Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Equipment

Pages: 1
MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
Filter wheels
      #5618000 - 01/11/13 08:51 PM

Topic lifted from the Eyepiece forum discussion between me and Mike Sarkikos

Quote:

John,

Yes, I could see the advantage to a permanent set of ersatz 2" eyepieces if I never used a filter wheel or binoviewer. But I have two filter wheels: one loaded with filters for the planets, another with filters for DSO. The planet filter-wheel sees much sky time at home - often stacked with a binoviewer!

The DSO filter-wheel is great at my dark site to see immediately the effect of different filters on bright nebulae or to switch between an empty slot and an O-III to bag planetaries. Often I've seen veteran observers spend quite a bit of time using my filter wheel to see how nebulae appear with the different DSO filters: broadband, UHC, O-III, H-Beta and an empty slot. Evidently it is a very convenient and practical gizmo that provides immediate feedback. Much better than having to screw filters on and off an eyepiece in the dark.

Mike

Hey Mike, my 5 position filter wheel came today. I picked the 1.25" version to see how I fair with this before I think about a 2 inch one.

A couple of questions
1) the screwing eye piece adapter has a single set screw to hold the eye eject In place. I'm not happy with digging screw gouges in my eye piece barrels. How do you approach problem?
2) do you have a 2 inch wheel as well? If so, when/why do you pick one or the other?
3) this Orion model is sturdy, and then fittings are tight. Would you select a different model from another vendor if you were to do again?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Fred1
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/19/07

Loc: Somewhere in the Orion Spur
Re: Filter wheels new [Re: MRNUTTY]
      #5618696 - 01/12/13 09:52 AM

Quote:

1) the screwing eye piece adapter has a single set screw to hold the eye eject In place. I'm not happy with digging screw gouges in my eye piece barrels. How do you approach problem?

Replaced mine with a nylon screw. But I forget what thread it is. Just bring the stock screw to a hardware store. Buy several white ones if they have them. They're easier to see in the dark.

MRNUTTY
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: Mendon, MA
Re: Filter wheels new [Re: Fred1]
      #5619119 - 01/12/13 01:56 PM

Now, that's a great idea! Thanks Fred, perfect! I can also use that on the visual back of my C6 :-)

Pages: 1

Extra information
10 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  cbwerner, tecmage, rflinn68 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 412

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics