Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
Re: Converted old CG-4 EQ mount to ALT/AZ! thanks CN! new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5643414 - 01/25/13 09:35 PM

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
Re: Converted old CG-4 EQ mount to ALT/AZ! thanks CN! new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5643665 - 01/26/13 01:00 AM

I will use the EQ when it warms up and I have longer viewing sessions. For now the Alt-az works great for just roaming and finding objects. No need for tracking for short sessions and just hopping around. Having a mount that can be converted over from EQ to alt-az, and back again kind of gives you two mounts in one.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: Converted old CG-4 EQ mount to ALT/AZ! thanks CN! new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5643682 - 01/26/13 01:21 AM

I'm curious if anyone is using the motors. Do you realize how much the Half Hitch people are charging to put motors on the Nova Hitch? I think they call it "robotic control" or somesuch...

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: Converted old CG-4 EQ mount to ALT/AZ! thanks CN! new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5644103 - 01/26/13 10:21 AM

You've got me thinking of trying this. Brilliant. The cg-4 stuff is quite cheap as things in this hobby go. Kind of silly I just gave mine way. I'm thinking one of the discmounts would be awesome for my reflector.. The cg-5 computerized /tracking mount looks like the same physical setup for rotating it to 90° (hmmmmmmm......)

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
Re: Converted old CG-4 EQ mount to ALT/AZ! thanks CN! new [Re: lamplight]
      #5644351 - 01/26/13 12:52 PM

ok Matt, your the official tester..lol Let us know what you come up with.

SkipW
sage

Reged: 02/03/11

Loc: Oklahoma, USA
Re: Converted old CG-4 EQ mount to ALT/AZ! thanks CN! new [Re: Knygathin]
      #5644570 - 01/26/13 03:03 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If you're going to do this, why not just tilt it up to match your latitude and point it generally north? It's easy to track objects if you do that.

Maybe I'm missing something, but I see zero advantages to doing this instead of just using it as the equatorial mount it was designed to be.

With altaz mode, one remote control knob will move the telescope tube left to right, and the other knob will move it up and down. While looking through the telescope you can move along in the sky anywhere you want, by turning the two knobs.

With equatorial mode, the remote control knobs will not move the telescope tube in this logical left/right and up/down manner. Instead it's like having a steering wheel on a car that is not directly connected to the wheels. It's difficult to steer it to where you want it. With equatorial mode you need the coordinates of an object, and then set the setting circles on the telescope to the same coordinates. You can't move and explore the sky spontaneously with the two knobs.

Sure you can. You can point anywhere in the sky you want, too, except maybe very close to the pole (alt-az mounts have this problem near the zenith). It takes a little getting used to, but not a lot, and in exchange tracking is significantly easier - you only need to move one axis to track.

If you set an equatorial mount up with the polar axis horizontal, as suggested in the post I responded to, it will not behave the way you just describe. Which of the slow-motion controls will cause the telescope to move up and down, or left and right, depends on where in the sky you're looking, unlike a true alt-az. It will also be very difficult to point to objects in the directions the polar axis is pointed due to a condition known as gimbal lock. This is the same in the polar region for an equatorial and near the zenith for an alt-az, but now you have two of them.

Let's review the cons to setting up this way:
Still need the counterweight (alt-az may not).
Counterweight hits the tripod.
Need two motions to track (eq needs just one).
Slow-motion controls don't move the telescope in a left-right-up-down manner (alt-az does, if that's what you want).
Gimbal lock in two directions instead of one.
Still need to do a meridian flip (alt-az doesn't, except when passing near zenith).

Now, lets review the pros:
<crickets>

Equatorial and alt-az mounts each have certain advantages. Setting up an equatorial mount with the polar axis level has none of the advantages of either, as far as I can tell, and none of its own (unless you're near the equator, then it's an equatorial mount if you align the PA north-south).

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: Converted old CG-4 EQ mount to ALT/AZ! thanks CN! new [Re: SkipW]
      #5649985 - 01/29/13 10:19 AM Attachment (21 downloads)

Rob: added the slo mo extension and filed down the tongue part so i could flip back and forth easier (unlikely, but still it also allows both screws to go back in, a neater job).

Edited by lamplight (01/29/13 11:41 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3493

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics