Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Mounts

Pages: 1
donnie3
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/15/04

Loc: bartlesville oklahoma
question about the meades lx80 mount
      #5618216 - 01/11/13 11:30 PM

i have a new cg5 mount but not sure it can handle a meade 10" or celestrons 11" i wont APATURE!!!! was thinking about getting a celestron 9.25 but im not sure i would be happy with this scope going from a meade 8"sct to the celestron 9.25. i was wondering if the lx80 mount has any bugs knowing that its a now mount. i could sell the cg5 and purchase the lx80 meade 10" combo,the price isnt bad. any info, on this mount would be appreciated. thanks, donnie

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Mkofski
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/19/11

Loc: Greenfield, Indiana, USA
Re: question about the meades lx80 mount new [Re: donnie3]
      #5618232 - 01/11/13 11:44 PM

Donnie,

I have an LX80 that I'm happy with. That said, there are users that have had trouble with it supporting the 10" SCT so I don't think I'd risk that combination. I think the 10" Meade is a bit heavier than the 11" Celestron and neither would be ideal on the CG5. The 9.25" on a CG5 would be a nice combo... but have you seen the new mount that Celestron is introducing soon. Check the thread on the Celestron VX mount. That may be just what you are looking for. The VX is also $200 less than the LX80.

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: question about the meades lx80 mount new [Re: Mkofski]
      #5618707 - 01/12/13 10:01 AM

The LX80 can handle LESS weight than a CG5. If you want more payload, think "Atlas EQ-6" or "CGEM," not LX80, that's for dadgum sure.

EFT
Vendor - Deep Space Products

Reged: 05/07/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: question about the meades lx80 mount new [Re: donnie3]
      #5619249 - 01/12/13 03:12 PM

Please read through some of the previous threads on the LX80 and then don't do it. If you need more apature and mount, then move up to a CGEM or Atlas. There are good combo deals on the CGEM/OTA.

Pages: 1

Extra information
23 registered and 38 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Dave M, richard7, bilgebay, iceblaze 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 564

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics