Earth evolved hands and eyes, connected by nerve centers in the brain, can't grasp. It certainly is a different kind of logics.

In eq mode, a sky object may be just outside of view, but no amount of fine tuning of the knobs will reach that object. Instead the tube must be moved around on the axis for a long detour before the object can be reached. It is weird!

CJK
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/05/12

Loc: Northeast TN
      #5643343 - 01/25/13 08:53 PM

This page is a good comparison of the two coordinate systems. The diagram at the bottom of the page is pretty helpful for visualizing the RA/dec system.

-- Chris

johnnyha
Postmaster

Re: Converted old CG-4 EQ mount to ALT/AZ! thanks CN! new [Re: CJK]
      #5643369 - 01/25/13 09:13 PM

One of the main advantages of alt/az is the focuser/diagonal/finder stays in the same basic area, and you don't have the eyepiece rotating into awkward positions.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3330

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics